X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oliver sudden
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post

No stranger than the idea of a Berlin Staatskapelle Elgar 2, I'd say.
    Indeed not, but I would have hoped I’d have heard about such a tasty prospect!

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

George Hurst and the BBCPhilharmonic on Naxos was highly praised but seems unaccountably to have disappered from the radar, perhaps it is nla?

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

I'm pretty sure the BBC MM version of Belshazzar's Feast was praised highly, if not their top recommendation - Pulcinella will put me right if not.
        Apologies for staying off topic!
        The BBC MM recording of Belshazzar was well thought of (if not in the BaL as such), iirc; it was the coupling to the Gloucester Cathedral Tallis Fantasia recently mentioned elsewhere, issued as part of the BBC2 Masterworks Series.
        Willard White, BBC SO and Chorus, Leeds Festival Chorus, Andrew Davis.
        Leeds Town Hall, 18 April 1999.

There is possible confusion with a commercial release of a Proms performance on 10 September 1994:
        Bryn Terfel, BBC SO and Chorus, BBC Singers, Andrew Davis.
        That is coupled with a recording of RVW's Job.

Comment

• Roger Webb
          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

#18 corrected!
          I've just listened to Jeremy Summerly's summing up for Belshazzar's Feast and I don't think the BBC MM recording is mentioned.
          Which RR for Belshazzar were you looking at? Summerley did BaLs for Bel. In 2011 and 2014, the BBCMM disc with Bel. on it was Willard White/A Davis/BBCSO 1999, so could have been either of those.

Edit. Ah, just seen Pulcinella's post, I knew he'd know!.......to get back on topic I've got Barbirolli/Phil on right now from the 5 CD set on EMI - it's the one I take away if I want some Elgar on holiday.

Comment

• Roger Webb
            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Apologies for staying off topic!
            The BBC MM recording of Belshazzar was well thought of (if not in the BaL as such), iirc; it was the coupling to the Gloucester Cathedral Tallis Fantasia recently mentioned elsewhere, issued as part of the BBC2 Masterworks Series.
            Willard White, BBC SO and Chorus, Leeds Festival Chorus, Andrew Davis.
            Leeds Town Hall, 18 April 1999.

There is possible confusion with a commercial release of a Proms performance on 10 September 1994:
            Bryn Terfel, BBC SO and Chorus, BBC Singers, Andrew Davis.
            That is coupled with a recording of RVW's Job.
            Thanks Pulcinella I knew you'd know. I've just looked back at the posts from the 2011 thread on the BaL for Bel. (#51) and he says 'the Willard White/Davis will do for me' after the broadcast as if they've mentioned it on the BaL

.........back to the Elgar 1.....forgot how good the Barb/Phil was!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Thanks Pulcinella I knew you'd know. I've just looked back at the posts from the 2011 thread on the BaL for Bel. (#51) and he says 'the Willard White/Davis will do for me' after the broadcast as if they've mentioned it on the BaL

.........back to the Elgar 1.....forgot how good the Barb/Phil was!
              Still the one to beat after 60 years! The live recording from King’s Lynn also!

There are however surprisingly few recordings of the No1 that are not good or very good - as though no conductor or player would give less than their best for such beautiful music!

Has anyone here any view on Barenboim - I have his 1970s Sony LPO recording and also his 2015 Decca with Berlin Staatskapelle - are they good? Yes! Do they stand out and lead the field? - maybe not!

I see the Halle and Elder are releasing new recordings of both the Elgar symphonies - will these be very different to his 2003/4 recordings - No1 was BaL’s 1st choice in 2006!

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

I see the Halle and Elder are releasing new recordings of both the Elgar symphonies - will these be very different to his 2003/4 recordings - No1 was BaL’s 1st choice in 2006!
                I'm not sure why Elder has felt the need to re-record the Elgar symphonies as his earlier one's are fine. I see no need to get the new set.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• silvestrione
                  • Jan 2011

A bit confused by all the Dresden references above, but it was the case that Dresden/Davis, 'live', was chosen in a Elgar 1 BAL once by David Owen Norris.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                    George Hurst and the BBCPhilharmonic on Naxos was highly praised but seems unaccountably to have disappered from the radar, perhaps it is nla?
                    Available (but probably not a candidate for BaL) from Wob (formerly World of Books) for £3.59, and plenty of choice on Amazon starting at £2.30.

