X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akiralx
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    It seems there is a Vilde Frang Elgar Violin Concerto coming on Warner with Robin Ticciati conducting a German orchestra - i imagine Mirga's exclusive DG contract stopped it being with her and the CBSO - which is a shame judging by their performances of the work in concert.
    That is good news - there is a YouTube film of Ticciati conducting it for Capucon (whose version with Rattle didn't quite come off for me).

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      It seems there is a Vilde Frang Elgar Violin Concerto coming on Warner with Robin Ticciati conducting a German orchestra - i imagine Mirga's exclusive DG contract stopped it being with her and the CBSO - which is a shame judging by their performances of the work in concert.
      Fantastic! That’s excellent news!

I heard Ms. Frang play the DSCH first concerto with the LSO a year past February for a 60th birthday treat. A friend in the orchestra tried to organise for me to meet her but she was rushing to catch a plane. However, she gave me a birthday card through my friend which is now framed in the sitting room!

The DSCH was absolutely wonderful. She’s a player I’m very fond of. I have no doubt the Elgar will be superb.

I heard her play the Beethoven Concerto with Ticciati and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra a few years and was very impressed with both her playing and the conducting. I think they will be a great partnership.
      Last edited by pastoralguy; 12-07-24, 11:00.

Comment

• Master Jacques
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

You're not alone in finding the work dull, Paul. There is one brief passage which is quite nice in which I am sure I hear as cribbed from a passage in the Walton VC, which would be an irony, given the latter's propensity for, er, re-imaging the work of others.
        I see I'm not alone, for once. Listening to this padded epigone of the real thing (i.e. the superb Walton concerto which Korngold so shamelessly cribbed) it's a testament to a modern decline in listener attention (and perhaps musical taste in general) that we can find so many recordings of this very poor concerto on the market. So much dull sequential writing, and so little music. Yet liner note writers still have the gall to say it's "unfairly neglected" because of its connection to film. On the contrary, it's "unfairly hyped" because of its easy-listening slickness.

(Said liner-noters need to get their ears to Radio 3 ground these days, when unless something is connected to film it doesn't get a look in!)

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

Fantastic! That’s excellent news!

I heard Ms. Frang play the DSCH first concerto with the LSO a year past February for a 60th birthday treat. A friend in the orchestra tried to organise for me to meet her but she was rushing to catch a plane. However, she gave me a birthday card through my friend which is now framed in the sitting room!

The DSCH was absolutely wonderful. She’s a player I’m very fond of. I have no doubt the Elgar will be superb.

I heard her play the Beethoven Concerto with Ticciati and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra a few years and was very impressed with both her playing and the conducting. I think they will be a great partnership.
          I don’t doubt it but a performance with Mirga and the CBSO was outstanding in 2019 and they played it again in Birmimgham last year which I had to miss due to snow !!

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Amazon suggest release in September.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

I see I'm not alone, for once. Listening to this padded epigone of the real thing (i.e. the superb Walton concerto which Korngold so shamelessly cribbed) it's a testament to a modern decline in listener attention (and perhaps musical taste in general) that we can find so many recordings of this very poor concerto on the market. So much dull sequential writing, and so little music. Yet liner note writers still have the gall to say it's "unfairly neglected" because of its connection to film. On the contrary, it's "unfairly hyped" because of its easy-listening slickness.

(Said liner-noters need to get their ears to Radio 3 ground these days, when unless something is connected to film it doesn't get a look in!)
              I had to look up 'epigone', which would appear to refer to inferior followers or imitators of great(er) composers, rather than their works.

Comment

• Master Jacques
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I had to look up 'epigone', which would appear to refer to inferior followers or imitators of great(er) composers, rather than their works.
                It can serve for either, as it's usual to personalise musical works as well as people. Korngold certainly became a Walton epigone in his pretentious symphonic works, including this one. As in his earlier career, he was adept at following fashions rather than instigating them.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Sounded like a Greek god(ess) to me, so I'm not altogether surprised to see its etymology here (though it seems a bit harsh if you are simply a son of a hero!).

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Sounded like a Greek god(ess) to me, so I'm not altogether surprised to see its etymology here (though it seems a bit harsh if you are simply a son of a hero!).

https://www.wordnik.com/words/epigone
                    This is definitely my day for musical discoveries, as 'epigone' is also an anagram of 'Gone Pie', which is a song by Patti Smith.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Listening to this padded epigone of the real thing (i.e. the superb Walton concerto which Korngold so shamelessly cribbed) it's a testament to a modern decline in listener attention (and perhaps musical taste in general) that we can find so many recordings of this very poor concerto on the market. So much dull sequential writing, and so little music.
                      Come on, Master Jacques, enough of this sitting on the fence!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

n!)
                        In your very humble opinion…

Comment

• Retune
                          • Feb 2022

Korngold certainly became a Walton epigone in his pretentious symphonic works, including this one.
                          I try to resist the cacoethes to use 'epigone' and 'pretentious' in the same sentence, as the one tends to undermine the effect of the other.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Retune View Post
                            I try to resist the cacoethes to use 'epigone' and 'pretentious' in the same sentence, as the one tends to undermine the effect of the other.
                            That's something else I've learned today - I've been succumbing to cacoethes on occasion for years (not least on this Forum!)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

In mine as well!

Comment

• Master Jacques
                                • Feb 2012

Humility? Vastly over-rated.
                                I take my cue from Gilbert's Robin Oakapple, which I had the pleasure of playing aged 10 (child genius):

If you wish in the world to advance
                                Your merits you're bound to enhance.
                                You must stir it and stump it
                                And blow your own trumpet
                                Or, trust me, you haven't a chance!

Comment

Working...
                                X