X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    I thought that that was based on a Hungarian folk melody? (I "remember" seeing an Open University programme in which Christorpher Hogwood led a performance of the chamber version where - I'm sure - the claim was made. They played the original melody, which was in six-bar phrases, rather than Haydn's four-bar phrasing adaptation (in the original, Haydn's bars 3-4 are repeated with the last note altered.)
    I think I have that programme on an old VHS tape, I must look it out. But I do remember someone once saying the tune went with 'Hot Cross Buns, Hot Cross Buns' etc. Probably a rather fanciful idea, but a nice one nonetheless!

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      I think I have their 'Paris' set (I have guests occupying my house for the Thanksgiving Holiday and my CDs are in a guest bedroom so am unable to verify). All my Haydn listening of late is from the Decca box featuring Hogwood and Bruggen
      The difference is that Kuijken recorded the Paris symphonies with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, Richard. And those are very good indeed.

Comment

• reinerfan
        • Nov 2010

It's a pity that the venerable Wöldike recording of the last 6 "London" Symphonies is no longer available. Despite many, many other versions, it remains one of my favourites.
        Last edited by reinerfan; 26-11-16, 10:17.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Chamber Orchestra of Europe conducted by Claudio Abbado, Alpie?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Chamber Orchestra of Europe conducted by Claudio Abbado, Alpie?
            Apologies, BBM, for being a nit-picking pedant but Abbado didn't actually record No 99 - or, if he did, DG have never got round to releasing it.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              The boxset linked to above - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is indeed the 24-bit JVC K2 remaster and the sound is wonderful, near-perfect alignment of tonal neutrality, detail, presence and a three-dimensional acoustic. Just a shame then (having bought it from the ever-reliable samurai media) that I found Kuijken's Haydn rather straight laced and pofaced....
              Wholly agree about the recording but I beg to differ on the performances - or maybe it's the Presbyterian Scot in me that finds Jayne's straight-laced and po-faced to be wholly acceptable. I love this set so much that I have to confess to owning a copy in France and a copy in Scotland. If I'm feeling in the need for a bit of cheering up, they never fail to do the trick.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                Apologies, BBM, for being a nit-picking pedant but Abbado didn't actually record No 99 - or, if he did, DG have never got round to releasing it.
                Just saw that, saw that HD! Many thanks. That's strange.
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Wholly agree about the recording but I beg to differ on the performances - or maybe it's the Presbyterian Scot in me that finds Jayne's straight-laced and po-faced to be wholly acceptable. I love this set so much that I have to confess to owning a copy in France and a copy in Scotland. If I'm feeling in the need for a bit of cheering up, they never fail to do the trick.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

The 99th is one of only two Haydn symphonies that Haitink has recorded - and they were both set down right at the beginning of his career. It's a sad and curious omission as he has performed several of them often in concert. As it was, Colin Davis recorded the 'London' symphonies with the Concertgebouw and his set is almost always my first port of call for 93 -104.

Of others, Szell is unexpectedly charming and elegant in Haydn as is, also unexpectedly perhaps, Bernstein.

I daresay a HIPP recording will be chosen as almost seems inevitable in this sort of repertoire so I'll stay happy with those I have.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

After this advocacy I may try again, but I was bitten by the Bruggen bug early on, and no-one quite matches him, for me in this repertoire (nods to Harnoncourt, Fey, Antonini, Dantone...), despite those cavernous Dutch acoustics on the Philips Duos - which in any case tend to sound better, the better the system is. Trying them now I rather warmed to the spaciousness. (Can anyone tell me if these recordings have been remastered in the recent Haydn 107 box?).

But then came...

The marvellous SWR/Norrington set, which has such tonal beauty and precision in the sound, joy and sheer élan in the partnership (you can hear the affection between conductor and band, bar-by-bar) that it's hard for me to imagine better. Just a shade rich in sonority compared to Bruggen's O18C but never overbearing.

(Sorry, I'd go into greater detail but inter-health-alia I'm afflicted with severe headaches which rapidly worsen looking at this screen - I have to write anything beyond a line or two in Pages, bit by bit, then paste them here later.... )

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Great to hear from you again, Jayne. Sorry to hear about your health issues.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

After this advocacy I may try again, but I was bitten by the Bruggen bug early on, and no-one quite matches him, for me in this repertoire (nods to Harnoncourt, Fey, Antonini, Dantone...), despite those cavernous Dutch acoustics on the Philips Duos - which in any case tend to sound better, the better the system is. Trying them now I rather warmed to the spaciousness. (Can anyone tell me if these recordings have been remastered in the recent Haydn 107 box?).

But then came...

The marvellous SWR/Norrington set, which has such tonal beauty and precision in the sound, joy and sheer élan in the partnership (you can hear the affection between conductor and band, bar-by-bar) that it's hard for me to imagine better. Just a shade rich in sonority compared to Bruggen's O18C but never overbearing.

(Sorry, I'd go into greater detail but inter-health-alia I'm afflicted with severe headaches which rapidly worsen looking at this screen - I have to write anything beyond a line or two in Pages, bit by bit, then paste them here later.... )
                          Take care Jayne,great to hear from you

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            Take care Jayne,great to hear from you
                            Concur. Take care. Look after yourself Jayne. We come second or third even, your health is more important.
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Daniel
                              • Jun 2012

I was bitten by the Bruggen bug early on, and no-one quite matches him, for me in this repertoire

The marvellous SWR/Norrington set
                              Coincidentally, I was listening to No.104 yesterday from these two sets, both overflowing with joyful music making. Norrington seemed very fast in the last movement after listening to Bruggen, but perhaps Bruggen would have seemed rather slow if I'd done it the other way round. Anyway, more exploring to do, at the end of which I hope to end up with one or the other of them, adorning my shelves.

Very sorry to hear of your ailments, how these things interfere with life.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                                • Nov 2010

But then came...

Jayne

Very sorry indeed to read of your affliction and hoping that it gets at least sufficiently better for you to feel able to brighten our respective days with your inimitable posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X