Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

My own 'favourites' would be Furtwangler and Toscanini, but I think a BaL choice should be a modern recording: Abbado, perhaps , or Karajan's last one.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

I had wi Fi issues and was only able to hear the first movement of the YNS recording. The introduction was pretty zippy but then it seemed to settle down

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        My own 'favourites' would be Furtwangler and Toscanini, but I think a BaL choice should be a modern recording: Abbado, perhaps , or Karajan's last one.
        What’s modern ? Stereo ? Or in future will all 20th century recordings be ruled out ?

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

I am sure McGregor described something from the 1960s as “historic “ recently .

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

Well, by 'modern' I meant digital, I suppose, something recorded within the lifetimes of most peeple looking for one good recording. I'm a lifelong devotee of old recordings but as time goes by I find younger listeners have difficulties with the performing style, not to mention the sound . A regular poster on the old BBC board told me he could not listen even to mono. I was aghast, thinking of all the fine performances he was denying himself.

I felt my age when I found the Rubinstein/ BBC/ Colin Davis Brahms first concerto issued on a 'BBC Legends' CD. I heard that performance live! (November 1968) but it was already 'historic' in 2006.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

It doesn’t seem five minutes since this was last on BaL, with Furtwängler being the recommended version.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                I bet that version carries quite a punch

This symphony featured on Record Review as recently as April 30th 2018.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Yes I mentioned this up thread and reopened the 2018 thread . Little doubt that it is because Ivan Hewett ( not heard on BAL for while) made the cardinal error of choosing an old recording . McGregor sounded appalled at the time.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    Yes I mentioned this up thread and reopened the 2018 thread . Little doubt that it is because Ivan Hewett ( not heard on BAL for while) made the cardinal error of choosing an old recording . McGregor sounded appalled at the time.
                    Richard Osborne did something similar when he chose the 1951 live Mitropoulos recording of Schoenberg's Pelleas und Melisande as his recommendation. He would no doubt have been safely expected to choose Karajan and even I raised an eyebrow when he didn't.

I don't think that he ever did BaL again after that.
                    Last edited by Petrushka; 15-09-24, 18:33.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Lordgeous
                      • Dec 2012

On my shelves I have 2 by Guilini, plus Chailly and Kertesz but my favourite is still the Cantelli with the Philharmonia at their glowing best. Maybe old school I know but first loves, and all that! I guess it will never figure in any survey, only recorded in mono alas. I exchanged opinions with Hurwitz on his site. He knew the recording but I can't recall his view, if any.

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

The Cantelli was a classic in its day, as was its rival, Concertgebouw/Eduard van Beinum on Decca.

Comment

• Mario
                          • Aug 2020

I don’t know if it has been mentioned already (apologies if it has), but I’ve always thought that the Boult readings with the LPO & LSO & Janet Baker were superb, his finale of Brahms 1 particularly showing us what ff timpani really should sound like. Sorry, can’t remember what label my records were on.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Richard Osborne did something similar when he chose the 1951 live Mitropoulos recording of Schoenberg's Pelleas und Melisande as his recommendation. He would no doubt have been safely expected to choose Karajan and even I raised an eyebrow when he didn't.

I don't think that he ever did BaL again after that.
                            I think he did - several years after he stopped being one of the three presenters - he did Sibelius 3 ( which was a bit of a surprise ) and Bruckner 8 . He certainly, however, has never done a twofer.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mario View Post
                              I don’t know if it has been mentioned already (apologies if it has), but I’ve always thought that the Boult readings with the LPO & LSO & Janet Baker were superb, his finale of Brahms 1 particularly showing us what ff timpani really should sound like. Sorry, can’t remember what label my records were on.
                              HMV Mario . Splendid recordings . His Brahms 1 and 3 live on ICA Classics were very special too.

Comment

• Mario
                                • Aug 2020

That’s the one Barbie, thanks.

On a separate issue, I don’t have many recordings by Sir John (not by design I assure you), but I think I’m beginning to understand his genius.

His Mahler 5 which I have is wonderful, but his Sibelius 2 with the Boston S O live (which I discovered on You Tube by accident) is shattering, as is L Bernstein (sadly no longer on You Tube).

I now find Berglund rather timid, although in Kullervo, he lets his timpanist free.

Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                                X