X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karafan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
    There's a much more general point to be made here about Radio 3's attitude to pre hi-fi recordings (ie roughly everything before the mid 1950s). They won't have them except in very rare, special occasions. So they allowed Andrew McGregor to interview me about Nellie Melba's first recordings from 1904 a few years ago, but it was clearly felt that they were taking a big risk. Simply getting one or two complaints has them running for cover.

And it's clear, as others have said here, that transfer technology and skills have improved immeasurably over recent years, so 78s (for example) sound far better than they did.

The blanket ban on old recordings means that music-lovers, teachers and students have no chance of hearing the greatest recorded performers of the past on the radio - among them Patti, Melba, Tetrazzini, Leider, Caruso, Melchior, Paderewski, Kreisler, Rachmaninov, Elgar, Nikisch ... Busch ... . At least, nowadays, we and they can go to YouTube, where transfer skills range from the excellent to the dire.

It's disappointing that so many on these boards seem to share Radio 3's prejudice and lack of courage in this area.
    Bring back 'Vintage Years'!
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Or CD Masters with Cowan and Swayne. They often disagreed, courteously, but had excellent material to reinforce their points.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Or CD Masters with Cowan and Swayne. They often disagreed, courteously, but had excellent material to reinforce their points.
        But neither Cowan nor Swayne typically stray before the mid 1950s. And that can often lead to the impression that that period was some kind of Golden Age, whereas I now feel that it was a period drenched in vibrato and slow tempos!

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

True. But it's a start, or a model for what might be?

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Never heard of this Swayne. Might it be

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              Never heard of this Swayne. Might it be
              It's a possibility, Sir V.

Comment

• ostuni
                • Nov 2010

Confusion with Giles of that ilk?

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Apols: Mis-spelling. Mea culpa.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Should we be expecting some kind of explanation / apology for the fudge between Belcea / Busch?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Should we be expecting some kind of explanation / apology for the fudge between Belcea / Busch?
                      Morally, yes - realistically????
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

I have contacted RR. Had the usual auto-reply.
                        Would love to know what Stephen Johnson thought!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I have contacted RR. Had the usual auto-reply.
                          Ditto with Sunday Morning here - got the "Many thanks - Your comments have been passed on to the the Production Team (as we like to call our waste paper bin)." I got exactly the same message five days later when I re-posted to ask what was the Wast ... Production Team's response.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Yes I don't think they take replying very seriously. I challenged RR over a remark by Tom McKinney (misquoting Julian Bream) on the John Williams box set review last year, they said they'd check with Tom the next time they saw him. Well they've seen him since then. If they had a proper system they wouldn't need reminding (which I can't be bothered to do).

Comment

Working...
                            X