• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    I think my parents had that record!

Happenstance is a wonderful thing - I was driving Lady Gould to Fenwicks and listening to Radio 2 - R3, or "church music" as it is known, not being allowed - and guess what was the first full track we heard from Gambo? No4 this day in 1974 it would seem ......

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Good grief

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        I think my parents had that record!
        My parents certainly did. (Geoff Love's nom-de-disc, wasn't it?)
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          Happenstance is a wonderful thing - I was driving Lady Gould to Fenwicks and listening to Radio 2 - R3, or "church music" as it is known, not being allowed - and guess what was the first full track we heard from Gambo? No4 this day in 1974 it would seem ......
          Eh?

oh well, hope the Gold card came out intact AG. sounds like a fun afternoon out.......
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Eh?

oh well, hope the Gold card came out intact AG. sounds like a fun afternoon out.......
            Sorry, as they say, my bad 1976 ...

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              I've only ever heard the Adagio of that version..

Nice line!

Clearly the outer movements did not lend themselves to the Davis treatment or with the general smouldering mood of the Sketches album, which is the reason why only the Adagio exists. The entire album is in fact a paean to the flamenco, an extended cry of pain if you will, such that the jollity of those baroque inspired movements would have jarred. Unlike you, however, I can take the Davis version on its own terms which I see as a stunning re-imagination of an existing masterpiece; an evocation which deserves to be ranked at the same level as those by Stravinsky or Berio, for example.

Comment

• Beresford
                • Apr 2012

Listening to the complete work on R3 this morning, I wondered if it would be almost as good (or bad, or noodly) played by a virtuoso (Genevieve Lacey?) on a sopranino recorder, possibly with the orchestral parts, which sound relatively simple, transcribed to a quartet?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I think my problem with transcriptions of this for solo wind instruments is that they can't play chords, they can't strum or do rasgueados (as the soloist is called upon to do in the slow movement) - can they? There's so much more to the guitar part than a single line. I suppose you can distribute the harmonies around other players....but then again, why bother? I can understand players of other instruments wanting to play it, but I don't want to have to listen to them

Comment

• Beresford
                    • Apr 2012

Yes - points taken, and agreed. But I'm still curious as to how it might sound.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

I think my problem with transcriptions of this for solo wind instruments is that they can't play chords, they can't strum or do rasgueados (as the soloist is called upon to do in the slow movement) - can they? There's so much more to the guitar part than a single line. I suppose you can distribute the harmonies around other players....but then again, why bother? I can understand players of other instruments wanting to play it, but I don't want to have to listen to them
                      Or indeed clarinetists who make transcriptions of the Beethoven violin concerto...

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I enjoyed it but was rather baffled by his dismissal of the Williams/Barenboim I cannot hear much wrong with the recording of the guitar on my CD or old LP .

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I think my problem with transcriptions of this for solo wind instruments is that they can't play chords,
                          Actually, they can, with difficulty, and the sound may not be pleasant to everyone's ears. (Slightly off-topic, I know.)

Comment

Working...
                          X