• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post
    I have four recordings of no.5 on my shelves. The two that I have been most impressed by are Previn and Barshai. I have the Barshai in the Brilliant box; excellent performances, but terrible documentation. I don’t expect texts and translations at that price - obviously, but I do expect proper listings of the artists; the soloists aren’t mentioned anywhere for symphony no.14.

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 14 in G minor, Op. 135

Work length 45:28
    • Alla Simoni (soprano), Vladimir Vaneev (bass)
    • West German Radio Symphony Orchestra
    • Rudolph Barshai
    • Recorded: 1999 - 2000
    • Recording Venue: Philharmonie, Koln, Germany
    From this Presto link:

Shostakovich - Complete Symphonies. Brilliant Classics: 6324. Buy 11 CDs or download online. WDR Sinfonieorchester, Rudolf Barshai

Comment

• Lordgeous
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      My first recording was the Phlips Bychkov for which I still have a great regard - since then Ancerl, Barbirolli, Barshai, Bernstein NYPO 1959, Nelsons, Ormandy, Petrenko, Previn RCA , Sanderling and Stokowski live have joined the ranks - but it is Lenny and the NYPO still for me - far from saying all there is to say about the piece but its a great performance
      As a teenager I was introduced to the DS 5th by the Bernstein recording, which I still enjoy and rate, but maybe I should also have an alternative view. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Wolfram
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

• Rudolph Barshai
        From this Presto link:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ete-symphonies
        Thank you very much for this. The soloists are definitely not listed in the either the accompanying booklet or on the back of the cardboard cd slip case in my copy.

Many thanks.

Comment

• CallMePaul
          • Jan 2014

• Rudolph Barshai
          From this Presto link:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...ete-symphonies
          The complete set (which I already own) is a bargain at Presto's current offer price of £20.50. Id I remember correctly, his version of No 9 was the top BAL rexommendation a few years back.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post

The complete set (which I already own) is a bargain at Presto's current offer price of £20.50. Id I remember correctly, his version of No 9 was the top BAL rexommendation a few years back.
            It must now be in a different incarnation, as mine is in CD cases (and the soloist information is also given in the tray insert), not cardboard ones.

Comment

• oliver sudden
              • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post

As a teenager I was introduced to the DS 5th by the Bernstein recording, which I still enjoy and rate, but maybe I should also have an alternative view. Any suggestions?
              Definitely give Ančerl a try but I think you may well have started pretty near the top or even at it.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I think I got the Barshai set for £14 and unless I am going made from somewhere like Superdrug .

Comment

• Wolfram
                  • Jul 2019

It must now be in a different incarnation, as mine is in CD cases (and the soloist information is also given in the tray insert), not cardboard ones.
                  Definitely cardboard sleeves, no track details in the booklet only on the back of the cardboard sleeves. The bass soloist in no.13 is credited on the relevant sleeve. The packaging and presentation is the same as it is for the Brilliant box of the complete Haydn symphonies from Adam Fischer.

Comment

• akiralx
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post

Berlin SO/Sanderling, or for something more recent, Boston SO/Nelsons on DG.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Just checked Presto - Ancerl is available coupled with the first symphony. Bardhai is a bargain at just over £29 for the full srt of symphonies in the current Presto sale of Brilliant Classics.
                      This is an even better bargain - I got it many years ago and it's a very fine collection. You get the Barshai symphonies plus a host of other things.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

MP3 of the Barshai are very inexpensive. I purchased the whole cycle as an Amazon download for $5 several years ago

Comment

• Lordgeous
                          • Dec 2012

Thanks guys. Barshai set duly ordered.

Comment

Working...
                          X