X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Who cares a fig about fashion? Great music making transcends such a concept.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Who cares a fig about fashion? Great music making transcends such a concept.
      Wotchoo talkin' 'bout, Alpie?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        more a tone of puzzlement that JEG should seem to share such an outdated and unjust opinion of the works.
        On the other hand he has indeed performed most of that music in its cantata form, which is more than most people have. These days I'm not so keen on listening to Bach's sacred vocal music performed by a choir anyway. The Cantus Cölln recording of the works under discussion will do very well for me.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I've heard The sixteen and the Bach Collegium Japan, thus far, I will be playing the Pymalion recording later today. Not much in these, really.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Good BAL, some great music.

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            I once got hold of the Cantus Koln set, but sold it on, as I thought some of the singers sounded distinctly off..a problem I have encountered before with their recordings.
            I was surprised to see from the prestoclassical site that these works were on BAL as recently as June 2008 and that the Cantus Köln set 'won'...

Currently comparing my Suzuki set with the Pygmalion/Pichon set chosen on Saturday (which is available on iTunes Music as well as the streaing sites mentioned above). Not sure overall I'm persuaded I need another complete collection - the solo movements in general don't excite me hugely.

But the Gloria of the F major BWV233, which is one of my favourite pieces in all Bach (in all music, indeed) is actually even better played by Pygmalion I think - absolutely exhilarating. Heathen that I am, I'm inclined to cherry-pick a handful of the choral/orchestral movements by downloading (the Cum Sancto Spiritu of BWV233 is pretty bloody fine too for instance).
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

What's the prices like on prestoclassical, Cali?
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ostuni
                • Nov 2010

I haven't yet had a chance to listen to this BAL: looking forward to it later today. They're wonderful pieces - I've played most of them over the years, and always wondered why they weren't done more often (if only for the approachable/familiar nature of their texts: easier for us Brits to assimilate than the often knotty Lutheran theology of the cantata originals...).

JF-A and others are wrong about JEG's present-day views, though. I was browsing through a colleague's (online) diary yesterday, and saw that she's on tour with him and the EBS, during the first couple of weeks of December, playing the Lutheran Masses in Holland, France, Germany & ending in London. Interesting - though JEG wouldn't be my own first choice for this music, there will probably be a recording associated with the project.
                Last edited by ostuni; 24-11-16, 15:36.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  What's the prices like on prestoclassical, Cali?
                  It's slightly strange and annoying, Bbm - on presto, one of the CDs is available to download, but the other (the one with BWV233 ) is described as 'not available in your country' So a 'lossless' download (or MP3 for that matter) of my favourite tracks wasn't possible from prestoclassical.

However, all are available in MP3 format on iTunes and Amazon - 79p a track from the former, 99p from the latter which I used because I had some credit which reduced the price to almost nothing.

Strange about the geographical limitation at prestos though.

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Who cares a fig about fashion?
                    Well, you do Alpie. Perhaps more than any of us.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      It's slightly strange and annoying, Bbm - on presto, one of the CDs is available to download, but the other (the one with BWV233 ) is described as 'not available in your country' So a 'lossless' download (or MP3 for that matter) of my favourite tracks wasn't possible from prestoclassical.

However, all are available in MP3 format on iTunes and Amazon - 79p a track from the former, 99p from the latter which I used because I had some credit which reduced the price to almost nothing.

Strange about the geographical limitation at prestos though.
                      Oh, that's strange. On amazon you can get both on the hard physical CD?
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        Oh, that's strange. On amazon you can get both on the hard physical CD?
                        ... easily available. And highly recommended.

For three CDs some £16 if you get it from dodax, I've used them frequently.

Comment

• cincinnatus
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Good BAL, some great music.

[COLOR="#0000FF"]I was surprised to see from the prestoclassical site that these works were on BAL as recently as June 2008 and that the Cantus Köln set 'won'...

Currently comparing my Suzuki set with the Pygmalion/Pichon set chosen on Saturday (which is available on iTunes Music as well as the streaing sites mentioned above). Not sure overall I'm persuaded I need another complete collection - the solo movements in general don't excite me hugely.

But the Gloria of the F major BWV233, which is one of my favourite pieces in all Bach (in all music, indeed) is actually even better played by Pygmalion I think - absolutely exhilarating. Heathen that I am, I'm inclined to cherry-pick a handful of the choral/orchestral movements by downloading (the Cum Sancto Spiritu of BWV233 is pretty bloody fine too for instance).[/COLOR]
                          Sorry, Cali, but in 2008 only the F major Mass BWV 233 was considered. The Junghanel recording which 'won' then is included in Harmonia Mundi's wonderful box set 'Sacred Music'.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cincinnatus View Post
                            Sorry, Cali, but in 2008 only the F major Mass BWV 233 was considered. The Junghanel recording which 'won' then is included in Harmonia Mundi's wonderful box set 'Sacred Music'.
                            Ah thanks - I wondered if it might have been the case, and that the prestoclassical site is misleading. I'd better listen to the Junghanel BWV 233 Gloria then, to see how it matches up.

Comment

Working...
                            X