• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 15.10.16 - Cabaret

Building a Library: Richard Sisson compares recordings of Kander and Ebb's 1966 musical 'Cabaret', based on Christopher Isherwood's 1939 novel 'Goodbye to Berlin'. It was made in to a film in 1972 but there have also been many stage productions, many of which have been captured on record. Which one recreates the atmosphere of the Kit Kat Klub most effectively?

1972 film
    Liza Minnelli, Michael York, Helmut Griem, Joel Grey, Fritz Wepper

1968 London Cast
    Judi Dench, Lila Kedrova, Peter Sallis, Kevin Colson, Barry Dennen. Offizielle

Original Broadway Cast of Cabaret, Joel Grey (vocal), Cabaret Ensemble (vocal), Fred Ebb (lyricist), Don Walker (orchestrator), Lotte Lenya (vocal), Jill Haworth (vocal), Pierre Fournier (editor), Bert Convy (vocal), Mary Ehara (vocal), Rita O’Connor (vocal), Jack Gilford (vocal), Robert Sharp (vocal), Kit Kat Band, Fred Ebb (vocal), John Kander (vocal)

London Cast Recording, Barry Dennen (vocal), Fred Ebb (lyricist), Lila Kedrova (vocal), Judi Dench (vocal), Kevin Colson (vocal), Venetia Fernandez (vocal), Maggie Goodwin (vocal), Peter Sallis (vocal), Kit Kat Band, Richard Owens (vocal), Pamela Strong (vocal), Cabaret (Original London Cast) (download)

New Broadway Cast of Cabaret (1998), Alan Cumming (vocal), Cabaret Ensemble (1998) (vocal), Fred Ebb (lyricist), James Nichols (recording engineer), Ken Hahn, (engineer), Greg Thompson (assistant engineer), Chuck Bailey (assistant engineer), Sam Mendes (director), Rob Marshall (misc. prod.), Michael Gibson (orchestrator), John Monaco (coordinator), Mary Louise Wilson (vocal), Natasha Richardson (vocal), John Benjamin Hickey (vocal), Erin Hill (vocal), Michael O’Donnell (vocal), Ron Rifkin (vocal), Alex Bowen (vocal), Patrick Vaccariello (director), Ken Hahn (engineer), Michele Pawk (vocal), Denis O’Hare (vocal), Cabaret Orchestra (1998), Joyce Chittick (vocal)

Arditi Catherine (Interprète), Arondel Catherine (Interprète), Bennett Robyn (Interprète), Bof (Interprète), Bonfils Tony (Interprète), Chambert François (Interprète), Chanfrault Axel (Interprète), Ewing Alison (Interprète), Fossemalle Christophe (Interprète), Glet Daniel (Interprète), Grandsart Delphine (Interprète), Guazzo Didier (Interprète), Guerrier Geoffroy (Interprète), Jetner Eric (Interprète), Lemesle Manon (Interprète), Lustenberger Pia (Interprète), Mazet Patrick (Interprète), Menasche Dan (Interprète), Mignat Franck (Interprète), Pebayle Xavier (Interprète), Perot Claire (Interprète), Perrier Virginie (Interprète), Reggiani Pierre (Interprète), Richard Fabian (Interprète), Senesse Audrey (Interprète), Skouri Haykel (Interprète), Van Hille Benoît (Interprète), Victor Julie (Interprète)
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 15-10-16, 11:18.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... hooray! A free Saturday morning!!!

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Exactly.

What on EARTH is happening at R3?
      R2 lives.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Building a Library: Richard Sisson compares recordings of Kander and Ebb's 1966 musical 'Cabaret', based on Christopher Isherwood's 1939 novel 'Goodbye to Berlin'. It was made in to a film in 1972 but there have also been many stage productions, many of which have been captured on record. Which one recreates the atmosphere of the Kit Kat Klub most effectively?
        The powers that be on R3 seem hell bend on broadening the approach on the station. It won't be long before Wagner is rubbing shoulders with Stephen Sondheim on a regular basis. An interesting concept!

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Well, I can more or less guarantee that they won't be airing a grossly OTT proto-Lisztian operatic transcription (or more properly apoplectic transgression) for piano on themes therefrom (although the perpatrator thereof might risk finding himself ending up in Court if they did so)..

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            The powers that be on R3 seem hell bend on broadening the approach on the station. It won't be long before Wagner is rubbing shoulders with Stephen Sondheim on a regular basis. An interesting concept!
            As in A Funny Thing Happened on the way to Bayreuth, perhaps? Or Send in the Gibichungs? Or Merrily we Ring Along? Parsific Overtures?...

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Glad to note that Bob Fosse's 1972 Oscar- winning film version of Cabaret is being screened on BBC 2, Sat, 8 Oct, 22.35-12.30 hrs. Based on Christopher Isherwood's memoir on the Berlin cafe society of the 1930s with Liza Minnelli's 'divinely decadent' as Sally Bowles. Include me in!
              Last edited by Stanley Stewart; 07-10-16, 15:20. Reason: spell..ung!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                Glad to note that Bob Fosse's 1972 Oscar- winning film version of Cabaret is being screened on BBC 2, Sat, 8 Oct, 22.35-12.30 hrs. Based on Christopher Isherwood's memoir on the Berlin cafe society of the 1930s with Liza Minnelli's 'divinely decadent' as Sally Bowles. Include me in!

The classic film was part of my growing up and I have a deep affection for it. The music is superb and means as much to me as any 'classical' work. I, for one, will be tuning in.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... hooray! A free Saturday morning!!!
                  Exactly!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I hope forumites will forgive me. I started to produce a list of available recordings, but I began losing the will to live, and listened to some Mozart Piano Sonatas instead.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

I hope forumites will forgive me. I started to produce a list of available recordings, but I began losing the will to live, and listened to some Mozart Piano Sonatas instead.
                      Good approach, Alpie, and one that might come in handy if you don't get enough advance warning from a kind friend of future BaLs to compile a list in time for meaningful discussion. A little bird tells me that that might indeed be the case.

The thread can become more like the Summer BaL ones.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

The warning from a kind friend is gratefully appreciated.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                          The classic film was part of my growing up and I have a deep affection for it. The music is superb and means as much to me as any 'classical' work. I, for one, will be tuning in.

The film score was significantly different from the theatre piece, pasto. I have the Judy Dench/Peter Sallis version, so won't need another. Might listen, all the same.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

Not just forgiven, but fully supported and not just by me, but many on here, I would think....

Cabaret on BaL.... what a joke.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              As in A Funny Thing Happened on the way to Bayreuth, perhaps? Or Send in the Gibichungs? Or Merrily we Ring Along? Parsific Overtures?...
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X