• Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

BaL 22.06.24 - Handel: Theodora

3.00 pm
    Building a Library

Kirsten Gibson chooses her favourite recording of George Frideric Handel's Theodora.

As Judas Maccabaeus, The Occasional Oratorio and Joshua showed, Handel certainly knew how to write a chauvinist, tub-thumping hit of an oratorio; with its contrasts between the reflective and the grand and ceremonial, Messiah was an instant success. But for his penultimate oratorio, the 64-year-old Handel set a story of religious devotion and human dignity to music whose prevailing mood is its reflective inwardness. With music of unsentimental tenderness beautiful, contemplative arias are often matched with serene and poignant choruses as the story of spiritual strength and agonising loss unfolds.

In fourth-century Antioch, the noble woman Theodora refuses to join a pagan ritual in honour of the Roman emperor. Imprisoned and, condemned to a fate worse than death, Theodora is sent to the temple of Venus to be a prostitute. Didimus, a Roman soldier in love with Theodora and a secret Christian convert, changes clothes with her and takes her place in prison. But their plan is discovered and the oratorio ends as they await their martyrdom.

Much to Handel's chagrin, Theodora was a flop but today it's recognised as one of his greatest works, full of memorable and moving music.

Presto listing here:

This page lists all recordings of Theodora, HWV 68 by George Frideric Handel (1685–1759).

Recommended version:

Louise Alder (Theodora), Tim Mead (Didymus), Anna Stéphany (Irene), Stuart Jackson (Septimius), Adam Plachetka (Valens)
    Arcangelo
    Jonathan Cohen (conductor)
    Alpha ALPHA1025
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 22-06-24, 20:51. Reason: Recommended version added.
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

I wish I had known this was going to be reviewed. Having read lots of comments recently, I plumped for the McCreesh version. It is excellent, but I'd like to have heard this BAL before having made my decision.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

Though I don't have a copy, I well remember what may have been the first recording, featuring a distiguished cast including Maureen Forrester, Heather Harper and Alexander Young, and conducted by Johannes Somary, quite a pioneer of complete Handel on disc in his day. I like to think that his recordings encouraged the next generation to take up these fine if uneven works. .

I'm content with the Paul McCreesh version , which I listened to recently.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Summary of available versions from the Presto site (listed by conductor, and naming only the ensemble, not soloists etc)

ROH/Bicket (BR, DVD)
        Freiburg Barockorchester/Bolton (BR, DVD)
        Les Arts Florissants/Christie (D)
        Arcangelo/Cohen (CD, D)
        Il Pomo d'Oro/Emelyanychev (CD, D)
        Freiburg Barockorchester/Martini (CD, D)
        Gabrieli/McCreesh (D)
        Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra/McGegan (D)
        Collegium Cartusianum/Neumann (CD, DVD)
        Bachorchester Mainz/Otto (CD)
        ECO/Somary (CD: in the 65-CD Brilliant Classics Handel box)

Code: BR=Blu-ray, CD= CD, D=download, DVD=DVD

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

There is also a version by Harnoncourt, which I would very much like to hear.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            There is also a version by Harnoncourt, which I would very much like to hear.
            Sadly listed as unavailable on Amazon, Micky:

But I imagine that it might well be streamable.

Comment

• Rolmill
              • Nov 2010

I have the McCreesh and it is very good, but have a particular affection for William Christie's Glyndebourne performance with OAE and a stellar cast. It was recorded from live performances in 1996, so there is some audience and stage noise to contend with, but it's well worth it for the wonderful singing (notably from Lorraine Hunt and David Daniels, but all are excellent).

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Hard to top Lorraine Hunt in this role.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  Hard to top Lorraine Hunt in this role.
                  Available here on DVD as Irene

or here on CD as Theodora

Handel: Theodora, HWV 68. Harmonia Mundi: HMU907060/62. Buy download online. Lorraine Hunt (Theodora), Drew Minter (Didymus), Jennifer Lane (Irene), Jeffrey Thomas (Septimius), David Thomas (Valens) Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra, Nicholas McGegan

Here's a review of the Glyndebourne production:

This recording is full of audience noise but as a memento of one of Glyndebourne's finest shows of recent times it's matchless, writes Andrew Clements
                  Last edited by Pulcinella; 31-05-24, 10:42.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

That's odd, I've just found it on Amazon, with second hand versions very cheap! Mind you, noticed in the comments that the counter tenor Kowalski is the fly in the ointment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handel-Theo...l%2C137&sr=1-9
                    Well done you: maybe my search was too specific and found a different listing!

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Well done you: maybe my search was too specific and found a different listing!
                      It happens to me often - it's always worth trying several different searches! But I'm intrigued by that reviewer who says Kowalski is just awful. Has anyone else heard this recording?

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Micky - pretty cheap in France too -

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

It happens to me often - it's always worth trying several different searches! But I'm intrigued by that reviewer who says Kowalski is just awful. Has anyone else heard this recording?
                          A review from each of those links (but possibly by the same person?):

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 6 February 2017

This is well recorded but the counter tenor, Jochen Kowalski, is awful. I know a counter tenor is a man singing falsetto but Kowalski makes this all too obvious. He sounds like he is straining and the result is an ugly sound. Apparently he is noted for his very rich timbre. Mmmmmmm?

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 17 February 2017

Theodora is a delightful piece but this recording is spoiled for me by counter tenor Kowalski's ugly sound, which I take not to be typical of his work. Look elsewhere for a decent counter tenor or mezzo. Eliot-Gardiner is ok.

Comment

• crb11
                            • Jan 2011

Lionel Salter in Gramophone wasn't keen either. "His part has a difficult start with a rapturous aria in E flat, in which Jochen Kowalski seems less at ease in matters of intonation, though by his second aria, ''Kind heaven'', he has recovered his usual splendid form". Nor on the recording as a whole, although it was a welcome improvement on the only preceding one he'd heard.

Comment

Working...
                            X