X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I may have 'misremembered' the reviewer's comment about Boult and EE's recording. The more I read about that 1976 Prom the more I wish I'd been there, but thankfully we can hear it whenever we want to! I'm pleased to say that I shall shortly be in receipt of a copy of the King's Lynn performance.
    I wonder if other BBC MM recordings will find their way onto commercial CDs and thereby qualify for consideration on Record Review.
    No – you didn't 'misremember' – ML said it was the 1976 concert, but it wasn't. And yes, it was one of those great concerts that I'll never forget (Martin Cotton puts it very well in his booklet note for the ICA Classics release). I hope you enjoy the Barbirolli King's Lynn performance – it's moving and thrilling at the same time.

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

I don't disagree with you or Mr Lewis about the 1976 Prom at all - its quite marvellous and definitely the Boult performance I listen to most of all.

My criticism of Mr Lewis does not relate only to his joining in the attack on Barbirolli's Philharmonia account but an earlier Gramophone collection in which he launched an attack on the Mutter/Meneses Karajan Brahms Double Concerto recording which seemed to me to be utterly unfair and bizarre.
      That's a very fair point. I've never understood the attacks on JB's Elgar. In my just-finished book on Elgar and Boult (coming out next year), I've included a chapter at the end which extols the virtues of Barbirolli as well – it's always struck me as pointless (daft even) to denigrate the one at the expense of the other as they were both such great Elgarians.

Comment

• oliver sudden
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

They're happy enough to plunder the archive for 'Classical Live' and 'Through The Night'.
        The agreement between the BBC and the artists would presumably have covered an original broadcast and a certain number of rebroadcasts, but not a commercial release. At least if any of the agreements I’ve signed with similar organisations over the years are any guide.

When I found out that the BBC had recorded the premiere of a certain Britten opera once upon a time, I expressed my interest in hearing it to a Beeb-adjacent person. They suggested that my best chance might be to persuade a Beeb presenter to get it broadcast! (Turned out to be unnecessary, since Testament released it on CD some months later, with my booklet note as it happened, but that’s another story…)

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
          This is how Elgar wanted the LSO to play and interpret it, tempo,phrasing and however else it can be defined. Anyone who hasn't ever listened please give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9HtqWY8B-Q
          I think this is the recording included on Naxos CD 8.111256. Same venue, same orchestra and almost identical timings. The recording dates are given as 20th-22nd November 1930. 'First issued on HMV D 1944 through(?) 1949'.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by makropulos View Post

No – you didn't 'misremember' – ML said it was the 1976 concert, but it wasn't. And yes, it was one of those great concerts that I'll never forget (Martin Cotton puts it very well in his booklet note for the ICA Classics release). I hope you enjoy the Barbirolli King's Lynn performance – it's moving and thrilling at the same time.
            It's on its way!

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post

That's a very fair point. I've never understood the attacks on JB's Elgar. In my just-finished book on Elgar and Boult (coming out next year), I've included a chapter at the end which extols the virtues of Barbirolli as well – it's always struck me as pointless (daft even) to denigrate the one at the expense of the other as they were both such great Elgarians.
              Indeed, they both illuminate the greatness of his music from different angles so to speak . Elgar is hardly a composer where there is only one answer. I understand Elgar complimented both Boult and Barbirolli on their no doubt very different performances of his works. I think both ML and Mr Lewis do listeners a disservice by dismissing Barbirolli's account if it means they don't ever get to hear it . Although , I am sure I am not the only person who has heard an extract on BAL that the reviewer dismisses but has me ordering the recording .

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

I'm 72, and still don't get Elgar. Any recommendations for an introduction? (My starting point in music is early, baroque, Bach, classical... )

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  I'm 72, and still don't get Elgar. Any recommendations for an introduction? (My starting point in music is early, baroque, Bach, classical... )

Slightly tongue in cheek:

Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra play Sir Edward Elgar's orchestral transcription of Bach's Fantasia and Fugue in C minor for organ (recorded 1954). Pristine Audio's CD features 11 arrangements altogether, including Lucien Cailliet's version of "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" and Ormandy's own transcription of the famous Toccata and Fugue in D minor. (PASC 211).

Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra play Sir Edward Elgar's orchestral transcription of Bach's Fantasia and Fugue in C minor for organ (recorded 19...

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Slightly tongue in cheek:
                    ... Elgar's orchestral transcription of Bach's Fantasia and Fugue in C minor

ta! (Yes, I did know that one. And it's fun... )

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

No chance vints - if you’re candle hasn’t been lit by now it never will be. I feel the same about minimalists and rap!

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                        • Dec 2010

Baroque was best left in the 17th century for the privilged folk it was written
                        "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post

Baroque was best left in the 17th century for the privilged folk it was written
                          ... o, I hope Bach's congregation, peasants and all, had joy in the music

Comment

• Roger Webb
                            • Feb 2024

I'm 72, and still don't get Elgar. Any recommendations for an introduction?

Add an allegro!

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Add an allegro!
                              ho ho!

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Add an allegro!
                                A good place to start - an opinion clearly shared by Ken Russell in the first of his TV films about Elgar.

Comment

Working...
                                X