X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

From what I am hearing and watching now (including you and Tom Hobbs!) a GREAT pity. Herreweghe has captured the madrigalian character of this piece to perfection. I had a quick look to see if Collegium Vocale Ghent's version is available on CD, but I cannot find it. An argument for including (free) Youtube versions on Record Review?

Comment

• Chris Watson
      • Jun 2011

Herreweghe definitely has the measure of that piece! I did a 13 gig/12 day tour of it a few years ago, including the two basses and one of the tenors from the original recording (Adrian Peacock, Peter Kooij and Simon Berridge), and this film, which we made a few years later, includes Peter Kooij and Maria CK (also on the original recording). They did it more recently with a different team, which I think is also available on the internet (filmed rather than recorded). In defense of the Gallicantus version (which also features me - sorry!) it is tricky to put across the energy and connection between the movements that comes naturally in live performance. I love the piece so much I'd find it hard to choose a favourite version!

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Just finished...and it was FABULOUS! Very moving...I have moist eyes as I type. I'd really recommend anyone who enjoyed the tantalising bits from BAL to put aside a half-hour and go for total immersion.

Is there a CD or DVD version in the market-place, Chris?

Comment

• Chris Watson
          • Jun 2011

Sadly I don't think it was ever released. I shall ask!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            A wonderful opportunity to present this marvellous Music to a wider audience, but which fell very short of the mark when it came to the crunch, I felt.
            Agreed - likewise with all the in your post ferney!

Heard this BAL at last today (third-time lucky - fell asleep the first two attempts ... a tribute to the rather repetitive, uninspiring 'duo' chat).

Have to say on the extracts played, Gallicantus did sound the best - their final motet was totally absorbing and moving too.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              From what I am hearing and watching now (including you and Tom Hobbs!) a GREAT pity. Herreweghe has captured the madrigalian character of this piece to perfection. I had a quick look to see if Collegium Vocale Ghent's version is available on CD, but I cannot find it.
              See:

On the strength of the enthusiastic reactions above, I've just ordered it from French Amazon.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

That's Herrewegher, but not Collegium Vocale Ghent. I'm sure it will be excellent....may even share some of the voices. Chris W. can no doubt tell us!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

That's Herrewegher, but not Collegium Vocale Ghent. I'm sure it will be excellent....may even share some of the voices. Chris W. can no doubt tell us!
                  This Ensemble Vocal Européen version was the one that was frequently illustrated in the BaL and was (sort-of) "runner-up". I thought it sounded stunning, and have put it on my "wish list" - having checked to make sure it isn't in the big HM "Sacred Music" box (it isn't ).
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Européen
                    I think Caroline Gill may be a Brexiteuse - she pronounced this "Euro-pain"....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      I think Caroline Gill may be a Brexiteuse - she pronounced this "Euro-pain"....
                      Or, perhaps, a comment on her co-reviewer?
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Or, perhaps, a comment on her co-reviewer?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Oops! I'm afraid that I didn't listen to the programme - and have been put off doing so by the reactions of trusted forumistas - so apologies for failing to pick up on the more up to date performers under the direction of PH.

Comment

• cincinnatus
                            • Mar 2011

This Ensemble Vocal Européen version was the one that was frequently illustrated in the BaL and was (sort-of) "runner-up". I thought it sounded stunning, and have put it on my "wish list" - having checked to make sure it isn't in the big HM "Sacred Music" box (it isn't ).
                            I knew nothing of this music before the programme. I spent some time listening to the extracts available on Presto Classical and came to the conclusion that I didn't want a recording with instruments or with a choir. I liked Gallicantus but went for Ensemble Vocal Europeen because Harmonia Mundi were selling a new copy for £3.31 on Amazon Marketplace. So having already got the Herreweghe and thinking that that and Gallicantus were the 2 best I felt quite smug when Caroline Gill went for those two.

Comment

Working...
                            X