X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

I looked on Presto after Amazon, but obviously overlooked it!

Anyway, I’m not in the market. I just played the Amadeus through while tidying up the breakfast clutter and it is a wonderful performance.

Edit: R3 sells? I see that Presto have already updated their listing for this CD, boasting 'Building A Library First Choice October 2016' with the Red Radio 3 logo!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Amazon is perplexed,

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

- an hour ago, the disc was listed as "Currently Unavailable - we don't know when it will become available" when I searched (under "Leipzig Quartet", "Leipzig Quartet, Brahms"; "Leipzig Quartet, Sextet"; "Brahms Sextet", "MDG Brahms sextet" - it wasn't for the want of trying. Nor for the realization that I really should have better things to do with my life on a Saturday morning!)
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

I missed the BaL this morning. Was any mention made of when the chosen recording will be broadcast?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I missed the BaL this morning. Was any mention made of when the chosen recording will be broadcast?
            The implication was that it isn't - the regular broadcast of the chosen one has been swept away on the tides of the river.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• PJPJ
              • Nov 2010

and

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

I, too, wasn't 'taken' with the laurel-clad winner. Sounded a bit laboured - not free-flowing enough. Anyway - I was taken with the extracts of the Amadeus's recording. And - no doubt for all the wrong reasons(!) the Menuhin extract... which I see has Maurice Gendron playing a cello. That's a big plus point for me.

For now, I'll have to be content with my two versions - Raphael and Stern/Ma et al, which I don't think got the merest mention... both very satisfying performances, nevertheless.
                Last edited by visualnickmos; 29-10-16, 15:06.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Academy of St Martin (Ken Sillito and friends) got an honourable mention....think I'll leave it at that.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    Academy of St Martin (Ken Sillito and friends) got an honourable mention....think I'll leave it at that.
                    I gave this a spin on Spotify and rather liked it. Had a lot of flow to it and I prefer this version to the recommended one!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      I gave this a spin on Spotify and rather liked it. Had a lot of flow to it and I prefer this version to the recommended one!
                      I noticed this enticing-looking Brahms Chamber Box bargain selection coming up from France Musique. The Academy of St M recording you mention is on there. A couple of duplicates for me but also many recordings I would like to get to know. I think I may well get it. Already out in France where you can listen to samples.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

If it is correct that the Raphael did not even get a mention this sounds like a BAL worth skipping on i-player

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          If it is correct that the Raphael did not even get a mention this sounds like a BAL worth skipping on i-player
                          Spot-on.
                          Same goes for the Naxos recording with the superb Stuttgart Soloists - a lovely CD of both the sestets.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            I noticed this enticing-looking Brahms Chamber Box bargain selection coming up from France Musique. The Academy of St M recording you mention is on there. A couple of duplicates for me but also many recordings I would like to get to know. I think I may well get it. Already out in France where you can listen to samples.
                            All in French, though?
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              They were favourably mentioned, but reviewer thought they were a tiny bit too polite, underpowered IIRC.
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Im listening to the ensemble led by Augustin Dumay on ONYX Classics. Gorgeous playing. Definitely 'up there' with best, IMHO, if not displacing my beloved LPO Principals led by Rodney Friend. (Which seems to have slipped under the drivers seat of the PG limo!)

Comment

Working...
                                X