Clear All
  • Goon525
    • Feb 2014

A win for Vilde Frang.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

The website is rather strange at present.
      The playlist currently has this as the last item:

Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Violin Concerto in D major Op.35 (3rd mvt)

Performer: Vilde Frang. Orchestra: Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra. Conductor: James Gaffigan.
      • WARNER.
      So did we get the whole (shock horror) of the third movement played after this version was declared the winner, or has something gone awry in the listing? I wasn't listening!

Comment

• Goon525
        • Feb 2014

No, not the whole movement, but we did get two extracts of the finale from her. It was the now customary ‘here’s my shortlist of three, play a bit of each, announce the winner and play the end of the work by them’.

Comment

• Retune
          • Feb 2022

I liked Vilde Frang immediately and ended up ordering a copy before they selected the final three.

Comment

• ucanseetheend
            • Dec 2010

Dreadful review! All the recordings made in 20th century he dismisses with just a passing reference to Heifetz masterpiece with a comment about the fact it's an old recording from 1953. Well guess what Mr Mival it's not about the date of recording it's the quality of performance that matters .
            ​​​
            "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• mikealdren
              • Nov 2010

Haven't listened yet but I have Frang, Haveron, Heifetz, Perlman and Shaham. All a\re well played but the Heifetz is incomparable with Frang a very good modern 2nd best.

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                Haven't listened yet but I have Frang, Haveron, Heifetz, Perlman and Shaham. All a\re well played but the Heifetz is incomparable with Frang a very good modern 2nd best.
                Yup
                "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• oliver sudden
                  • Feb 2024

I heard this live recently, with Hilary Hahn playing the absolute living daylights out of it. Alas like many of the posters above I couldn’t for the life of me warm to the piece! A shame since I remember loving the violin sonata last time I heard it.

Comment

• LHC
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
                    I heard this live recently, with Hilary Hahn playing the absolute living daylights out of it. Alas like many of the posters above I couldn’t for the life of me warm to the piece! A shame since I remember loving the violin sonata last time I heard it.
                    There is a live recording of Hilary Hahn playing the Korngold concerto with Kent Nagano and the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester. It was included as a bonus on a 'Portrait' DVD released by DG in 2005.

Although the DVD appears to no longer be available, I think the performance is on Youtube.
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

I’m gathering that Gluzman wasn’t mentioned.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Not surprised Frang won - its very fine and is coupled with an outstanding recording of the Britten in the Ida Haendel class.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Anyone still listen live to Record Review ? I have not even listened to Sounds since the Elgar 1

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            Anyone still listen live to Record Review ? I have not even listened to Sounds since the Elgar 1
                            I just check later on Sounds - the winner is usually announced at around 1 hour 45 minutes.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                              I’m gathering that Gluzman wasn’t mentioned.
                              Correct.

This is one of the few violin concertos I love, and have done since the Shaham/Previn recording came out (which I bought because of the Barber coupling, which I’d loved for years before that). That performance of the Korngold really stands up and I’ve added the Heifetz and the Schmid/VPO.

However I haven’t really kept up with more recent issues and for that reason, unlike others here, I was glad of the emphasis of this review and the chance to compare more recent recordings.

Skride, Frang, Goulding and Haveron are all going to get a proper listen here.

Useful BAL

"...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

It seems there is a Vilde Frang Elgar Violin Concerto coming on Warner with Robin Ticciati conducting a German orchestra - i imagine Mirga's exclusive DG contract stopped it being with her and the CBSO - which is a shame judging by their performances of the work in concert.

Comment

Working...
                                X