• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Oops!

Mind you, Glenn was quite the actor too, I suspect.
    ... and perhaps actor Glen could tickle the ivories a little.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Somewhat to my surprise I’m liking the Angela Hewitt A minor Prelude English Suite most of all the excerpts played so far . The first that avoids the sewing machine effect - lovely ebb and flow to the playing.

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
        Somewhat to my surprise I’m liking the Angela Hewitt A minor Prelude English Suite most of all the excerpts played so far . The first that avoids the sewing machine effect - lovely ebb and flow to the playing.
        There's a recording by Hewitt which has a good English Suite 6 - the first recording she ever made I think, this

Comment

• Darloboy
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          Can we expect a second programme with harpsichord versions? I bet we can't. Anyone else up for contributing to such a thread?
          At one time BaL would have been much more likely to focus on harpsichord rather than piano versions...

Comment

• Darloboy
            • Jun 2019

These suites have only been covered by BaL once before, in Jan 04, when Simon Heighes chose Angela Hewitt (2002-3) and Leonhardt (1973) as his piano and harpsichord first choices respectively. Levin was mid-price choice on piano.

Comment

• Retune
              • Feb 2022

Schiff finishes just ahead in a tight race with Perahia.

Not entirely coincidentally, a copy of the Schiff turned up in my letter box this morning. I like his Bach and was prompted to check out this recording by the upcoming BaL (I already had Perahia in a megabox).

Comment

• silvestrione
                • Jan 2011

Was Lucy Parham just slightly bland? I felt A McG trying to push her to be more incisive and insightful at times, e.g. the characterisation of Gould's playing was vague, more about his singing along than his eschewal of legato or clarity of counterpoint or absence of pedal.

The long view, the balancing of character and tempi across a suite, didn't come up.

I don't think I'd want a piano recording of these pieces, but of the final two I thought Perahia won hands down (literally!), with a much more characterful touch and colour.

Comment

• Retune
                  • Feb 2022

I look forward to comparing Schiff and Perahia properly. Schiff was great in that last Gigue from #6 though, which sounded strikingly 'modern'. He might almost have been playing something like Ligeti's Devil's Staircase étude.

Comment

• Mandryka
                    • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Retune View Post
                    I look forward to comparing Schiff and Perahia properly. Schiff was great in that last Gigue from #6 though, which sounded strikingly 'modern'. He might almost have been playing something like Ligeti's Devil's Staircase étude.
                    I think I'd take Perahia over Schiff in that gigue - in truth, I don't feel as though you can do justice to the music on a piano really - if you have time try my favourite, Marie Nishyama.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

From the updated website (also added to original post):

Lucy's choice:
                      András Schiff (piano)
                      Decca 4216402

Comment

Working...
                      X