Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Noble/ Groves, Terfel/ Hickox and Hampson/ Hickox on my shelves, but could have sworn I had a Beecham 78rpm version somewhere (Naxos?)
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      One of my favourite works by Delius - I am looking forward to this too .
      I don't know much Delius at all so I really hope this will shed some light.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Good to hear the under-rated Bo Holten get a mention...

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Bo is best...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            Good to hear the under-rated Bo Holten get a mention...
            A bit more than a mention.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

I'm afraid what that expertly researched and delivered BAL succeeded in telling me was that I never want to own 'Sea Drift'.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                A bit more than a mention.
                I've often though Bo Holten would be a great candidate for COTW. His opera, 'The Arrival of the Royal Physician' is quite outstanding.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  I'm afraid what that expertly researched and delivered BAL succeeded in telling me was that I never want to own 'Sea Drift'.
                  Much as I'm pleased with the result, I'm afraid I can only agree with you. Delius' music has always left me cold. My loss, I know.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I was quite surprised about the result. I never even knew he (Bo Holton) had conducted the work. For me Hickox (born TODAY in 1948) the RPO and John Pearly Shirt is Sea Drift..and the chorus is where it should be...adding colour. Bo Holton brings perhaps too much clarity to the work. Delius is, after all, part cowpat, part Wagner, part French night-life. Maybe a little smudging at the edges is needed? Mind you, I've only heard the bits played today. Must get more on Monday.......

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      I was quite surprised about the result. I never even knew he (Bo Holton) had conducted the work. For me Hickox (born TODAY in 1948) the RPO and John Pearly Shirt is Sea Drift..and the chorus is where it should be...adding colour. Bo Holton brings perhaps too much clarity to the work. Delius is, after all, part cowpat, part Wagner, part French night-life. Maybe a little smudging at the edges is needed? Mind you, I've only heard the bits played today. Must get more on Monday.......
                      But you've missed out the essential Scandanavian aspect of his Music - he spent much time in Norway, and was close friends with Grieg, Munch, and Strindberg: there is as much Expressionism in Sea Drift as Impressionism. (And there's the German aspect, too - Frederick/Fritz Theodor-Albert Delius' Sea Drift was heard three times in Germany before its British premiere, with Whitman's words in Helene-Sophie Emilie Jelka Delius-Rosen's' German translation.)

Mind you, having lived in a Bradford postcode area for twenty years - the weather here doesn't half help you follow Delius' unique handling of Form/Structure! (More Woolmills and trams than Cowpats in this Music!)
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        This one? Bruce Boyce, BBC Chorus, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Sir Thomas Beecham

which I have for some reason! No idea when and where it came from..... it's a bit, well, aged!

and this one which was a charity shop bargain

BBC Music Magazine CD: Thomas Hampson, BBC National Orchestra and Chorus of Wales, The Bach Choir,
                        all under the direction of Richard Hickox. Superb performance and recording.
                        Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        Yes - Hassan / Sea Drift / Arabesk

I can't put my hands on it right now, but I think it is on Sony Classical.

And yes, it is a rather aged recording!
                        Seems like the recording I have is from 1954. Old, but not ancient!

I've had the recording for many years and I really like it (also, Sea Drift is one of the tiny number of Delius works that I like).

It was a most enjoyable programme, as far as I'm concerned, and I feel no need for another recording.

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          I am in total agreement with you DracoM. I am not a huge fan of Deiius but I will pass on Sea Drift.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            But you've missed out the essential Scandanavian aspect of his Music - he spent much time in Norway, and was close friends with Grieg, Munch, and Strindberg: there is as much Expressionism in Sea Drift as Impressionism. (And there's the German aspect, too - Frederick/Fritz Theodor-Albert Delius' Sea Drift was heard three times in Germany before its British premiere, with Whitman's words in Helene-Sophie Emilie Jelka Delius-Rosen's' German translation.)

Mind you, having lived in a Bradford postcode area for twenty years - the weather here doesn't half help you follow Delius' unique handling of Form/Structure! (More Woolmills and trams than Cowpats in this Music!)
                            He was French anyway, or at least as French as a huge chunk of their population is today.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              He was French anyway, or at least as French as a huge chunk of their population is today.
                              - Roussel and Ravel both friends who knew his Music as he was writing it. Until his old age, when they became friends, Delius hated Elgar's Music with a passion that makes MrGG seem quite enthusiastic!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                - Roussel and Ravel both friends who knew his Music as he was writing it. Until his old age, when they became friends, Delius hated Elgar's Music with a passion that makes MrGG seem quite enthusiastic!

Comment

Working...
                                X