• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

BaL 19.10.24 - Schubert: Octet

Building a Library

Tasmin Little selects her favourite version of Franz Schubert's Octet in F major (D. 803)

Presto listing here:

The BBC MM release (November 1999: Volume 8, Number 2) is listed as 'Michael Collins and friends':

From this subset of Award winners

it would appear that in June 2002 the First choice was the Vienna Octet, with the Budapest Schubert Ensemble and the Academy of St Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble versions also being recommended.
    Last edited by Pulcinella; Yesterday, 07:48.
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

My personal favourites are the AAM Chamber Ensemble and Hausmusik.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

Once again, this is a work that has attracted the finest musicians over many years. And it's not difficult to record, so older recordings lose less in comparison with new ones. Many will find the versions (four, I think) by the Vienna Octet to be the most idiomatic. I especially like the 1958 recording made by John Culshaw in the Sofeinsaal, one of the early Decca Stereo LPs with a lovely cover photo of the Schubert statue in sunlit snow. The Vienna Octet's CD remake took advantage of the extra available length to open up all the repeats, a sublime experience when one is in the mood to hear it all.

Comment

• Darloboy
        • Jun 2019

Apologies all, I haven't been posting the previous winners for some time. Tbh, I've become a bit bored with BaL since it moved to the afternoon time slot.

The Octet used to be featured on BaL regularly (1958, 1966, 1970, 1975, 1982) but this is the first time it's been covered for nearly quarter of a century. Previous winners that I'm aware of:

David Murray (Jan 1990): Gaudier Ensemble
        Richard Wigmore (June 02): Vienna Octet + Also recommended: Schubert Ensemble, Budapest and ASMF Chamber Ensemble

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Darloboy View Post
          Apologies all, I haven't been posting the previous winners for some time. Tbh, I've become a bit bored with BaL since it moved to the afternoon time slot.

The Octet used to be featured on BaL regularly (1958, 1966, 1970, 1975, 1982) but this is the first time it's been covered for nearly quarter of a century. Previous winners that I'm aware of:

David Murray (Jan 1990): Gaudier Ensemble
          Richard Wigmore (June 02): Vienna Octet + Also recommended: Schubert Ensemble, Budapest and ASMF Chamber Ensemble

You're not alone, though I'm not sure bored is quite the word for me: indifferent?
          I'd intended to listen today (Bach English Suites) and totally forgot.

Comment

Working...
          X