• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    I think some explaining is necessary!
    Oop North, kazoo marching bands are commonly known as "jazz bands". They commonly also include glockenspiels on sticks. It confused the Hell out of me when I saw an advertisement for one in Blackpool and went along expecting something very different.

Jazz band kazoos.
    Last edited by Bryn; 23-06-16, 13:43. Reason: Link added.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Oop North, kazoo marching bands are commonly known as "jazz bands".
      Having lived in that region, man and boy, for forty-three of my fifty-six years (Lancashire, Yorkshire, Durham), can I put it on record that this is the first time I have ever heard Marching Bands so described! (Not that "commonly-known", I suggest: more - or "at least as commonly" referred to as "Silver Bands". )

It confused the Hell out of me when I saw an advertisement for one in Blackpool and went along expecting something very different.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• waldo
        • Mar 2013

Oop North, kazoo marching bands are commonly known as "jazz bands".....
        I think they called them that when I was growing up in South Wales.........I'll have to check with my mother later on (she was either in one or aspired to be one: I remember her practising baton twirling in the back garden.) Anyway, whatever they were called, they used to come through the streets from time to time...........as did the rag-and-bone van and the Alpine pop lorry...........

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by waldo View Post
          ..... as did the rag-and-bone van and the Alpine pop lorry...........
          "Van"?! There's posh! (Proper old horse & cart a la Steptoe round our way.) And Stanton's provided the pop - in huge glass (formerly stoneware) flagons.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

See also,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INSxzCpzGGU and http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/remember-when-golden-age-north-7368395 . .

Last edited by Bryn; 23-06-16, 17:05.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Well - I'll go to the foot of our stairs!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Well, I am glad Mahler had the sense of not to use them!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Gone a bit off topic, perhaps....... ?

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Well, I am glad Mahler had the sense of not to use them!
                    And there was I hooping you would take up the implied challenge of arranging the Trauermarsch for such a bugled kazoo marching 'jazz band'.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

And there was I hooping you would take up the implied challenge of arranging the Trauermarsch for such a bugled kazoo marching 'jazz band'.
                      Not in a month of Sundays!
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

I am currently listening to Levine/Philadelphia, a recording from 1977. Very impressive. My only quibble is the finale which is a bit glib and races to the finish line, missing some of the scenery along the way. It is also fascinating to hear the Philadelphia from this time, as Ormandy's Orchestra was being transformed by Muti, here being led by a disciple of Szell. The strings do not have that fat Ormandy sound, which is a bit of a loss in the Adagietto, but more of a silky fist in glove kind of presence. The brass and winds are exemplary. It is to bad that in the glut of Mahler recordings a fine entry like this can be so overlooked.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                          I am currently listening to Levine/Philadelphia, a recording from 1977. Very impressive. My only quibble is the finale which is a bit glib and races to the finish line, missing some of the scenery along the way. It is also fascinating to hear the Philadelphia from this time, as Ormandy's Orchestra was being transformed by Muti, here being led by a disciple of Szell. The strings do not have that fat Ormandy sound, which is a bit of a loss in the Adagietto, but more of a silky fist in glove kind of presence. The brass and winds are exemplary. It is to bad that in the glut of Mahler recordings a fine entry like this can be so overlooked.
                          Agree with your comments about the Levine recording. I praised it on here upon its reissue in the Sony box in 2010 and must play it again.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

After watching a moving documentary about Bernstein's last years on Sky Arts I dug out the VPO/Bernstein Mahler 5 . It doesn't pall does it ?

Dragged me back to my 20 year self listening agog to that Prom on the radio that many of you it seems were lucky enough to be at !

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              After watching a moving documentary about Bernstein's last years on Sky Arts I dug out the VPO/Bernstein Mahler 5 . It doesn't pall does it ?

Dragged me back to my 20 year self listening agog to that Prom on the radio that many of you it seems were lucky enough to be at !
                              Oh my! That was years ago that Prom! But what a Prom, even listening to at home!
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                                • Jan 2014

Not sure if you are all fully aware of this, but in case not:
                                This recording comes from the 1987 BBC Proms and, as far as I am aware, is not available commercially.

Bernstein VPO Mahler 5th, Proms RAH 1987. (Poster states the source is a Nicam (HQ Audio) VHS recording of the concert). The ending is pretty blistering.... (for those not already fully acquainted with it).

EDIT : I just tried to play that You Tube again - and got a message " A problem occurred" . I hope it plays generally. I'm not sure, I'm using my 2nd choice browser (Chrome) which can be problematic on my Win7 PC. I have a problem with Firefox, which is my browser of choice.
                                Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 18-09-18, 12:22.

Comment

Working...
                                X