X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    It provided a good work-out for the subwoofer......................................... . I really don't like Richard Strauss.
    Mine too, those low Cs on the double bass extenders are 33hz........................................... Rosenkavalier?!

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Is a single recommendation now the norm?

Comment

• Goon525
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        Is a single recommendation now the norm?
        Yes, has been for ages. We normally get a short list of three before the final/movement/song/whatever, a bit of each played and then a winner is announced.

Comment

• Goon525
          • Feb 2014

In other words, it’s a bit like a reality tv show. Strictly come library building?

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post

Yes, has been for ages. We normally get a short list of three before the final/movement/song/whatever, a bit of each played and then a winner is announced.
            'Winner' added to original post.

Comment

• Roger Webb
              • Feb 2024

Have you any answer to my point in #29 above about which Reiner/Chicago they played?

Comment

• Goon525
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                Have you any answer to my point in #29 above about which Reiner/Chicago they played?
                No easy way of knowing, given the ambiguity of what was said. Unless someone has both versions, and can be bothered to do some timing?

Comment

• Roger Webb
                  • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post

No easy way of knowing, given the ambiguity of what was said. Unless someone has both versions, and can be bothered to do some timing?
                  No, I've the '54 on Lp, Qobuz has both '54 and '62 in several masterings....I'll do a bit of research after listening again to the BaL.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Well certainly for the Karajan the later digital one was recorded when the orchestra was having a bit of an off day - the playing is not on a par with that he obtained in '73...just listening to tne opening, it's one of those instances where, as Jonathan pointed out, there's a mismatch between orchestra and organ.

This Gramophone review might be interesting

Strauss’s tone-poem may have been hijacked by the movies but there’s far more to the score than that famous sunrise, argues Philip Clark, as he seeks the finest recording

BTW. I was a bit mystified by CD McG's comment that the Reiner/Chicago he (claimed to have) played was the 1962 RCA Red Seal/living Stereo recording.

The RCA Red Seal is the 1962 one, but the Living Stereo is the 1954 recording - which is a Red Seal recording! But the '62 was never a Living Stereo....so which did he play?

We've had this sort of cock-up before.....especially annoying when it was my request for the 'On Repeat' slot. I requested Solti/Chicago Bartok Dance Suite and they played Solti/LSO....not the same thing!
                    The 1962 recording was issued with the Burleske and the Rosenkavalier Waltzes as a Living Stereo CD - see

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204115921564?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=204115921564&targeti d= 2299003535955&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=900752 7&poi=&campaignid=21214273144&mkgroupid=16431647 08 67&rlsatarget=pla-2299003535955&abcId=9407518&merchantid=101750152&g ad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmrqzBhAoEiwAXVpgorVeR17e hpogf7Y3pz9oRQuv6743LduP0E0lg2hbZijoFoirhGP1mhoC0Y UQAvD_BwE

So the references in BaL to the 1962 recording might well have been to, well, the 1962 recording. It's all rather confusing as the SACD version of ASZ, coupled with Ein Heldenleben, is of course the 1954 recording.
                    Last edited by HighlandDougie; 16-06-24, 09:45.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Mine too, those low Cs on the double bass extenders are 33hz........................................... Rosenkavalier?!
                      How did it cope with the 32 foot C on the organ - a mere 16 hz ?

And are there any records with the only two 64foot low C organs in the world ?
                      A wall threatening 8 HZ!

Comment

• Roger Webb
                        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

How did it cope with the 32 foot C on the organ - a mere 16 hz ?

And are there any records with the only two 64foot low C organs in the world ?
                        A wall threatening 8 HZ!
                        I still have something at 16hz, but it's curtailed....always difficult to know, as maybe the recording is down at that frequency.

I use a Quad L-Series subwoofer in conjunction with Quad 2812 electrostatics. The electrostatics are about 3db down at 38hz, and the low pass on the sub is set to 45hz. They 'marry' very well, and orchestral bass drums (usually about 38hz fundamental) are truly awesome, double basses down to their 'normal' E (41hz), open bottom string - especially 'pizz', are very satisfying.

For 8hz.....you need to be there!

Comment

• Roger Webb
                          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

The 1962 recording was issued with the Burleske and the Rosenkavalier Waltzes as a Living Stereo CD - see

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204115921564?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=204115921564&targeti d= 2299003535955&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=900752 7&poi=&campaignid=21214273144&mkgroupid=16431647 08 67&rlsatarget=pla-2299003535955&abcId=9407518&merchantid=101750152&g ad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwmrqzBhAoEiwAXVpgorVeR17e hpogf7Y3pz9oRQuv6743LduP0E0lg2hbZijoFoirhGP1mhoC0Y UQAvD_BwE

So the references in BaL to the 1962 recording might well have been to, well, the 1962 recording. It's all rather confusing as the SACD version of ASZ, coupled with Ein Heldenleben, is of course the 1954 recording.
                          Thanks for the information Dougie, yes confusing, I've been back to BaL podcast and fairly sure the Reiner they played was '62 - shame they didn't play the opening, as the timps are on the left in the '62, right of centre in '54...and very soggy!

Looking at the sleeve verso on the above CD the producer is given as Richard Mohr, which is correct for '62....Pheiffer for '54.

Having been onto Discogs all the sleeves shown are similar, with slight deviations for re-issues, for both '54 (all with Living Stereo) and for ('62, all that grotty green!).....apart from the above CD!

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                            • Dec 2010

All rather confusing trying to find the 1973 BPO Karajan on my streaming service . It has 1995 and 2003 recordings.The cover of eclipse of sun recording is listed as 1995 . Frustrating
                            "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Well certainly for the Karajan the later digital one was recorded when the orchestra was having a bit of an off day - the playing is not on a par with that he obtained in '73...
                              … although the thing that jumped out to me just listening to the start of BAL was a nasty brass split note in that opening of the ‘73 Karajan
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roger Webb
                                • Feb 2024

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
                                All rather confusing trying to find the 1973 BPO Karajan on my streaming service . It has 1995 and 2003 recordings.The cover of eclipse of sun recording is listed as 1995 . Frustrating
                                Which streaming service? Qobuz have it correct. Don't forget the dates given are often picked randomly, and are often re-issue dates, rather than recording dates......annoying, isn't it?!

Comment

Working...
                                X