Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvestrione
    • Jan 2011

We may have got a bit distracted here. For what it's worth, I didn't react at all to the Quick Soat, and it annoys me mightily when Byron's poem is not pronounced Don Juan, i.e., anglicised.

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, for the excellent chosen extracts, and the way they were introduced, and the very welcome tactful Sarah Walker. I admire Andrew McG, except in his attempts to join in BALs! The last three did not to me seem superior to the Kempe or Szell, but that's neither here nor there.

Which Karajan was it? I liked that (well, I liked them all).

Comment

• oliver sudden
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

In the libretto I have (ENO Opera Guide 8), the Marschallin's lines are:
      Gewiss! O sicherlich dem Vetter seine Kinder, die werden keine Don Quixotten [sein]!
      The 'translation' (or rather the English version, by Alfred Kalisch; I've no idea if it's what ENO use, but I'd imagine so) makes no reference:
      Of course. I'm sure no child of yours would ever find it hard to endure such consolation.
      ‘Quichotten’ in the score, at least in whatever edition Dover appropriated

Comment

• Wolfram
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
        We may have got a bit distracted here. For what it's worth, I didn't react at all to the Quick Soat, and it annoys me mightily when Byron's poem is not pronounced Don Juan, i.e., anglicised.

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme, for the excellent chosen extracts, and the way they were introduced, and the very welcome tactful Sarah Walker. I admire Andrew McG, except in his attempts to join in BALs! The last three did not to me seem superior to the Kempe or Szell, but that's neither here nor there.

Which Karajan was it? I liked that (well, I liked them all).
        It was the recording with Fournier.

Comment

• Retune
          • Feb 2022

Makropulos and Hugo Shirley's enthusiasm for Zinman led me to his 7 CD set on Sony, 'David Zinman conducts Strauss' (aka 'Richard Strauss: Orchestral Works' in its previous Arte Nova release), currently £15.96 on Amazon (much less than the £38.99 they charge for the downloads alone, though they throw in 'AutoRip' downloads with the CDs). Don Quixote, however you choose to pronounce it, is included. This must be one of the bigger bargains in Strauss recordings at the moment.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Retune View Post
            Makropulos and Hugo Shirley's enthusiasm for Zinman led me to his 7 CD set on Sony, 'David Zinman conducts Strauss' (aka 'Richard Strauss: Orchestral Works' in its previous Arte Nova release), currently £15.96 on Amazon (much less than the £38.99 they charge for the downloads alone ... Don Quixote, however you choose to pronounce it, is included. This must be one of the bigger bargains in Strauss recordings at the moment.
            ... tempting, tempting - very very tempting!

Comment

• RobP
              • Dec 2020

Excellent choice, but Tortelier's first version with Kempe and BPO is just as good, indeed his playing is even more eloquent than Janigro.

Always amusing to hear a BBC presenter sounding perplexed that a reviewer would select a performance with 65 year old sound. You do wonder if they actually listen to the sound or make some ill-formed assumptions.

Comment

Working...
              X