BaL 2.05.15 - Scriabin: Prometheus (Poem of Fire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 2.05.15 - Scriabin: Prometheus (Poem of Fire)

9.30am
    Building a Library
    William Mival explores the available recordings of Scriabin's symphonic poem 'Prometheus' (Poem of Fire).

Martha Argerich, Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado
    Martha Argerich, Berliner Philharmoniker, Claudio Abbado (DVD/Blu-ray)
    Peter Jablonski, Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Vladimir Ashkenazy
    Anatol Ugorski, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Boulez
    Alexander Toradze, Kirov Orchestra, Valery Gergiev
    Konstantin Scherbakov, Moscow Symphony Orchestra, Russian State TV and Radio Choir, Igor Golovschin
    Valery Kastelsky, USSR Academic Russian Choir, State Academic Symphony Orchestra of Moscow State Philharmonic, Sveshnikov Valery, Konstantin Ivanov
    Vladimir Ashkenazy, London Philharmonic Orchestra, The Ambrosian Singers, Lorin Maazel
    Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra, Dimitri Mitropoulos
    Alain Lefèvre, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, Kent Nagano
    Viktoria Postnikova, Residentie Orchestra The Hague, Gennady Rozhdestvensky
    Alexei Lubimov, Toronto Symphony Orchestra, Toronto Mendelssohn Choir, Jukka-Pekka Saraste
    Love Derwinger, Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra & Choir, Leif Segerstam
    Sviatoslav Richter, The USSR Symphony Orchestra, Evgeni Svetlanov
    Evelyne Dubourg, City of Bratislava Chorus, Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra Bratislava, Nicholas Uljanov
    Roger Woodward, Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Edo de Waart
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 02-05-15, 10:26.
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Highly interesting - I don't know this piece at all - (not even heard of it, in fact )

I'm looking forward to Scriabin with croissants, next week!

Comment

• umslopogaas
      • Nov 2010

R3 has just announced a forthcoming recital of Scriabin's piano music, which will be the first Scriabin I've heard for a very long time, he does seem to be out of favour. I'm looking forward to the BAL. I have four versions of Prometheus, all on LP, only one of which (Maazel) is on the list. I havent played them for so long I cant recall a note of any of them, so will be interested to hear the presenter's comments on the work. I dont ever remember hearing it on the radio.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

What a shame the marvellous Muti/Philadelphia EMI 3CD set (which I got a few years ago very cheaply on Brilliant) is not sensibly available.. It contains a very good Poem of Fire with Dmitri Alexeev as well as the Symphonies and William Mival's 2008 BaL recommendation for The Poem of Ecstasy.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
          R3 has just announced a forthcoming recital of Scriabin's piano music, which will be the first Scriabin I've heard for a very long time, he does seem to be out of favour. I'm looking forward to the BAL. I have four versions of Prometheus, all on LP, only one of which (Maazel) is on the list. I havent played them for so long I cant recall a note of any of them, so will be interested to hear the presenter's comments on the work. I dont ever remember hearing it on the radio.
          Once heard, never forgotten, I would have thought...

Comment

• umslopogaas
            • Nov 2010

S_A, my memory is quite good at remembering that a piece of music, or a particular performance, is interesting, but very bad at remembering what it actually sounded like, particularly in the case of something like Prometheus, which never seems to get played to remind me. I recall that it was worth hearing, but what it sounded like I really cant remember. Hopefully, the BAL will help fix it more clearly.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              What a shame the marvellous Muti/Philadelphia EMI 3CD set (which I got a few years ago very cheaply on Brilliant) is not sensibly available.. It contains a very good Poem of Fire with Dmitri Alexeev as well as the Symphonies and William Mival's 2008 BaL recommendation for The Poem of Ecstasy.

I hope that the reason it's been withdraw by Brilliant is because Warner have their own plans to reissue it.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                R3 has just announced a forthcoming recital of Scriabin's piano music, which will be the first Scriabin I've heard for a very long time, he does seem to be out of favour.
                The last (and only) time I heard a Scriabin solo piano was a concert over 40 years ago at York University Music Department with Roger Woodward. He also did some Takemitsu and finished off with the Hammerklavier, with the novel idea of using different colour lighting for each composer. I think Scriabin was green. I was only at York for a year doing a post-graduate teaching qualification in modern languages and remember the Music Dept there had a really interesting programme, including Prof Wilf Mellers on the Beatles and an evening with John Cage.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I love Scriabin's music but in the works of his I have, it seems it's just the Ashkenazy, LPO/Maazel recording on Decca. I didn't know that Martha Argerich recorded this work! that must be a must have recording!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    I love Scriabin's music but in the works of his I have, it seems it's just the Ashkenazy, LPO/Maazel recording on Decca. I didn't know that Martha Argerich recorded this work! that must be a must have recording!
                    BBM

Prometheus - The Myth in Music. Sony: SK53978. Buy download online. Martha Argerich (piano), Ingrid Ade-Jesemann, Monika Bair-Ivenz (sopranos), Peter Hall (tenor), Ulrike Krumbiegel, Mathias Schadock (speakers) Berliner Philharmoniker, Berliner Singakademie, Solistenchor Freiburg, Claudio Abbado

Presto has the disc and it is available from ITunes as a download.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
                      BBM

Prometheus - The Myth in Music. Sony: SK53978. Buy download online. Martha Argerich (piano), Ingrid Ade-Jesemann, Monika Bair-Ivenz (sopranos), Peter Hall (tenor), Ulrike Krumbiegel, Mathias Schadock (speakers) Berliner Philharmoniker, Berliner Singakademie, Solistenchor Freiburg, Claudio Abbado

Presto has the disc and it is available from ITunes as a download.

Hiya Black Swan I havn't ordered from presto Classical before. Are they reliable etc. looks like a good buy!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Black Swan

BBM,

I regularly order from Presto and they have been very reliable.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

I have the Argerich and it strikes me as a fine performance but it is not one of my favourite works of Scriabin.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

In view of the relative lack on interest in this thread, perhaps this will be an opportunity to become familiar with a work many of us (and I include myself) do not know.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Sorry to say my two favourites, Muti and Kitaenko. are out of consideration due ti having fallen out of the current catalogue.

Comment

Working...
                              X