X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ucanseetheend
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Which streaming service? Qobuz have it correct. Don't forget the dates given are often picked randomly, and are often re-issue dates, rather than recording dates......annoying, isn't it?!
    Spotify
    "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• Roger Webb
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post

Spotify
      Yes, Spotify are slapdash on recording dates...just looked and the '73 (released in '74) is dated 1995. The other thing I prefer about Qobuz is their attention to detail...you often get a full booklet, if not, then at least a full list of credits, incl. actual recording/original release dates.

Comment

• Master Jacques
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I’m with you completely - and it’s why the Kempe/Dresden has long been my go-to recording, as they give the most seductive reading of ‘the rest’ … after an opening which isn’t especially spectacular, definitely an introduction to ‘the rest’ rather than a thing in itself.

Rather enjoyed Jonathan Cross’s way with the limited BAL format (although he did leave a couple of puzzles about the extracts played). I’m going to seek out the Bychkov/Philharmonia because I want to hear those outrageous timps again!
        Having listened to this yesterday, I agree that Jonathan Cross's survey was "rather enjoyable", although his criterion for that final choice (essentially, "just to make a change from the usual classic versions") rather knocked the skids from under the whole idea of Building a Library. It seemed aimed at those who already had their Reiners, Karajans, Kempes et al. which is fair enough, though I must say that my impression of the winning recording was that it suggested a falling off from the palmy days of LP recording. Everything was clean, clear and lacking in grandeur and mystery as a result.

Personally, I shall stick with the tried and trusted Kempe, Reiner and Karajan (Vienna 1959) recordings.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

I agree . I thought Mr Cross was a personable reviewer but this was yet another BAL spoiled by Mr McGregor's obsession with the recorded sound and his usual tedious pressing the reviewer to choose a recent recording.

I have Kempe, Krauss, 1954 Reiner and 1973 Karajan and jolly good they all are but I was not swayed from my affection for the del Mar.

Comment

• Master Jacques
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            I agree . I thought Mr Cross was a personable reviewer but this was yet another BAL spoiled by Mr McGregor's obsession with the recorded sound and his usual tedious pressing the reviewer to choose a recent recording.

I have Kempe, Krauss, 1954 Reiner and 1973 Karajan and jolly good they all are but I was not swayed from my affection for the del Mar.
            I don't know that we should blame Mr McGregor for that (although he will repeat all that silly nonsense about those 'sour oboes' he hears in every non-British recording from before about 1990). As for del Mar, that's a terrific choice to add to my own irreplaceable NdM/Strauss possession - the 2nd edition of his matchless, three-volume critical biography.

Comment

• akiralx
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

I heard Del Mar live several times, somewhere above I mention a Bax 6 in Bristol, I also remember his Mahler 6 in the same venue (Colston Hall)...in connexion with this it's worth getting his Eulenburg study on the Mahler.

But mostly I'm grateful to his contribution to the Delius Festival at Bradford which I attended in '85.....I met him there and he kindly signed my programme.....as luck would have it on the page for the concert incl. The Enigma Variations.

​​​
              That's a great programme (from my home city) - did he record either of the Delius works? I have his very luxuriant and long-breathed version of Paris - Song of a Great City on Unicorn, which is at the other end of the tempo spectrum to my favourite, Sir Andrew Davis on Chandos.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                • Feb 2024

Originally posted by akiralx View Post

That's a great programme (from my home city) - did he record either of the Delius works? I have his very luxuriant and long-breathed version of Paris - Song of a Great City on Unicorn, which is at the other end of the tempo spectrum to my favourite, Sir Andrew Davis on Chandos.
                I don't think Del Mar did record either of the above works....he did a disc for Chandos of some smaller pieces, and there's a splendid Mass of Life from a live recording on Intaglio label - I held a party in Hyde Park for the mail order customers of my CDshop prior to his Proms appearance in that Mass of Life in '88* But apart from the Paris, I don't think there is much.

Edit. * Not the same as the Intaglio which is from 1971 and is coupled with a Requiem (underrated work!) from 1965.
                Last edited by Roger Webb; 25-06-24, 08:17.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  I've never quite believed Reiner was the sourpuss he's depicted as. After all, he commissioned (and recorded) Robert Russell Bennett's 'Symphonic Picture' of Porgy and Bess, so he must have had a fun streak in him.
                  He makes a decent stab at Liebermann's Concerto for big band in the big Reiner box

Comment

Working...
                  X