X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oliver sudden
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    Karajan /Fournier is wonderful, (and what a marvellous sleeve illustration!) and also Fournier/Krauss, an old Decca LP produced in Vienna by Victor Olof.
    Big fan of the Krauss DQ and indeed of his Heldenleben.

The DQ holds a very special place in my listening history. Like I suppose most people my age I didn’t listen to LPs for a good many years in the period when CD was pretty much the only game in town. One day I was visiting a friend I hadn’t seen in a while and he happened to have a very fine turntable setup. He put on this very record and I sat dumbfounded. Such a clear audio picture in front of me, I could almost see exactly where every instrument was coming from. An immediacy I’d never had from a CD.

And it was quite some years before the penny dropped that that was and is a mono recording.
    Last edited by oliver sudden; 14-09-24, 18:34. Reason: removed redundant word…

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

All those Clemens Krauss Strauss recordings were classics and well-received at the time, culminating in Salome,the first complete recording of a Strauss opera. They were all recorded in the Musikvereinssaal by Victor Olof who was a Krauss fan, and who, like Walter Legge, had learnt how to make a mono recording suggesting space and depth.

Krauss' death was a major factor in Olof's move to EMI, where, when he could,he took them to Vienna ro record.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Bumping, in readiness for today's instalment.

PS: 'Winner' added also to original post.

Recommended version:

Recommended version
        Chicago Symphony Orchestra
        Antonio Janigro (cello)
        Milton Preves (viola)
        Fritz Reiner (conductor)
        RCA Living Stereo 09026 68170-2
        Last edited by Pulcinella; Today, 18:05.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I listened to the broadcast today, as I struggled to get through the York bypass (A64). I nearly choked every time I heard the words “Don Quick Soat”.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I listened to the broadcast today, as I struggled to get through the York bypass (A64). I nearly choked every time I heard the words “Don Quick Soat”.
            Surely not from our esteemed makropulos?

Comment

• Retune
              • Feb 2022

Also in the final selection, Previn/VPO and Zinman/Tonhalle. Zinman was the top choice in Hugo Shirley's survey in Gramophone a couple of years ago, with Reiner as his classic choice.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                I have to confess to being fairly unbothered by this… if I understand right the Spanish pronunciation of the x has changed since Cervantes’ time anyway, so I am personally quite happy Anglicising it.

Comment

Working...
                X