Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parry1912
    • Nov 2010

Interestingly, when Gramophone covered this in a Collection article about 5 years ago the ‘live’ Boult was the winner with Gardner as the ‘modern’ choice.
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Geraint Lewis - not a reliable reviewer to my ears .

Played the King's Lynn Barbirolli Elgar 1 - this evening -recorded only four days before he died . Packs a terrific punch even without knowing that it would be his last Elgar performance. Coupled with Introduction and Allegro for strings which knocks the John Wilson account played on Breakfast the other day into a cocked hat for all the slickness of the playing on the Wilson record.
      Last edited by Barbirollians; 02-06-24, 21:28.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Am reminded of what fhgl said in 2016 of the King's Lynn account

- hearing Barbirolli in Elgar #1 at any time (and I raise a glass unconstricted by Edwardian sensitivities to your truant disposition, Alpie - great story!) would have been a treasurable experience, but that King's Lynn performance is particularly breath-taking. I remember first hearing it on Radio3 about twenty years ago; I missed the opening bars, so didn't know who the performers were, but thought "Oh! Elgar #1 - I'll stay with this." Within seconds I couldn't move, so transfixing did I find the performance - "couldn't move"? The blazes! I don't think I breathed for the next 3/4 of an hour. Some years later, it was broadcast again - I almost didn't dare listen, just in case the real thing wasn't as good as memory: it was - exactly the same transfixing experience.

I know of no other recording that both supports and defeats Hornspieler's suggestions about Recording vs Live on another Thread: this Live performance has an intensity that no studio recording (and there are dozens of excellent ones) gets close to - but without the recording, we wouldn't be able to experience it now.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Played the King's Lynn Barbirolli Elgar 1 - this evening -recorded only four days before he died . Packs a terrific punch even without knowing that it would be his last Elgar performance. Coupled with Introduction and Allegro for strings which knocks the John Wilson account played on Breakfast the other day into a cocked hat for all the slickness of the playing on the Wilson record.
          I played the earlier Elder/Halle recording this evening, which I recorded on my TV when it formed part of a Classic FM Full Works concert. I think we are truly blessed to have so many fine recordings of this splendid work.

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Played the King's Lynn Barbirolli Elgar 1 - this evening -recorded only four days before he died
            Maybe not reliable (who is?), but in this instance I pretty much agree with him: Boult's live 1976 performance was exceptional in the hall at the time, and it remains exceptional for me. Incidentally, this was not the performance about which Boult said he'd just been listening to EE's recording – that was the Winter Prom in 1973 (which I was at, and of which I have an off-air recording). Of the most recent versions, I very much like Gardner along with Elder (and several others – though not Barenboim). As for older versions – I completely agree about JB's King's Lynn performance: another magnificent live account that I cherish.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by makropulos View Post

Maybe not reliable (who is?), but in this instance I pretty much agree with him: Boult's live 1976 performance was exceptional in the hall at the time, and it remains exceptional for me. Incidentally, this was not the performance about which Boult said he'd just been listening to EE's recording – that was the Winter Prom in 1973 (which I was at, and of which I have an off-air recording). Of the most recent versions, I very much like Gardner along with Elder (and several others – though not Barenboim). As for older versions – I completely agree about JB's King's Lynn performance: another magnificent live account that I cherish.
              I may have 'misremembered' the reviewer's comment about Boult and EE's recording. The more I read about that 1976 Prom the more I wish I'd been there, but thankfully we can hear it whenever we want to! I'm pleased to say that I shall shortly be in receipt of a copy of the King's Lynn performance.
              I wonder if other BBC MM recordings will find their way onto commercial CDs and thereby qualify for consideration on Record Review.