Comment

• mikealdren
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      IIRC it was chosen on RR last time (or the time before - time flies), I bought it but much prefer Boult on EMI or live. I also bought the Barenboim after strong reviews but was disappointed and 've never taken to the Solti version.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

The Hurst is fine but does not compete with Boult or Barbirolli IMO - I still think no conductor has surpassed their equally marvellous but very different interpretations.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

Sorry to disappoint oliver sudden et al, but sadly there is no Staatskapelle Dresden version of Elgar 2 at present. The current BAL recommendation is the Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin on Decca, as chosen in 2015 by Richard Morrison.

To clear up any confusion: it is the Dresden/Davis recording of the Symphony No 1 in A Flat which is the current BAL recommendation of that work (a DON selection).

Comment

• oliver sudden
                            • Feb 2024

There was a time when there seemed to be a fashion among Radio 3 announcers to refer to the Staatskapelle Berlin simply as ‘the Staatskapelle’. Makes about as much sense as ‘the Philharmonic’.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                              This is one to really blow the cobwebs off....

It comes in at 48 minutes, faster than Solti. Have to say I find it convincing and these days can't really abide the stodgy, rather indulgent approach of some conductors to this music (Mark Elder, i'm looking at your latest effort....)
                              It has just been delivered so have been enjoying the sprightly opener of 'Cockaigne' (a work I really like). Lucky Mannheim to have a concert hall (Mozartsaal of the Rosengarten) with such fine acoustics - and an orchestra which plays it to the manner born. Given the evidence of the composer's own recordings, I think that he would have rather enjoyed this performance. Symphony next ...

He certainly doesn't hang around but it might be too brisk for some (no faster than Elgar's 1931 LSO recording, though). Nonetheless, I think that it conveys something of the shock of the new which this symphony must have represented when first performed. I much prefer this approach to that of Leonard Slatkin - last (and rather over-indulgent) live performance which I heard, pre-Covid, in Lyon.
                              Last edited by HighlandDougie; 17-05-24, 17:59.

Comment

• seabright
                                • Jan 2013

In cases like this, I'm always interested to see what's on YouTube. I tapped Elgar Symphony No. 1 in the 'search' field and these are what came up ...

Martyn Brabbins / BBCSO - TV Proms transmission 2012
                                Bryden Thomson / LPO - Chandos
                                Andrew Manze / NDR Radiophilharmonie - Televised concert in Neubrandenburg 2022
                                Lionel Bringuier / WDR Symphony Orchestra - Televised concert in Cologne 2023
                                Georg Solti / LPO - Decca CD
                                Sakari Oramo / Finnish Radio Symphony - Radio broadcast of 2009
                                Alexander Lazarev / Netherlands Radio Philharmonic - Radio broadcast of 2009
                                John Pritchard / BBCSO - Undated radio broadcast
                                John Barbirolli / Halle Orchestra - Undated live recording
                                Colin Davis / Staatskapelle Dresden - Live recording 1998
                                Mark Elder /Halle - Live TV transmission 2022
                                Vernon Handley / Melbourne Symphony - Live TV transmission 1994
                                Robert Trevino / Basque National Orchestra - Live TV transmission 2022
                                Chiyong Chung / Korean Symphony Orchestra - Live TV transmission 2017
                                Tadaaki Otaka / BBC National Orchestra of Wales - BIS CD 1995
                                Adrian Boult / LPO - Unidentified but presumably his HMV LP of 1976
                                Antonio Pappano / LSO - Barbican radio broadcast 2012
                                Charles Mackerras / LSO - Argo CD
                                Jeffrey Tate / LSO - EMI Classics
                                And of course Elgar's own recording!

I don't know why they still call it "Building a Library" as it's clear from all the foregoing comments that everyone tuning in already has it in their library, probably several times over. Why not call it "Interpretations on Record" after a certain long defunct Radio 3 programme!

Comment

Working...
                                X