X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I didn't like RM's comment that Solti made the 3rd movement sound like a Hungarian Dance with elephants. Was he poking fun at Solti's nationality, or was it an another example of the reviewer trying to be clever.

Re metronome markings:
    Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Exactly - Solti follows Elgar's tempo (and metronome) markings scrupulously - and hears that this is a Symphonic Sonata Allegro, revealing a real swagger to the "nobility" - this is a Symphony with fire in its belly! But it's not aggressive (as can be the case with this conductor) - instead (just as the score makes clear) this energy puts into relief the gentler, more reflective Second Group Music - Solti's conducting of the first bar has the last in its sights.
    This one again. The point is - Elgar made up his own mind in performance and frequently ignored his own tempo markings. So if he can do so, the rest of us can. How some might argue that he had the right to do this because it was his music. Does that mean the rest of us must be placed mindlessly in a straightjacket? I think not, and it begs the question of the general validity of this particular obsession.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I find the Solti performances fascinating because he did try and go back to Elgar's original recordings but I do not regard that as making them more valid that other interpretations for the reasons EA says .

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        This one again. The point is - Elgar made up his own mind in performance and frequently ignored his own tempo markings. So if he can do so, the rest of us can. How some might argue that he had the right to do this because it was his music. Does that mean the rest of us must be placed mindlessly in a straightjacket? I think not, and it begs the question of the general validity of this particular obsession.
        This one again. The point is that when any interpreter can come up with a work as fine as this Symphony, then they can start buggering around with the score. Those who are particularly obsessed with equating "performing the score" with being "placed mindlessly in a straitjacket" (even the ones who spell that garment correctly) should stick to 50 Shades of Grey and allow the rest of us to listen to Elgar, not to his "interpreters".
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pianoman
          • Jan 2013

Well I've had the Barenboim for some time and whilst I do admire aspects of it, there's no way it will replace Solti or Handley for me personally. I have the Hi-res download and even find the much-vaunted sound quality a tad unconvincing. So I quite enjoyed the survey, but it's another case of back to old favourites...

Comment

• Lordgeous
            • Dec 2012

Solti CD duly ordered!

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

This one again. The point is that when any interpreter can come up with a work as fine as this Symphony, then they can start buggering around with the score. Those who are particularly obsessed with equating "performing the score" with being "placed mindlessly in a straitjacket" (even the ones who spell that garment correctly) should stick to 50 Shades of Grey and allow the rest of us to listen to Elgar, not to his "interpreters".
              Wow! (But which side of the bed...? )

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Perhaps as I enjoy listening to a range of interpretations of Elgar 2, I qualify for a wardrobe of tailored straitjackets -
                Ones with a little more room to breathe for the Barbirolli end of the spectrum and tighter ones at the Solti end!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                  Wow! (But which side of the bed...? )
                  Evidently the wrong one this morning! (Not sure where the 50 Shades reference came from, nor to what it is relevant!)
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Evidently the wrong one this morning! (Not sure where the 50 Shades reference came from, nor to what it is relevant!)
                    With reference to another thread, you can always blame your keyboard!

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

(Not sure where the 50 Shades reference came from... )
                      ... o, I assumed you were referring to Alpie's use of "straitjacket".

Incidentally, the Alpie who uses words like "mindless", "straitjacket", "obsessional" when referring to those who are interested in what can be learnt from Historically Informed Practice is surely not the same Alpie who uses words like "sneering" and "supercilious" when referring to critics with whom he disagrees?

Last edited by vinteuil; 31-03-15, 17:01.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

My point here was that Elgar himself was "buggering around with the score" every bit as much as other interpreters. (I do take your point about my shocking spelling though. )

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          Incidentally, the Alpie who uses words like "mindless", "straitjacket", "obsessional" when referring to those who are interested in what can be learnt from Historically Informed Practice is surely not the same Alpie who uses words like "sneering" and "supercilious" when referring to critics with whom he disagrees?

I did agree with most of what this critic said. However, I did not like his way of expressing his views on the Sinopoli recording.

Comment

• verismissimo
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... o, I assumed you were referring to Alpie's use of "straitjacket".

Man is not truly one, but truly two, vints.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                              Man is not truly one, but truly two, vints.
                              You've been reading too much Robert Louis Stephenson.

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Amazing, the LPO's track record in this work and No 1...
                                There was a time in the 1970s when the LPO seemed to be recording Elgar 1 or 2 every other week!
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X