X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    Which company did he record the Mozart concerti with, Vints?
    I have six CDs of his on the accent label, with his ensemble cristofori

Comment

• oliver sudden
      • Feb 2024

They’re with Accent (if I may…oh, vinteuil was quicker). I had reviewed some of his Beethovens and happily signed up for the first Mozarts but in general didn’t find them as satisfying. I did hear his 21 the other day though and enjoyed it more than I remembered so I might cautiously investigate the ones I’ve missed.

Comment

• Retune
        • Feb 2022

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        I am listening to the Perahia K.467 that was the discmate for the featured work and loving the rhythmic freedom that M.P. takes in the slow movement.
        At school, we were taught about Mozart in a rather unappealing way, emphasising his talents as a child prodigy who was made to seem rather irritating, a china doll composer of merely pretty tunes. Or maybe I was just being clueless. When I started to buy my own music, a cassette that paired Perahia's K466 and K467 was one of the first recordings that showed me exactly how wrong this was.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

Sadly, that false image of Mozart persisted for many years. In Britainand America, Sir Thomas Beecham was one of those who showed how much more there was to Mozart's music.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

The coupling of K459 and K488 ECO/Perahia I had on cassette until it pretty much snapped . One of my other favourite records in the series was K450 and K451 - agree that K503 was a relative disappointment.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              Goodness, I missed those. I used to follow all of Accent's activity avidly but now they seem to issue more releases than I can keep up with. Definitely missed those CDs. Looking at the blurb on the Presto site, it would appear that Accent intend a complete cycle. Will they make it, I wonder?

Comment

• Opinionated Knowall
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... Brautigam, Levin, Schoonderwoerd, V Sofronitzky, Schiff, Demus, Zacharias, Ashkenazy, Anda, Goode...
                On the HIP front, can I give shout out for Robert Levin/Christopher Hogwood? If this recording has been mentioned, I missed it. Levin's sense of fantasy, an improvisatory spontaneity, I find irresistable! And would second your recommendation of Richard Goode, wonderfully refined and cultured playing.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Rather ordinary orchestral playing and a slightly oddly balanced (and rather aged) recording aside, the Clara Haskil recording which I listened to earlier was simply in a different league from that of Christian Zacharias, plucked at random
                  also from the shelves. The Haskil has that time standing still quality in the slow movement shared with Perahia and Uchida but, alas, not to my ears with de Larrocha.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    ( even if Rubinstein's omission is less of a surprise) .
                    Is this the Rubinstein/Barbirolli or are there other Rubinstein versions? That one wouldn’t be my Single Library Choice but it’s an absolute must-hear for my money. It’s so alive, the spontaneity of it is incredible.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      The Haskil has that time standing still quality in the slow movement shared with Perahia and Uchida but, alas, not to my ears with de Larrocha.
                      Coincidentally, I was listening only last night to my off-air concert recording of De Larrocha's Goyescas, which she followed with the K475 Fantasia: I silently deleted that one from my computer.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
                        Does anyone understand why she started with Andsnes, seemed to like it and made no critical comment, and then never mentioned it again?
                        Very odd, indeed - particularly as LP enthused about how together everyone sounded, despite Andsnes coming in at a markedly different tempo to the orchestral introduction, as if the piano entry was from a different ‘take’. I wasn’t sorry the reviewer ignored it after that, but it was a bizarre waste of time.

I found it a pretty woolly BAL generally (the chat about the slow movement was especially vacant), interesting only for a couple of the performances I hadn’t heard before. It reminded me why Alicia de Larrocha is one of my favourite pianists - yet I’d never heard her in this concerto; and the Sokolov was very entertaining.

I’ll be investigating both those (having been familiar with the ‘winner’ since the 1980s - gorgeous indeed)
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

Arthur Rubinstein made another recording in 1961 with Josef Krips conducting 'The RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra' which I believe was a London Orchestra adopting this oft-used pseudonym for the day. I thik JohnCulshaw was involved , as I remember his saying how Rubinstein pleaded with him to palance the sound of the piano forward, so it may have been one of the British RCA recordings made by Decca. I'm sorry I don't have any definite details. .

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

Is this the Rubinstein/Barbirolli or are there other Rubinstein versions? .

Comment

• mikealdren
                              • Nov 2010

The Sokolov arrived yesterday and it is indeed very entertaining, not a BAL choice as it's too individual but your really should hear it.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post

Agree, but the fly in the ointment is the huge variation in recording quality / sound in this cycle. Ranges from excellent right down to 'rough'. I do find this a distraction, if listening to two or three of the concertos in one session. Maybe that's just me being 'picky' - I don't know.
                                I have been playing through the Perahia cycle since it arrived here a few days ago and I haven’t noticed anything objectionable about the engineering

Comment

Working...
                                X