• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 25.02.17 - Ives: Symphony no. 2

Building a Library: Edward Seckerson assesses currently available recordings of Ives Symphony No. 2 and makes a recommendation.

Although it directly borrows from Bach, Brahms, Wagner, Dvořák and Tchaikovsky, the second symphony was Ives's first work to incorporate the staples of his mature style: the music of urban America. Patriotic, popular and gospel songs rub shoulders with marching band music, fiddle and hymn tunes in a powerfully expressive, quasi-Mahlerian synthesis. No wonder it found a champion in Leonard Bernstein who gave the symphony's triumphant, if belated 1951 premiere, and who began its recorded history.

Available versions:

New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein (DG)
    New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein (Sony)
    New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein (DVD)
    Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Sir Andrew Davis
    The President's Own United States Marine Band, Timothy W Foley (download)
    Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Neeme Jarvi
    Munchner Philharmoniker, James Levine
    Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Andrew Litton
    Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Zubin Mehta
    Seattle Symphony Orchestra, Ludovic Morlot
    Philadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy
    Nashville Symphony Orchestra, Kenneth Schermerhorn
    Nuremberg Symphony Orchestra, Stephen Somary
    Concertgebouw Orchestra, Michael Tilson Thomas (download)
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 25-02-17, 20:22.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Surprisingly few (well to my mind, anyway) non-US orchestras in this list: has the symphony not traveled [sic] well?
    Three versions here: Bernstein (DG and Sony) and Mehta.
    As usual, BaL prompts a reacquaintance, and with fewer versions available than in recent weeks there should be the opportunity for examples from more to be played during the programme.

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

It'll be great to hear from Mr Seckerson again - it's been ages since his last Bal? Always interesting and engaging....

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Bernstein, Litton and sadly even Morlot ruled out as library choices for me due to their sickly extension of the final chord.

Though Pristine's site is currently out of action, I recall that they offer a 50's BBC recording conducted by Bernard Herrmann for download. Herrmann later also recorded it for Decca (Phase 4) but that recording seems to be currently unavailable. I think I would have to come down in favour of the Andrew Davis recording, though its coupling, the 1st Symphony, failed to use the critical edition of the score due to a library error at the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. Such a pity the the Col Legno Saarbrücken Radio Symphony Orchestra / Michael Stern CD seems to have fallen out of the catalogue. It was a fine performance and recording. There is also a very highly regarded live recording with the Yale Symphony Orchestra conducted by James Sinclair available as a download in FLAC andmp3 from bandcamp.com. The price is $10 plus $2 Trumpton tax (£9.96 in all). I have not heard it but have just purchased it.
        Last edited by Bryn; 17-02-17, 13:50. Reason: Update.

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Bernstein, Litton and sadly even Morlot ruled out as library choices for me due to their sickly extension of the final chord.

Though Pristine's site is currently out of action, I recall that they offer a 50's BBC recording conducted by Bernard Herrmann for download. Herrmann later also recorded it for Decca (Phase 4) but that recording seems to be currently unavailable. I think I would have to come down in favour of the Andrew Davis recording, though its coupling, the 1st Symphony, failed to use the critical edition of the score due to a library error at the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. Such a pity the the Col Legno Saarbrücken Radio Symphony Orchestra / Michael Stern CD seems to have fallen out of the catalogue. It was a fine performance and recording. There is also a very highly regarded live recording with the Yale Symphony Orchestra conducted by James Sinclair available as a download in FLAC andmp3 from bandcamp.com. The price is $10. I have not heard it but am about to purchase it.
          Pristine's back online now....

And I agree with you about Sir Andrew Davis (and others) who don't turn the final chord into a caricature.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
            Pristine's back online now....
            Thanks for that good news, PJPJ. I am sure jlw will be pleased to know of it too.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Good Pristine news, but I’ve been on the site (I think) and it’s hard to navigate. I couldn’t find any 1940s or 1950s Furtwangler Bruckner. Any ideas, anyone?

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                Good Pristine news, but I’ve been on the site (I think) and it’s hard to navigate. I couldn’t find any 1940s or 1950s Furtwangler Bruckner. Any ideas, anyone?
                No luck finding the Herrmann Ives 2 there either. Still, this Yale/Sinclair recording of the work I just download via Bandcamp is sounding very good indeed. I have only heard the first movement, and the opening of the second, so far, but this could well end up being my library choice. It's a concert recording, so there are occasional minor fluffs (mainly brass of course) but nothing that bad. It's a bit pricey for less than 46' of music though. You get 3 Dances from Bernstein's On the Town as a starter.
                Last edited by Bryn; 17-02-17, 14:54. Reason: Update.

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

No luck finding the Herrmann Ives 2 there either. .....
                  From the newsletter: "I've had to create hundreds of products, each with multiple variations - and I've got a lot more still to add to the site." The Herrmann Ives 2 will turn up at some stage.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Thanks PJPJ. However, if what I have read of his later recording for Decca is to be trusted, I might hold off anyway.

Coming early next month though:

Mahlerei was a lot less happy than I with the Mebourne/Davis 2nd. O.k. it did not reach the height's of his BBCSO performance during the Radio 3 Ives weekend but I still find much to admire in it. I have thus ordered the forthcoming SACD from MDT (best price I have found).

Comment

• PJPJ
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks PJPJ. However, if what I have read of his later recording for Decca is to be trusted, I might hold off anyway.

Coming early next month though:

Mahlerei was a lot less happy than I with the Mebourne/Davis 2nd. O.k. it did not reach the height's of his BBCSO performance during the Radio 3 Ives weekend but I still find much to admire in it. I have thus ordered the forthcoming SACD from MDT (best price I have found).
                      Snap! I ordered this from MDT today, too. With one or two other bits and pieces like the Morton Gould box. I agree with you about the BBC SO live performance which feels terrific. I wish I'd been there.

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

Looks as though the Concertgebouw/MTT recording (which I have) is available on CD(s) as well as by download:

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                          Looks as though the Concertgebouw/MTT recording (which I have) is available on CD(s) as well as by download:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphonies-...phonies+thomas
                          Only if you're very quick or made of money. There are two copies of the set - one at £35 and the other at twice the price.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Must say I've quite enjoyed the recent selection of works considered for library building.

I like the Davis version too.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Only if you're very quick or made of money. There are two copies of the set - one at £35 and the other at twice the price.
                              It's also, to my ears, the least successful of MTT's Ives recordings. Nonetheless I was very surprised to find both his single disc versions of the 2nd, and his triple album of the Ives symphonic works were currently out of the catalogue.

Comment

Working...
                              X