BaL 26.10.24 - Schumann: Piano trio 1 (in D minor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

BaL 26.10.24 - Schumann: Piano trio 1 (in D minor)

Building a Library

Schumann's Piano Trio No 1 in D minor with Allyson Devenish

Despite his failure to become a concert pianist, due to injuring his fingers, many of Schumann's very greatest works involve the piano. The brooding, and stormy D minor Piano Trio came from Schumann's ‘time of gloomy moods’. But it contains one of his most heart-rending slow movements. It is the work's centre of gravity, with its aching dissonances and high-arching phrases. It is a quintessentially Romantic chamber piece, and has been recorded by many stellar piano trios.

Presto listing here:

• smittims
    • Aug 2022

I return repeatedly to Cortot,Thibaud and Casals who I think have never been equalled

Comment

• Darloboy
      • Jun 2019

Only covered by BaL once before, in December 2011, when Erica Jeal chose Kogan, Rostropovich, Gilels with the Florestans as a modern recommendation.

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

Good to see the Florestans praised; I think they deserve it: I admire their Brahms.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Darloboy View Post
          Only covered by BaL once before, in December 2011, when Erica Jeal chose Kogan, Rostropovich, Gilels with the Florestans as a modern recommendation.
          We had a thread on that 2011 BaL at the time with not so many contributions. I don't think I heard it. I've just renewed my acquaintance with this work which I have not paid so much attention to over the years - only the 4th movement seemed familiar. I listened to my two CD versions, both well worth going back to: Beaux Arts on Philips Duo (slightly annoyingly split between 2 CDs) and David Oistrakh, Lev Oborin, Sviatoslav Knushevitzky on the Brilliant Classics 10Cd Oistrakh Trio Box, the latter from 1947 but in pretty decent mono sound.

Comment

• Mandryka
            • Feb 2021

Gringlots for me, I think.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Beaux Arts on Philips Duo (slightly annoyingly split between 2 CDs)
              Looks as though the three trios are not far short of 90 mins. There's the bonus of the Op 88 Fantasiestücke on the otherwise short CD2
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• CallMePaul
                • Jan 2014

Why oh why is this reviewer consistently invited to "review" on this programme? Her session on Winterreise last season was probably the worst BAL I have ever heard - had I been looking for a first purchase I don't think it would have helped me one iota and some important recordings - recent as well as historic - did not even get a mention. Although I have had no formal musical training I feel that I could have presented a better comparative review based on my own knowledge of and love of the work!

Returning to the Schumann, I do not have a recording of this piece and would welcome a serious discussion with a more erudite reviewer. I am intersted in period instrument recordings and HIPP-influenced ones, so I am drawn to Faust/Queyras/ Melnikov but am open to other ideas and interpretations. I will not consider any recordings featuring Leonid Kogan. Fine violinist though he was his KGB involvement rules him out of court for mr.

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

Shostakovitch called Kogan the 'communist-violinist'. e.g. 'he played my concerto in a very communist-violinist way'. No-one could take exception to that!

Comment

• Mandryka
                    • Feb 2021

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                    Returning to the Schumann, I do not have a recording of this piece and would welcome a serious discussion with a more erudite reviewer. I am intersted in period instrument recordings and HIPP-influenced ones, so I am drawn to Faust/Queyras/ Melnikov but am open to other ideas and interpretations..
                    I'm very keen on Monica Huggett and Tanya Tomkins and Eric Zivian -- so I think you should try the Benvenue Fortepiano Trio recording before taking the plunge.

The Schumann trios are, IMO, a real summit of the 19th century piano trio literature -- at least as satisfying to me as Dvorak's and Brahms's.
                    Last edited by Mandryka; 12-10-24, 14:26.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

I'm very keen on Monica Huggett and Tanya Tomkins and Eric Zivian -- so I think you should try the Benvenue Fortepiano Trio recording before taking the plunge.

The Schumann trios are, IMO, a real summit of the 19th century piano trio literature -- at least as satisfying to me as Dvorak's and Brahms's.
                      Ditto - I was going to mention this recording but you beat me to it!

Comment

• Mandryka
                        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

Ditto - I was going to mention this recording but you beat me to it!
                        I've been playing it this evening - Tanya Tomkins, the cellist, is really impressive.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                          Why oh why is this reviewer consistently invited to "review" on this programme?
                          Oh I agree. I was quite excited at the choice of work (which I hardly know) until I saw who was doing the review
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

I've been playing it this evening - Tanya Tomkins, the cellist, is really impressive.
                            I see the same forces have also done the Piano Quintet - looks tempting!

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

I see the same forces have also done the Piano Quintet - looks tempting!
                              ... yep - over three CDs they do the three trios and the quartet and the quintet. As so often with chamber music, I find the period approach the most attractive and enlightening : certainly here - these discs a valuable addition to the performances by Faust/Queyras/ Melnikov

(like others here I find the reviewer chosen for this unlistenable-to... )

Comment

Working...
                              X