• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
    Caliban, I was confused too. The answer has to be Westminster Cathedral (the only boys & men choir in Simon H's shortlist); a quick bit of googling shows that 'the Drome' seems to be WC's nickname amongst the in crowd. No doubt one of them will be along soon to provide exegesis...
    thanks.

How very... esoteric
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Depends who you talk to: up to the 1960's, the inside of the triple domes of the cathedral were un-mosaiced, and it is said that the inside looked from beneath like a cycling velodrome.

Irreverent similarities drawn between the famous Pigalle nightspot and the great entrance arch of West Cath? Name coined by a significant group of lay clerks in the late 60's for now obscure reasons? Whatever, it is almost universally known in London pro singing circles as 'the Drome'.

Take your pick. Sure there are any number of other hypotheses.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

No doubt one of them will be along soon to provide exegesis...
        Sorry...took the last one yesterday....up all night.....

Comment

• Resurrection Man

An old thread but prompted to post following last Saturday's CD review. Andrew McGregor introduced the Requiem with the words that 'the music sent shivers down his spine'. Now for me, brought up on a diet of Mahler and Wagner, polyphony doesn't sit easily in my musical canon but Andrew's words made me prick my ears up and I am so so glad that I did. I bought the Tenebrae and just listened to it. Not only did it send shivers down my spine but brought tears to this old duffer's eyes.

So to Andrew McGregor, my profound thanks

Here's to CD Review...an oasis amongst the dross of Breakfast and Essential Classics.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
            An old thread but prompted to post following last Saturday's CD review. Andrew McGregor introduced the Requiem with the words that 'the music sent shivers down his spine'. Now for me, brought up on a diet of Mahler and Wagner, polyphony doesn't sit easily in my musical canon but Andrew's words made me prick my ears up and I am so so glad that I did. I bought the Tenebrae and just listened to it. Not only did it send shivers down my spine but brought tears to this old duffer's eyes.

So to Andrew McGregor, my profound thanks

Here's to CD Review...an oasis amongst the dross of Breakfast and Essential Classics.
            Agree with all the above

I heard a bit of, and acquired, that CD shortly after it was released last year and it was an instant favourite.

Absolute
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Just taken delivery of the Tenebrae Victoria / de Lobo CD.
              VERY fine indeed.

And I have most of the named others too! I started with St J/GG, and for years thought it unsurpassable. Of its type, it is. Including the rumble of Cambridge traffic, and those sepulchral basses, and plangent trebles.
              BUT
              if you are prepared for a women-led choir in the repertoire, then for me Tenebrae are about as good as it gets and much, much more. And the altos - a male/female blend - are fabulous.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Luis de Victoria Simon Heighes rounds up some of the available recordings of this Spanish master of the Golden Age in his 400th anniversary year.

As this is not a comparison of a particular work, there can be no meaningful list of available recordings. However this link may be helpful.
                In Victoria's sacred music it just has to be Westminster Cathedral Choir directed by either James O'Donnell; David Hill or Martin Baker on Hyperion.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Endorsed.
                  Boys have a very particular chest register Victoria exploits, especially if you have a number of boy altos as there are in some of the Drome's recordings.

Comment

• PJPJ
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                    This thread inspires me to dig out my old Argo LP of the Tenebrae Responses made by George Malcolm with the Westminster Cathedral choir. Immensely exciting, with amazing 'noises off'

Doesn't seem to be currently available though there are Marketplace copies at elevated prices on Amazon.
                    That recording is No. 1 Victoria for me.

closely followed by the same work under David Hill.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                      • Dec 2012

[QUOTE=LeMartinPecheur;52047]This thread inspires me to dig out my old Argo LP of the Tenebrae Responses made by George Malcolm with the Westminster Cathedral choir. Immensely exciting, with amazing 'noises off'

In those days I believe the Cathedral authorities weren't very sympathetic to the choir performing outside of Cathedral services and refused to close the building to the public during the recording! The classic Britten Missa Brevis was also recorded during a service there. Regretful that at the choir's prime more wasn't recorded for posterity.

Hope its OK to say here that I'm currently preparing a website in tribute to that wonderful musician George Malcolm. Any memories, anecdotes, contributions of any kind would be gratefully welcomed. Please PM me. Thankyou.

Holding page is at http://www.georgemalcolm.co.uk

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I have that boxed set of recordings performed by The Sixteen/Harry Christophers. Also i have The Westminster Cathedral Choir as well. In some ways I do not kinow if one or other is the better
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lordgeous
                          • Dec 2012

[QUOTE=Lordgeous;235756]
                          Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          This thread inspires me to dig out my old Argo LP of the Tenebrae Responses made by George Malcolm with the Westminster Cathedral choir. Immensely exciting, with amazing 'noises off'

In those days I believe the Cathedral authorities weren't very sympathetic to the choir performing outside of Cathedral services and refused to close the building to the public during the recording! The classic Britten Missa Brevis was also recorded during a service there. Regretful that at the choir's prime more wasn't recorded for posterity.

Hope its OK to say here that I'm currently preparing a website in tribute to that wonderful musician George Malcolm. Any memories, anecdotes, contributions of any kind would be gratefully welcomed. Please PM me. Thankyou.

Holding page is at http://www.georgemalcolm.co.uk
                          Hope its OK to bump my older post up a bit as I've now made some progress with the George Malcolm website? Not finished but well on the way!

george malcolm,harpsichord,conductor,pianist,composer,choirmaster

Comment

Working...
                          X