Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Disappointed to find the Delius/Menuhin concerto wasn't in my EMI 'Yehudi Menuhin. The Great EMI Recordings' box set. However, I've got it as a coupling to the Elgar Concerto.

No. It's probably not the 'best' performance of it but Menuhin is such a great artist that I'm prepared to forgive him the occasional slip. I'm always in mind that he was also, from what I've heard and read, a great human being. (The two not always going together!)

I found I've also got Ralph Holmes, Jean Peugeot and Tasmin Little x 2. I must listen to them and try to get to appreciate what, for me, has always been an elusive score. Perhaps the trend of young violinists looking for little known repertoire could give the Delius a try.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      I might ,I suppose had I not known and loved the Ralph Holmes recording so well feel the same way about it and like you bought the CD for the Elgar/Boult which remains an all time great despite the somewhat snotty press it had on BAL and has had from Andrew A in Gramophone.
      Again, it's not flawless and could never be as 'good' as the 16 year old Menuhin but it's still a lovely document.

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        No.
        Was a tongue-in cheek question.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          To be honest, I wasn't too distressed about it until I read the criticism here. But then, I bought the CD for the Elgar.
          Likewise. And a damn good Elgar at that, despite it's detractors.

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

I'm asking myself why I don't listen to the Delius violin concerto more often. In fact, apart from having played in the orchestra as described above , I don't think I've ever heard a live performance of it.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              Again, it's not flawless and could never be as 'good' as the 16 year old Menuhin but it's still a lovely document.
              My first recording of the score on HMV Concert Classics with the original picture of Menuhin and Boult standing on the steps of Abbey Road like Menuhin and Elgar in the 1932 photo . I played it endlessly . The LP of Menuhin and Elgar on HMV Treasury soon followed .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I should give Menuhin's Delius another chance I imagine .

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Jean Peugeot
                  Pougnet, je crois!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    Pougnet, je crois!
                    Bloody predictive text! Drives me to drink! (Even though we have a Nissan and I don't combine drinking with driving!)

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      I should give Menuhin's Delius another chance I imagine .
                      Please do, Barbi. I'm listening to it again and, no, it's not flawless but the musicality is pouring out my speakers. In fact, I'm overwhelmed by it! The word 'love' is what I think applies to Menuhin's playing even when it's not always perfect.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Please do, Barbi. I'm listening to it again and, no, it's not flawless but the musicality is pouring out my speakers. In fact, I'm overwhelmed by it! The word 'love' is what I think applies to Menuhin's playing even when it's not always perfect.
                        With these kind of performances, there is no other word to use. Mention Artur Schnabel, for instance. His recitals and recordings are renowned for the flaws but everyone knew that he was a great musician and above all the music that he played at the time, would be flawed but the underlying trend would be the love he had for the music being played.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          With these kind of performances, there is no other word to use. Mention Artur Schnabel, for instance. His recitals and recordings are renowned for the flaws but everyone knew that he was a great musician and above all the music that he played at the time, would be flawed but the underlying trend would be the love he had for the music being played.

Comment

• makropulos
                            • Nov 2010

My problem with YM's Delius is that right from the opening violin phrase, the worst faults of his later playing mar any kind of enjoyment for me - it just seems a bit of a mess - the technical blemishes are just too many and too obtrusive. I say that with regret, and I wish I could sense his love for the music - I've no doubt you're right about that.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                              My problem with YM's Delius is that right from the opening violin phrase, the worst faults of his later playing mar any kind of enjoyment for me - - - the technical blemishes are just too many and too obtrusive.
                              My reaction exactly - with playing of such poor quality, I genuinely do not understand what "musicality" can begin to mean in response to it.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

As a violinist myself I'm usually merciless when it comes to violinistic imperfections. (One of my teachers, who had also studied with Menuhin's teacher, Louis Persinger, told me 'that's a great pair of ears you have! He also once said 'if you're not playing in tune, you're not playing musically).

And yet, I'm swept along by this performance although I've never been deaf to Menuhin's imperfection. A case in point being his Sibelius concerto recording which is pretty gruesome compared to, say, Mullova, Mr. Heifetz or even Menuhin's pupils, Little and Kennedy. I'm going to listen to other Delius Violin concerto performances tomorrow but, as far as tonite is concerned, Yehudi rules!

Comment

Working...
                                X