X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ucanseetheend
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Although it won’t appeal to every one I have to say that Clive Myrie’s Music Matters interview with war photographer Paul Conroy was one of the best bits of interview radio I’ve heard in a long time. Some hair raising stories from a very brave and intelligent man . Not everything the new controller has done is a disaster.
    Agreed it was excellent. But not exactly a" Classical music " programme
    "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• oliver sudden
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Retune View Post
      the Kondrashin had an extra level of excitement and I was fine with the sound quality.
      The sound of the Kondrashin cycle on CD was pretty ropey in the Chant du Monde days. I think it was back in the noughts that a new remastering using the original tapes came out, from the Korean label Aulos. No comparison as far as sound quality goes. I don’t actually know whether the subsequent Melodiya reissue is the same remastering, or if it’s different how it compares.

As far as I’m concerned it’s unassailable as a single-conductor cycle.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post

Agreed it was excellent. But not exactly a" Classical music " programme
        This seems to confirm my suspicion that programmes of classical music are steadily being replaced by programmes about classical music or programmes which include, but are not predominantly comprised of, classical music.
        Last edited by LMcD; 14-07-24, 12:46.

Comment

• Retune
          • Feb 2022

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
          The sound of the Kondrashin cycle on CD was pretty ropey in the Chant du Monde days. I think it was back in the noughts that a new remastering using the original tapes came out, from the Korean label Aulos. No comparison as far as sound quality goes. I don’t actually know whether the subsequent Melodiya reissue is the same remastering, or if it’s different how it compares.

As far as I’m concerned it’s unassailable as a single-conductor cycle.
          Looking at the images on Discogs, the Aulos has a DSD label on the box but there are no pictures of the contents, while the latest Melodiya mentions the names of remastering engineers with Russian names on most of the disc sleeves, so this may or may not be a second remastering. From the discussion here it appears there was definite improvement between the original and latest Melodiya releases, and an unnamed Amazon reviewer apparently thinks the latest Melodiya also sounds better than the Aulos.

Comment

• oliver sudden
            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Retune View Post
            Looking at the images on Discogs, the Aulos has a DSD label on the box but there are no pictures of the contents
            The contents are just CDs but the remastering was done in DSD. Which raises the lovely thought that there must be some DSD files of these recordings already sitting on someone’s hard drive somewhere!

Although the reality that said files presumably belong to Melodiya brings that thought down to earth a bit.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

Yes, a poorly conceived and badly structured BaL. There seems to be room for a finely played, wisely interpreted, new version to complete with the faded sound of Soviet lions and the patchy American conductors.
              Petrenko on Naxos ? Sanderling from 1982 on Berlin Classics . Neeme Jarvi on Chandos- all very good indeed.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                • Dec 2012

sounds very compressed on FM and as Andrew has pointed out some instruments are weirdly forward in the balance (spot mic ing again) but musically very fine.
                Yes, very compressed. Also rather thin sound and NO BASS! What a shame as its certainly an exciting performance.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post

Yes, very compressed. Also rather thin sound and NO BASS! What a shame as its certainly an exciting performance.
                  Underlines the need for a modern all digital recording with an engineer who knows what they are doing.

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

Underlines the need for a modern all digital recording with an engineer who knows what they are doing.
                    I hear you, loud and clear, Ein Heldenleben.

Comment

• Goon525
                      • Feb 2014

Isn’t that what the Pittsburgh/Honeck does superbly?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post

Isn’t that what the Pittsburgh/Honeck does superbly?
                        Yes well that got rather glossed over . The Previn sounded fine (technically )* way better than Bernstein NYPhil , Mravinsky and Kondrashin.
                        *also musically - better than fine in fact.

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                          • Dec 2010

Yes well that got rather glossed over . The Previn sounded fine (technically )* way better than Bernstein NYPhil , Mravinsky and Kondrashin.
                          *also musically - better than fine in fact.
                          Well once again there's an opinion you can agree or disagree with ...as I do
                          "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

Working...
                          X