X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

A brilliant BaL. I was hooked from beginning to end.

But the end was the problem. For the third week running, the recommended BaL version wasn't available in the UK. Indeed, this one is reputedly unavailable anywhere. Not helpful.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
      So before we get into the usual debate on TK's choice of the best recording, shall we discuss whether BaL has afforded any of us a radical conversion to Flecha?
      I've just ordered a Marketplace copy of the Ensemble Clement Janequin disc, not the Musique D'Abord reissue but the original, hopefully with better notes, texts & translations. Marketplace s/h, so cheaper than a new reissue So you may conclude that I liked the programme

Some of the music did sound slightly familiar, so possibly an odd bit of Flecha may still crawl out of a dusty corner of my shelves. Main suspicion attaches to a hazily-recollected Oiseau-Lyre LP sampler which may have included some of the Philip Pickett recordings. But find it I cannot
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I enjoyed this BAL too, and as mentioned somewhere upthread, Tess did have some quite firm opinions about what she didn't like! This is all new to me, but my only reservation about the 'winners' La Colombina, a purely vocal group, is that the recording sounded as if it had some artificial reverb added. It didn't sound much like a 'natural' acoustic....as it came over on my best analogue radio equipment. (Which I gather is the only way I'm likely to hear it!) Did anyone else notice this?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          A brilliant BaL. I was hooked from beginning to end.

But the end was the problem. For the third week running, the recommended BaL version wasn't available in the UK. Indeed, this one is reputedly unavailable anywhere. Not helpful.
          Is this the CD in question?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Las-Ensalad...%3A+B002DMIJC4*

* now bought from La Chaumière for 6 euros
          Last edited by HighlandDougie; 22-10-16, 15:31.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
            Also to be found on QOBUZ for €9.99 lossless CD rate. No digital version of the booklet though.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              This too is a La Colombina disc with a couple of the Flecha ensaladas still at an affordable price https://www.amazon.co.uk/Justa-Madri...ords=colombina

IIRC Tess Knighton said there have been four La Colombina Flecha discs in total, but such as I've found are all multi-composer anthologies.

It's clearly time for a "Flecha's Greatest Hits" album

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                I've just ordered a Marketplace copy of the Ensemble Clement Janequin disc, not the Musique D'Abord reissue but the original, hopefully with better notes, texts & translations. Marketplace s/h, so cheaper than a new reissue So you may conclude that I liked the programme

Some of the music did sound slightly familiar, so possibly an odd bit of Flecha may still crawl out of a dusty corner of my shelves. Main suspicion attaches to a hazily-recollected Oiseau-Lyre LP sampler which may have included some of the Philip Pickett recordings. But find it I cannot
                This is the New London Consort disc, which can be had second-hand for around a tenner:

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

A small word of caution. Completists need to look carefully at what they're getting for their money! This disc https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insalata/dp...words=insalata has come to light on my shelves and claims to feature Flecha's La Bomba running to a vast 2'15" when this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Water-...eywords=flecha has it at 11'59".

The first disc has just the 'mistuned guitar' episode extensively explored this morning whereas presumably the latter has several more movements - F's ensaladas do seem to be multi-movement works running typically to 10-15 minutes.

Odd that the Fagiolini CD isn't more forthcoming when another track on it is carefully labelled as "Janequin La Chasse (part 2)"

Comment

Working...
                  X