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                • Dec 2010

Most interesting part of the whole review is the comment conductors should not try and mimic Elgar's original recording. Still not a valid explanation why, except the fact it will never be as good despite having better quality sound
                "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I may have 'misremembered' the reviewer's comment about Boult and EE's recording. The more I read about that 1976 Prom the more I wish I'd been there, but thankfully we can hear it whenever we want to! I'm pleased to say that I shall shortly be in receipt of a copy of the King's Lynn performance.
                  I wonder if other BBC MM recordings will find their way onto commercial CDs and thereby qualify for consideration on Record Review.
                  BBC is notorious for not releasing audio from its archives. Ironic really when it's supposed to a public organization funded by a TV tax.
                  "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Tippett's S2 and S4, conducted by the composer (Volume 3, Number 6),

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tippett-Conducts-Symphonies-UK/dp/B000EVDW5K/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1CKM8MS41AMCA&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.i99 8X4dGN3IK8k_mjuOxQAOuniwF3j0jVSOk0SBRUPpIPA7Nl7cjE 0av_RTJ2I5LNaGeTMfYpujstv1a1Q8Ykscax5cqrBoFDEScGB9 IydJm5fYwFwdnlhYwsq_zlazlNEfHx2P-zdkz9f-4jldVbujaoJsGRca2mi2MscXHttLt67CxEhqbZ_pzsLgXOXek1 OmRUol3EUhQkHszQh9GkbfBgz7bymBpf0xbVjWM8zw.vqqrfG4 GU3cB7Vh5ZsvcgnzU3yEqvLbQTmT4oEz-oeM&dib_tag=se&keywords=Tippett+symphonies&qid=171 7386580&s=music&sprefix=tippett+symphonies%2Cpopul ar%2C69&sr=1-9

became the commercial NCM release

Tippett: Symphonines Nos. 2 & 4. NMC: NMCD104. Buy CD or download online. BBC Symphony Orchestra, Michael Tippett

and should certainly feature were there to be a Tippett BaL, even with its unfortunate typo (symphonines?).

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post

I don't disagree with you or Mr Lewis about the 1976 Prom at all - its quite marvellous and definitely the Boult performance I listen to most of all.

My criticism of Mr Lewis does not relate only to his joining in the attack on Barbirolli's Philharmonia account but an earlier Gramophone collection in which he launched an attack on the Mutter/Meneses Karajan Brahms Double Concerto recording which seemed to me to be utterly unfair and bizarre.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I played the earlier Elder/Halle recording this evening, which I recorded on my TV when it formed part of a Classic FM Full Works concert. I think we are truly blessed to have so many fine recordings of this splendid work.
                        Very much so.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
                          Most interesting part of the whole review is the comment conductors should not try and mimic Elgar's original recording. Still not a valid explanation why, except the fact it will never be as good despite having better quality sound
                          Possibly because any recording is a snapshot of his interpretation of the work at the time.
                          Interesting that ML seemed to prefer the 2001 Elder recording to the newly released 2021 live performance. Do I settle for what I already have with the earlier or does my curiosity need to be satisfied by either acquiring or at least Spotifying the new one?
                          Last edited by cloughie; 03-06-24, 08:34.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

BBC is notorious for not releasing audio from its archives. Ironic really when it's supposed to a public organization funded by a TV tax.
                            They're happy enough to plunder the archive for 'Classical Live' and 'Through The Night'.
                            I didn't know, or more likely had forgotten, that the Tippett 2nd and 4th, which I have as a BBC MM CD, had been released commercially.

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Possibly because any recording is a snapshot of his interpretation of the work at the time.
                              This is how Elgar wanted the LSO to play and interpret it, tempo,phrasing and however else it can be defined. Anyone who hasn't ever listened please give it a go.

Edward Elgar (1857-1934)Symphony No. 1 in A flat major (1907-08)I. Andante. Nobilmente e semplice – AllegroII. Allegro MoltoIII. AdagioIV. Lento – AllegroLon...

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

This is how Elgar wanted the LSO to play and interpret it, tempo,phrasing and however else it can be defined. Anyone who hasn't ever listened please give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9HtqWY8B-Q

The point was made , however, that when Elgar conducted it live his tempi could vary markedly. So not so sure that this recording ( wonderful as it is ) should be treated as a tablet of stone.

Comment

Working...
                                X