Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

BaL 12.10.24 - Beethoven: Symphony 4

No details given yet for this week.

Edited 30 September 2024.

The work is Beethoven Symphony 4.
    I'll update with details of the reviewer when they appear.

Here's the link to the Presto listing: nearly 500!!

For Alison's peace of mind, there HAS been a BBC MM release:

Volume 12, Number 9, BBC Philharmonic, Gianandrea Noseda.
    Recorded in Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester, on 21 May 2003.

Last edited by Pulcinella; Today, 11:53. Reason: Chosen work added following email received from R3.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

News just in:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! It seems that something has slipped through the net so I will make sure it’s sorted as soon as possible.
    The Building a Library work for Saturday 12th is Beethoven’s Symphony no.4!

Kind regards,

Sarah

Production Co-ordinator
    BBC Radio 3

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

My favourite Beethoven 4, for many years now, has been Karajan's 1962 recording on DG.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• silvestrione
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        My favourite Beethoven 4, for many years now, has been Karajan's 1962 recording on DG.
        Yes, an absolute classic IMHO. The touch is just right all through, the orchestral sound seems ideal, and no-one, but no-one, equals it in the middle two movements in particular (oh that rolling rhythmn in the slow movement, and the clarinet!). Perfect balance of the Apollonian and the Dionysian, as i think Richard Osborne might have said on my original LP sleeve.
        Perhaps a touch more audibility in the bassoon here and there, and the splendid first movement introduction may have more mystery in it in the Jochum version.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

Herbert's earlier version with the Philharmonia was very fine too, especially the second movement. Another interesting recording was a mid-1970s Philips LP by Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-fields, reminding us that Beethoven wrote it for a small orchestra.

Historically, I came to know the symphony from Toscanini's 78s with the BBC Symphony Orchestra. Sir Thomas Beecham recorded it in1945 with the LPO, one of his least well-known recordings. And Wilhelm Furtwangler recorded it twice for HMV with the Vienna Philharmonic, the second being a favourite of mine.

Comment

• CallMePaul
            • Jan 2014

I have 2 versions, both in complete sets: Norrington/ London Classical Players (EMI, presumably now Warner) and Mackerras/ Scottish Chamber Orchestra (the live Edinburgh Festival recordings on Hyperion). I enjoy this stmphony and wish it were programmed more frequently.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

The Beethoven 4 was in the first classical concert I ever attended: Rudolf Kempe and the RPO in 1972. In the 52 years since then, I've heard it just once more in concert: Claudio Abbado and the VPO at a 1984 Prom.

Why does this Symphony suffer neglect relative to the other eight?
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• mikealdren
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Interesting, that was my first recording on record in about 1970, I liked it then and must give it another spin.

It was also my 'O' level set work a bit before that so I'll certainly be listening.

Comment

Working...
                X