X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beresford
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    I have the chosen recording in its 1988 box manifestation. Can anyone here comment on the quality of the transfer in the later box?
    I have the 1988 Warner 18CD box (with photo of a stained glass window) reissued in 2005. The only changes from 1988. as far as I can tell from the notes, are to Turangalila (2000), and Reveil (1993), so I suspect the other tracks are unchanged. On my disc the quartet recording from 1963 is low in audio quality at the beginning, gets better later, but still sounds slightly muffled. Probably yours is similar.
    I see from Presto that a 25 CD box is to be released on 13th April 2017. Maybe the audio quality of the quartet will be improved...

Comment

• Beresford
      • Apr 2012

L'Ange qui annonce la fin du Temps

I started listening to the Isserlis + Mustonen performance an hour ago, live on Czech radio, while reading Makropulos on this thread. At the start of the second movement - "Vocalise, pour l'Ange qui annonce la fin du Temps" there was a loud roll of thunder, and the internet, together with the Mustonen sound, was lost. Had me worried for a time!

Comment

• makropulos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
        I have the 1988 Warner 18CD box (with photo of a stained glass window) reissued in 2005. The only changes from 1988. as far as I can tell from the notes, are to Turangalila (2000), and Reveil (1993), so I suspect the other tracks are unchanged. On my disc the quartet recording from 1963 is low in audio quality at the beginning, gets better later, but still sounds slightly muffled. Probably yours is similar.
        I see from Presto that a 25 CD box is to be released on 13th April 2017. Maybe the audio quality of the quartet will be improved...
        From the listing on HMV Japan (which includes details of performances), it looks as if this box includes the EMI Loriod (1990) recording of the Quartet instead of the Erato one.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

I started listening to the Isserlis + Mustonen performance an hour ago, live on Czech radio, while reading Makropulos on this thread. At the start of the second movement - "Vocalise, pour l'Ange qui annonce la fin du Temps" there was a loud roll of thunder, and the internet, together with the Mustonen sound, was lost. Had me worried for a time!
          St Olivier saying "I prefer Tashi"!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

There are many deleterious changes in the later Erato box, mainly concerning inept attempts to remove pre-echo from piano recordings. It was specifically the recordings of the Quartet I was wondering about since I have not heard the later manifestation. I already had the additional works in that later box as separate CDs by the time it was compiled, so I was not in market for it, but have had the misfortune to hear what was done to Yvonne Loriod's piano. Another recording seriously messed about with is that of Trois petites liturgies. I'd rather put up with the print-through of the earlier set. I do know someone who has the later box so will try and listen to that version when the opportunity arises.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
              From the listing on HMV Japan (which includes details of performances), it looks as if this box includes the EMI Loriod (1990) recording of the Quartet instead of the Erato one.
              Some details at amazon.co.uk too. The only mentions of re-mastering I see are of Previn's Turangalila and Messiaen's own recording of some of his organ music.

Comment

• CallMePaul
                • Jan 2014

I missed this BAL due to other commitments. Catching up with these comments and the recommendations, I note that of the 3 recordings listed on the Presto website as "first choice" or "also recommended", one is only available in a mega-box and the others are download only. Can the producers and reviewers please note that a great many classical music buyers do not do downloads (I for one would have to play these on a desktop and sit uncumfortably to listen to the music) and may not want a large box. I find it hard to believe that there is not a recommendable version of this work on a single CD that is widely available. Can reviewers not be asked to make such a recommendation? I have noticed that many recommendations this season have been download only or on discs not generally available in the UK. Would the BBC listen to me if I raised this issue with the Corporation?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

The 2 recommended versions may be found on single CDs if you search them out. The 'winner' is indeed hard to find as a single disc, but the set is, on the whole, worth having. That said, the Tashi is the one to get if you want to hear what Messiaen actually wrote, and that can be found on CD.

Comment

• Beresford
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    There are many deleterious changes in the later Erato box, mainly concerning inept attempts to remove pre-echo from piano recordings. ... but have had the misfortune to hear what was done to Yvonne Loriod's piano.
                    Can you say which are the best of Loriod's "oiseaux" recordings, as I am not familiar with them? I read once that some of the old LP's (Swiss radio?)were the best. There was a Peter Hill track on the radio this morning - very different to Loriod, quite intriguing - how do you rate his playing?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Can you say which are the best of Loriod's "oiseaux" recordings, as I am not familiar with them? I read once that some of the old LP's (Swiss radio?)were the best. There was a Peter Hill track on the radio this morning - very different to Loriod, quite intriguing - how do you rate his playing?
                      In the case of a house fire, Peter Hill's would be the first to be saved of the various recordings of Catalogue d'oiseaux I have, though I would also grab the Accord boxed set "Les permiers enregistrements 1956-1963" which includes Yvonne Loriod's May 1959 stereo set.

Regarding Peter Hill's Messiaen, don't forget his recordings of La Fauvette Passerinette, reconstructed by Hill from Messiaen's near complete sketches. His recordings of La Fauvette des Jardins and Petites d'esquisses d'oiseaux are included with the boxed sets of his Catalogue d'oiseaux.

If you are happy with Amazon mp3s, look at ASIN: B0017HFREY at amazon.co.uk where the price for the Peter Hill recordings of nearly all of Messiaen's piano music, plus the organ music and song cycles (17 CDs worth) is but £5.99!
                      Last edited by Bryn; 23-03-17, 00:18. Reason: Some tidying up of grammar and construction.

Comment

• makropulos
                        • Nov 2010

If you're serious about Loriod's recordings of the Catalogue d'oiseaux, it's well worth hearing her earliest version, made for Ades and once available in a box from the French label Accord (Les Premiers Enregistrements 1956-1962). The sound is adequate and the performances are magnificent. Still, the Erato set is very fine - but beware the transfer in the 2005 Warner 'Messiaen Edition'. I never heard Loriod play the Catalogue live, but the next best thing was Roger Muraro's complete performance at the Cité de la Musique in (if I remember rightly) Autumn 2002. His Accord set is a magnificent modern version.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Did the Beroff De Peyer and Pleeth version get a mention ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            Did the Beroff De Peyer and Pleeth version get a mention ?
                            Yes - some very favourable comments, particularly about Pleeth, IIRC.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                              beware the transfer in the 2005 Warner 'Messiaen Edition'
                              This seems to be getting a hammering here. I got to know the piece from the LPs of that same recording; I bought that box when it came out and I haven't listened to it for a while but I don't remember anything untoward about it - what is the problem actually?

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                                This seems to be getting a hammering here. I got to know the piece from the LPs of that same recording; I bought that box when it came out and I haven't listened to it for a while but I don't remember anything untoward about it - what is the problem actually?
                                See makro's comment in #90, for instance. The 1988 version, which I have, was/is fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X