Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

This is very tough because there are so many I like for different reasons. Among others:
    Klemperer (EMI)
    Boult (EMI)
    Kempe/Berlin PO (EMI, now Testament)
    Jochum/Berlin (DG, mono)
    Furtwängler live (EMI), Walter (VPO and NYPO – HMV and Sony)
    Chailly (Leipzig – Decca)
    Mackerras (Telarc)
    Wand (RCA)

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Another classic is the Karajan BPO at the RFH - that coda !

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Listening to that DG 1952 BPO Furtwangler - I think Ivan Hewett had a point !

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

I haven't checked the previous thread, but I don't think there's been mention yet in this one of the (thorny?) issue of the first movement exposition repeat.

Any thoughts, or observances of which recordings have it or not?

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            I haven't checked the previous thread, but I don't think there's been mention yet in this one of the (thorny?) issue of the first movement exposition repeat.

Was Boult the first conductor to include the first movement repeat in his recording? The conductors of the old school (Karajan, Bohm, Furtwangler, Klemperer etc) never did and in all honesty I don't think it gains much by being repeated.

There's a rather good Brahms 1 in the recently issued Josef Krips box (vol 2) on Decca Eloquence set down with the Vienna Philharmonic in October 1956 in stereo.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oliver sudden
              • Feb 2024

I’m always disappointed if it’s not there. It always feels too soon to start the development and you always lose an important link to the transition from the recap into the coda (as in the 3rd although it’s even more of a loss there).

It’s interesting that the book on the Meiningen Brahms performance practice just says ‘die Wiederholung bleibt weg’. I can’t make myself agree. Although I must admit I don’t see any reason to try particularly hard.

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

I regret I have not made a study of who plays the first movement repeat. My bugbear is the third movement repeat, in the trio (bar 108 or 8 before E in the Breitkopf score). The only conductor I know who omits it is Stokowski and he omitted it in all the performances I've heard him conduct. It's a pity as I love that little 'German Band' bar. It reminds me of a lovely exchange in 'Song Of Summer' :

Delius: Ah, Scarborough! Tell me , do they still have that German band in the pier?

Fenby: Er, no, not since the war.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

My view on exposition repeats is that they are largely unnecessary (and Brahms himself effectively said the same). The musical “argument” in sonata form movements is largely one of key changes. In the the exposition, there is a musical transition from the home (tonic) key to a related key for the second subject, in preparation for the development, which utilises many keys. But once the new key has been established, it makes little musical sense to return to the beginning and plough through it all again.

In concerto sonata form, this anomaly is neatly dealt with. The second subject in the orchestra exposition usually remains firmly in the tonic key, so that the modulating exposition only occurs when the soloist enters.

On another subject - if you like HIPP, then JEG is the one to go for, as he uses natural horns. Norrington et al don’t.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

I don't miss an exposition repeat in romantic music (was Rachmaninov's Third of 1936 the last example?) where the tonality moves on more , but in the classical era, especially Haydn and Mozart, I think it's important. Mozart in particular made extensive use of an AAB device: say it, repeat it, say something new. He does this even in short phrases.

It's significant, I think,that it was Beethoven who started the move away from repeating the exposition, in his later music, where the exposition already starts to elaborate the thematic material. So, no, I don't find it esential in Brahms, though there are some wonderful 'first time ' bars, as in the first movement of the second symphony. .

Comment

• silvestrione
                      • Jan 2011

‘die Wiederholung bleibt weg'
                      I'm afraid I know hardly any German?

Comment

• oliver sudden
                        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                        ‘die Wiederholung bleibt weg'
                        I'm afraid I know hardly any German?
                        Literally ‘the repetition stays away’

Comment

• oliver sudden
                          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

On another subject - if you like HIPP, then JEG is the one to go for, as he uses natural horns. Norrington et al don’t.
                          I think it’s a bit more nuanced than that and JEG’s principal horn does too…

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

For edge of seat excitement nobody can quite match Klaus Tennstedt LPO live 1992. It’s probably OTT, excessively heavy and tumultuous but I love it.

For what it’s worth, I haven’ t been able to warm to the soulless COE/Nezet-Seguin at all. I could imagine JLW raving over it.

And don’t write off Andrew Manze ?

Comment

Working...
                            X