Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Is this part of the 'new truth'?!

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      James Jolly compounded the scandal with a terminological inexactitude (aka a lie), saying the Belcea Quartet was "the Library Choice".
      But should you have "compounded the scandal" by highlighting both Busch and Belcea as winners in your opening post? Let the Busch stand alone, I say!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
        But should you have "compounded the scandal" by highlighting both Busch and Belcea as winners in your opening post? Let the Busch stand alone, I say!
        If they were to adopt our suggestion of a couple of weeks ago, and play two winners, to accommodate historical versions (Sunday and EC on Monday) Mr Busch would have featured twice in a fortnight. In this case, of course, the Busch quartet were the outright winners, so it would have been the Belceas filling the EC slot

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
          I've changed it.

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

Thanks, EA

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Is anyone else reminded of the opening of the Eroica at the start of this quartet,or is it just me ?
              As if it's the start of something new for the future of the string quartet,as the the 3rd heralds a new style of symphonic writing,if that makes sense.
              Maybe I'm talking #####

Comment

• mikealdren
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                Is anyone else reminded of the opening of the Eroica at the start of this quartet,or is it just me ?
                As if it's the start of something new for the future of the string quartet,as the the 3rd heralds a new style of symphonic writing,if that makes sense.
                Maybe I'm talking #####
                Not be but as a digression, I find the start of Op.59/1 and the Archduke trio very similar.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

A while ago I downloaded Busch Late Qtts in FLAC format here. Free.

Comment

• Mal
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                    This is turning into as big a scandal as when Ida Haendel was overlooked for her recording of the Britten violin concerto! So, now we have op. 127 gate to add to Ida gate!
                    It's worse than that. The only explanation for Buschgate is institutional insanity! I heard Leicester City were beaten yesterday; now Gary Lineker can just decide they won, announce it, and then make sure everybody in the sports department goes along with his insanity. Hmmm... is that how Leicester actually won the league last year?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                      It's worse than that. The only explanation for Buschgate is institutional insanity! I heard Leicester City were beaten yesterday; now Gary Lineker can just decide they won, announce it, and then make sure everybody in the sports department goes along with his insanity. Hmmm... is that how Leicester actually won the league last year?
                      Leicester didn’t win the Premiership last season, Manchester United did on goal difference. Last game of the season, and we were second to Arsenal by 13 goal difference. Arsenal got beat 6-0 by Spurs in their last game and we beat Liverpool 8-0 in ours. Funny ol’ game, football.

Comment

• Mal
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        Leicester didn’t win the Premiership last season, Manchester United did on goal difference. Last game of the season, and we were second to Arsenal by 13 goal difference. Arsenal got beat 6-0 by Spurs in their last game and we beat Liverpool 8-0 in ours. Funny ol’ game, football.
                        Sorry Beef, only Gary and Andrew have the power to alter history.

Comment

• silvestrione
                          • Jan 2011

Get over it people. It makes sense to favour the modern recording (SJ did say, the Belcea if you want modern sound, and was full of enthusiasm for their performance) for a library choice where the programme may be reaching listeners new to the work or relatively new to classical music.

I remember years ago a Third Programme feature recommended Toscanini's Beethoven 7th as streets ahead of all other recordings, and I bought it, put the LP on and could hardly believe the horrible noise coming out!

1930s sound is an acquired taste, even if it hugely improved now since those days.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Gets worse. Just discovered that Joyce Hatto is on 2nd violin.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                              It makes sense to favour the modern recording (SJ did say, the Belcea if you want modern sound, and was full of enthusiasm for their performance) for a library choice where the programme may be reaching listeners new to the work or relatively new to classical music.
                              Hmmm. Makes sense? Well, there's certainly an argument for it; but there are arguments both ways, and the fact is that SJ very clearly made the Busch his library choice: it was not a case of Busch and Belcea being first equal for him. The point at issue here is that, that being so, he must have been overruled by someone for the purposes of the Sunday Morning choice (it being the case that the recording played on Sunday Morning, and previously on Essential Classics, has invariably been the reviewer's library choice).

Does it matter? Probably not hugely, in the scheme of things (I can't see this becoming BBC Buschgate). But 'get over it people' is perhaps unnecessarily brutal (calling to mind as it does the mantra of the Brexiteers and Trumpistas), and I don't think your argument really stands up, because the fact remains that the Busch was THE library choice for SJ.

Comment

• silvestrione
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post

But 'get over it people' is perhaps unnecessarily brutal (calling to mind as it does the mantra of the Brexiteers and Trumpistas)
                                WHAT!!!

Now you're definitely over the top...

Comment

Working...
                                X