X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    What we heard today has inspired me to spin the s/h Du Pre LP mentioned above. Just hope it is playable OK, doing it now - report later...

Which kinda brings me back to something I've probably aired before. LP, pick side 2 and you get the 2nd sonata, no more, no less, seemples. With CD unless you go through the palaver of programming the machine, you get both sonatas, and probably a filler too
    this is definitely problem with CDs that requires listening discipline to overcome.
    Not that I am doubting your listening discipline of course.......

prolly even worse with streaming.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• zola
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      I enjoyed listening to this BAL but must confess I nodded off through part of the second half

I find I have the Isserlis/Evans disc - don't think it got a look in during the review, did it?

I also find that I can never have made it past the first movement - didn't recognise the very lovely slow movement at all! That's good! A new Brahms discovery!

It was the Isserlis / Hough disc that got an "honourable mention" and an extract played.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Rather poignant that du Pre/ Barenboim was described as " young" as if they would probably have made the winner ten years later - a chance they never got .

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Bah!!!!! Critics!

Comment

• Lento
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
            Interesting, a CD Review winner not presently available as a CD.
            At least it's available on Apple Play and Spotify: don't know re FLAC downloads (not on Presto)

Comment

• rauschwerk
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lento View Post
              (not on Presto)
              It is

Comment

• CallMePaul
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
                Interesting, a CD Review winner not presently available as a CD.
                Can the producers please ban reviewers from considering download only options. I do not have an iPod or similar equipment, have no intention of buying one and do not know how to download! Classsical downloads represent, I gather, a much lower percentage of download sales than classical CDs do of total CD sales.

I was unable to listen to the programme yesterday so may listen (on my PC!) to the iPlayer or podcast. My favourite has been Isserlis/ Hough on Hyperion; I feel that DuPré/ Barenboim pull the music about far too much for my taste - I listened to an old LP of them last week when I heard that this was to be a BAL subject.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  I enjoyed listening to this BAL but must confess I nodded off through part of the second half

I find I have the Isserlis/Evans disc - don't think it got a look in during the review, did it?

I also find that I can never have made it past the first movement - didn't recognise the very lovely slow movement at all! That's good! A new Brahms discovery!

That has always been my relationship with piece. I tend to skip I and start listening with II.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                    Can the producers please ban reviewers from considering download only options. I do not have an iPod or similar equipment, have no intention of buying one and do not know how to download! Classsical downloads represent, I gather, a much lower percentage of download sales than classical CDs do of total CD sales.

I was unable to listen to the programme yesterday so may listen (on my PC!) to the iPlayer or podcast. My favourite has been Isserlis/ Hough on Hyperion; I feel that DuPré/ Barenboim pull the music about far too much for my taste - I listened to an old LP of them last week when I heard that this was to be a BAL subject.
                    I think that downloads should be allowed, but, in the event of a download-only version being that chosen, a CD alternative should be given. I have already forgotten the exact outcome on Saturday. Was there not a 'runner up' which could fulfil this requirement?

As for the 'two Steves' version, I'm afraid I found the excerpt so laid back as to be wishy-washy. One man's meat ...

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                      I have only two very ancient LPs: Starker with Bogin (nla) and Fournier with Backhaus. The latter is rather dull, but the Starker is thrilling!
                      The Starker/Bogin is a firm favourite of mine, and still available as download or CD from Pristine (PACM042). The transfer from the 1954 Nixa LP is excellent!

It seems to have escaped EA's list (no criticism).

Comment

• Lento
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                        It is
                        Thanks; sorry.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Is Alpie away at the moment, or hasn't he had time to mark the "winner", in bold yet?
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            Is Alpie away at the moment, or hasn't he had time to mark the "winner", in bold yet?
                            Miklos Perenyi (cello), Zoltan Kocsis (piano) - Hungaroton HCD12123 (DOWNLOAD ONLY)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Miklos Perenyi (cello), Zoltan Kocsis (piano) - Hungaroton HCD12123 (DOWNLOAD ONLY)
                              That's always a nuisance when that happens!!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

Good to be reminded of this. Another winner from ZK.

Comment

Working...
                                X