Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

I like Zimerman in Chopin; I haven't heard him in the concertos.

Was there a reason the disc never got played?

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I have too many recordings of this work and love Argerich,Fliter.Zimerman and others . my favourite remains the Pollini/Kletzki on EMI

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        If you get the excellent one from Frans Bruggen, mentioned above by Vinteuil:

Dang Thai Son with the Orchestra of the 18th century, Bruggen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0027OSS60 - then you will get both concertos on one disc.
        Also one of my favourites.

I have two Rubinsteins: Skrowaczewski, as mentioned. Also Live Carnegie Hall 1947 with Bruno Walter in poor sound but with great atmosphere and pianism.

Olli Mustonen with Herbert Blomstedt and LA Phil might be shortlisted but probably won't win.

Newest acquisition is Argerich/Kaspszyk - very good.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
          ANTONI WIT, conductor!

YES!

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

I am amazed when I look at Alpie's list how many versions that I own normally obtained as part of a larger set. I much prefer solo Chopin to the Concertos. My favorite is Rubinstein/Wallenstein but I also have Argerich, Ohlsonn, Perahia, Zimmerman, Gilels and probably a few I can't think of right now...

Comment

• mikealdren
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              It isn't. That one was so long that it spilt over on to post 2. Maybe you forgot to count that one?
              Too true, it did seem odd!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I think I will skip this another dreaded live BAL.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  It's such an awful format usually ruined by unprofressional cross-talk, AMcG more often than not the guilty party talking all over his guests; it's their opinion I'd rather hear.
                  It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                    It's such an awful format usually ruined by unprofressional cross-talk, AMcG more often than not the guilty party talking all over his guests; it's their opinion I'd rather hear.
                    As I've said ad nauseam, if Andrew wants to do a BaL, he's more than capable of doing a review himself. I expect it would be brilliant. But not these annoying twofers.

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      I like Zimerman in Chopin; I haven't heard him in the concertos.

Was there a reason the disc never got played?
                      Thank you vinteuil.

I think it was because of fear that it could not surpass the solo piano music, as you have hinted yourself.
                      I also, irrationally, regard romantic concertos as 'showing off'.
                      However, now that I have rediscovered the CD, I promise to listen to it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                        I think it was because of fear that it could not surpass the solo piano music, as you have hinted yourself.
                        I also, irrationally, regard romantic concertos as 'showing off'.
                        The concertos aren't Chopin's best works, nor the best Piano Concertos - but I love them both dearly, and there's no more showing off than in (for example) the Etudes, Padraig: lovely, lyrical works - I think you'll like them a lot.

I have a couple of versions: Rubinstein with Stan the Man, and Cali's neighbour*. (I also have Pollini on a casette somewhere.) I would have been very interested to hear SM-P's individual comments on the work, but cannot abide Record Review when it turns into (read "becomes even more") the Andrew McGregor Show, so I'll just wait to read Forumistas' comments on the review next week.

* = Tamas Vasary
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          The concertos aren't Chopin's best works, nor the best Piano Concertos - but I love them both dearly, and there's no more showing off than in (for example) the Etudes, Padraig: lovely, lyrical works - I think you'll like them a lot.
                          For those with pianistic ambitions, these are fun to play ay home, even without the orchestra (really a plush cushion for the soloist to rest upon). I never tried this until I'd seen The Lady in the Van.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

My two 'go to' versions of Chopin's piano concertos are Emanuel Ax, with Ormandy/Philadelphia and the Naxos recording by Istvan Szekely, with the Budapest Symphony Orchestra/Gyula Nemeth. The Naxos being one of those 'worth a punt for a quid' sale items - well-worth it.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              My two 'go to' versions of Chopin's piano concertos are Emanuel Ax, with Ormandy/Philadelphia and the Naxos recording by Istvan Szekely, with the Budapest Symphony Orchestra/Gyula Nemeth. The Naxos being one of those 'worth a punt for a quid' sale items - well-worth it.
                              Phew! Credibilty preserved.

Not a great fan of Chopin, but it is this Naxos version of the concertos that sits on my shelves and occasionally gets a spin!

Comment

• Parry1912
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                Is there anybody who likes this format? Why do they keep doing it?

Incidentally, must give a mention to the Perahia/IPO/Mehta recording. One of my favourites.
                                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                                X