X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

A deafening silence

Is the noticeable lack of activity on here at the moment due to the fact that many members are on their summer holidays or is it the new afternoon slot that has brought about the situation? I'd be intrigued to know what others think.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    Is the noticeable lack of activity on here at the moment due to the fact that many members are on their summer holidays or is it the new afternoon slot that has brought about the situation? I'd be intrigued to know what others think.
    There didn't seem much interest in Summer BaLs, Micky, especially with the Indispensable Recordings to discuss each week; and of course there are are now individual Proms to discuss, which draw more attention than most regular evening concert offerings (perhaps excluding Friday night....).

But I think there is indeed less general interest in BaL, probably because of the new time slot, but compounded by the twofer format and the short (not previously announced) shortlists.
    I think the reviewer can make a vast difference too: I look forward, as I'm sure we all do, to whatever Nigel/makropulos is preparing for Autumn.

That said, I haven't forgotten some good suggestions we've had, and if things fall into a lull later on may well launch something as a Summer BaL or a Recordings in Discussion thread.
    Of course, anyone else is welcome to launch such threads too: please try to be consistent in title/heading style if you do, though.

Comment

• hmvman
      • Mar 2007

Since the change to the pm slot I don't listen to RR/BaL live as much. With Proms to catch up on I've not been listening to RR on Sounds much either. Will do once the Proms season finishes.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

There didn't seem much interest in Summer BaLs, Micky, especially with the Indispensable Recordings to discuss each week; and of course there are are now individual Proms to discuss, which draw more attention than most regular evening concert offerings (perhaps excluding Friday night....).

But I think there is indeed less general interest in BaL, probably because of the new time slot, but compounded by the twofer format and the short (not previously announced) shortlists.
        I think the reviewer can make a vast difference too: I look forward, as I'm sure we all do, to whatever Nigel/makropulos is preparing for Autumn.

That said, I haven't forgotten some good suggestions we've had, and if things fall into a lull later on may well launch something as a Summer BaL or a Recordings in Discussion thread.
        Of course, anyone else is welcome to launch such threads too: please try to be consistent in title/heading style if you do, though.
        It's quicker and easier to go to Sounds at a time of one's own choosing and join Record Review some 15 to 20 minutes before the end.

Comment

• Maclintick
          • Jan 2012

For Mrs M & yours truly, our diminishing interest in BAL is due a combination of:
          (a) The new slot. To a far greater extent than TV, on-demand, streaming etc, radio listening habits are ingrained over many years, and controllers muck about with timeslots at their peril...
          (b) Recent repertoire considered e.g. Korngold VC & Shostakovich 5 haven't compelled us to "listen-in", as the outmoded Reithian jargon has it...
          (c) During the Euros, Wimbl'd'n & Olympics we've been glued to our screens, so that Proms & BAL on catch-up have been relegated to a large extent..

Widening the focus to include The Proms, the increased and increasing emphasis on non-classical concerts has diminished our enthusiasm for the whole enterprise. We'll probably venture to the RAH towards the end of the season, if we can face the asphyxiating odour of popcorn filling the entry foyers...
          Last edited by Maclintick; 06-08-24, 15:39. Reason: Poor speling

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Placement by R3 so-called 'management' [huh!]

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
              Widening the focus to include The Proms, the increased and increasing emphasis on non-classical concerts has diminished our enthusiasm for the whole enterprise.
              That caught my attention as it's just what I've felt about R3. As more and more of it just doesn't 'seem like R3' any more, I've lost interest in listening altogether. What's left is seldom enough of a draw to entice me back to regular listening. Just about to settle in for the evening to listen to JL Bella, string quartets. Moyzes Quartet.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                That caught my attention as it's just what I've felt about R3. As more and more of it just doesn't 'seem like R3' any more, I've lost interest in listening altogether. What's left is seldom enough of a draw to entice me back to regular listening. Just about to settle in for the evening to listen to JL Bella, string quartets. Moyzes Quartet.

No Record Review Extra to look forward to.
                No Lunchtime Concert to look forward to.
                Proms - not much that's excited me.
                Not much in the morning, not much in the afternoon, not much in the evening.
                Mercifully, TTN is still there.

As GKC said "The gallows in my garden, people say / Is new and neat and adequately tall; / ... / I think I will not hang myself to-day."

Thanks French Frank for the JL Bella string quartets hint, listening to E minor on NML (courtesy of our Library) and enjoying it. New to me.

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks for the interesting contributions; many of you sound as dejected as myself!

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Thanks for the interesting contributions; many of you sound as dejected as myself!
                    I would say that I'm resigned rather than dejected, and fortunately there are now countless alternatives to 'linear radio'..

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I would say that I'm resigned rather than dejected, and fortunately there are now countless alternatives to 'linear radio'..
                      That goes for me too…

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Master Jacques
                        • Feb 2012

Yes. For me the middle-class, middle-brow laziness of this polite, new Radio 2-and-a-half, which thinks that playlisting gobbets of Korngold and promoting pop proms feeds our spirits, and which views any demanding repertoire (new or old) as if it were a bad smell in the room, is the most deeply depressing symptom of a crumbling BBC.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Resign-ed and deject-ed - has a certain Handelian quality​

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

So much negativity. I'm not dejected. So much more classical music readily available than years ago and with vastly improved technical possibilities. I've just downloaded and am greatly enjoying sadly deceased Benjamin Luxon in Warlock songs. I am looking forward to lots more rewarding listening and many new discoveries before the reaper calls me.

I don't listen to the bits of Radio 3 which do not appeal to me, but that has always been the case. R3 has only ever been part of my listening. It is still the main source for live concerts, esp song and chamber recitals, interviews with performers - In Tune. CotW. Insomniac night listening.

I probably now listen to R3 more than ever. I missed five years of it while living in Germany after graduating and when I was working full time (also evenings, being a teacher with endless marking and preparation). Also, children took up much time. Now a free man!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              So much negativity. I'm not dejected. So much more classical music readily available than years ago and with vastly improved technical possibilities. I've just downloaded and am greatly enjoying sadly deceased Benjamin Luxon in Warlock songs. I am looking forward to lots more rewarding listening and many new discoveries before the reaper calls me.

I don't listen to the bits of Radio 3 which do not appeal to me, but that has always been the case. R3 has only ever been part of my listening. It is still the main source for live concerts, esp song and chamber recitals, interviews with performers - In Tune. CotW. Insomniac night listening.

I probably now listen to R3 more than ever. I missed five years of it while living in Germany after graduating and when I was working full time (also evenings, being a teacher with endless marking and preparation). Also, children took up much time. Now a free man!
                              Me too. What nevertheless does deject me is realising the extent to which decimating of the music's presentation by changes presumably designed to popularise, but which (as we have seen) merely serve to shrink Radio 3's serious listenership, actually discourage anyone searching for anything deeper in the music for which Radio 3 once acted as one trusted parent and guide.

Comment

Working...
                              X