X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oliver sudden
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    Karajan /Fournier is wonderful, (and what a marvellous sleeve illustration!) and also Fournier/Krauss, an old Decca LP produced in Vienna by Victor Olof.
    Big fan of the Krauss DQ and indeed of his Heldenleben.

The DQ holds a very special place in my listening history. Like I suppose most people my age I didn’t listen to LPs for a good many years in the period when CD was pretty much the only game in town. One day I was visiting a friend I hadn’t seen in a while and he happened to have a very fine turntable setup. He put on this very record and I sat dumbfounded. Such a clear audio picture in front of me, I could almost see exactly where every instrument was coming from. An immediacy I’d never had from a CD.

And it was quite some years before the penny dropped that that was and is a mono recording.
    Last edited by oliver sudden; 14-09-24, 18:34. Reason: removed redundant word…

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

All those Clemens Krauss Strauss recordings were classics and well-received at the time, culminating in Salome,the first complete recording of a Strauss opera. They were all recorded in the Musikvereinssaal by Victor Olof who was a Krauss fan, and who, like Walter Legge, had learnt how to make a mono recording suggesting space and depth.

Krauss' death was a major factor in Olof's move to EMI, where, when he could,he took them to Vienna ro record.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Bumping, in readiness for today's instalment.

PS: 'Winner' added also to original post.

Recommended version:

Recommended version
        Chicago Symphony Orchestra
        Antonio Janigro (cello)
        Milton Preves (viola)
        Fritz Reiner (conductor)
        RCA Living Stereo 09026 68170-2
        Last edited by Pulcinella; Today, 18:05.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I listened to the broadcast today, as I struggled to get through the York bypass (A64). I nearly choked every time I heard the words “Don Quick Soat”.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I listened to the broadcast today, as I struggled to get through the York bypass (A64). I nearly choked every time I heard the words “Don Quick Soat”.
            Surely not from our esteemed makropulos?

Comment

• Retune
              • Feb 2022

Also in the final selection, Previn/VPO and Zinman/Tonhalle. Zinman was the top choice in Hugo Shirley's survey in Gramophone a couple of years ago, with Reiner as his classic choice.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                • Feb 2024

I have to confess to being fairly unbothered by this… if I understand right the Spanish pronunciation of the x has changed since Cervantes’ time anyway, so I am personally quite happy Anglicising it.

Comment

• makropulos
                  • Nov 2010

I really didn't mean to cause you pain! QUIXOTE was a consensual editorial decision by the producer, presenter and me. The often-used KIHOTI is neither fish now fowl – it's not that close to the original Spanish (which is more like Kee-HO-té (the O short as in hot, but the syllable that's emphasised). More to the point, Strauss would have called it something like KVIXOT and we weren't going down that route. So we decided on a fully anglicised version. I hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive!

Comment

• makropulos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

I have to confess to being fairly unbothered by this… if I understand right the Spanish pronunciation of the x has changed since Cervantes’ time anyway, so I am personally quite happy Anglicising it.
                    Thanks – that was very much our thinking – see my reply to Eine Alpensinfonie.

Comment

Working...
                    X