X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
    Boulez thread? I've not found this....could you give me a reference?
    Sorry, silvestrione - I meant this one:

(RB's Hockney quote is at the bottom of page 3 of that thread)

Comment

• silvestrione
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
      Sorry, silvestrione - I meant this one:

(RB's Hockney quote is at the bottom of page 3 of that thread)
      Ah! Under Here and Now! I was baffled. Thanks

(Though unfortunately it's one of the most bad-tempered threads I've come across on here)
      Last edited by silvestrione; 25-03-15, 17:13.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I'm eager to hear tomorrow's BAL on Elgar 2 after listening to several recordings during the week. Instinct usually propels my preference for the Music & Arts 2 CD set, 1964; Boston SO/Barbirolli, which also includes a vivid RVW6. However, I gather the set was manufactured in Japan by Denon in 1987 is nla. Forewarned, I decided to transfer the set to CD-R for back-up and the stereo recording sounds fine using a Pioneer recorder; the 1964 'live' recording has that 'little something extra' which makes it so special for me.

Among other recordings, I also warm to the DG twofer, 1990, Philharmonia/Sinopoli. This also has illuminating notes from Wm Mann on Sym 2 and its multiple nuances for the composer;

"...The evidence (and it touches on almost every theme) suggests that Elgar's
        Second Symphony, so far from representing Shelley's poem, contains the pattern
        of a personal, private melancholy, partly occasioned by worsening Anglo-Germanic relationship in politics, and partly by pessimism within himself. Elgar had wanted it to be his personal Eroica, but the Zeitgeist within him found another face for the symphony.

The first movement is irresistibly propelled by a youthful ardour, only momentarily affected by mishap, in sum perhaps an autobiographical reminiscence of a time when "the Spirit of Delight" came, not rarely, but again and again. The Larghetto in C minor recalls losses and misfortunes, turning back to the E flat major for the happy memories which loss cannot dispel. The Rondo contrasts the transitory melee with the nightmare vision of burial alive. The Finale, whose opening rhythm had obsessed Elgar in Nov 1903 on holiday in Italy, suggests a rolling river which washes troubles away, never stopping yet healing all wounds." ..." The musical conflict becomes more intense than ever, despite the return appearances of the "river" theme which gradually allay the doubts and fears into benign resignation, not free from regret or even grievous heartache, but ultimately calm within. There is a moment's pang, terrible as a stab in the vitals, just before the quiet end."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I can't wait.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

And they're off!!!

Love that Sinopoli, even if RM doesn't!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

He's not looking to make friends, is he? (Why change the habits of a lifetime, I suppose!) He's pi ... browned me off with his comments about Solti and Slatkin, and others with what he says about Sinopoli and Barbirolli !
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                He's not looking to make friends, is he? (Why change the habits of a lifetime, I suppose!) He's pi ... browned me off with his comments about Solti and Slatkin, and others with what he says about Sinopoli and Barbirolli !
                He just dissed Sinopoli again, calling Haitink 'a more distinguished conductor'. What a melt, he needs a slap.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  He just dissed Sinopoli again, calling Haitink 'a more distinguished conductor'. What a melt, he needs a slap.
                  - he's off again! Did you nick his parking space or something, BeefO?

Oh, so must I - he's waffling on about Solti, now!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    - he'f off again! Did you nick his parking space ore something, BeefO?

Oh, so must I - he's waffling on about Solti, now!

And again on Sinopoli!!! I've just got enough time to nip over there and let his tyres down

Edit: He's going all gooey over Mackerras and his portamenties (mind you, that excerpt of Mackerras' did sound rather good).

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

And again on Sinopoli!!! I've just got enough time to nip over there and let his tyres down

Edit: He's going all gooey over Mackerras and his portamenties (mind you, that excerpt of Mackerras' did sound rather good).
                      Well he just ruled out Mackerras so I'm well naffed off.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                        Well he just ruled out Mackerras so I'm well naffed off.

Barenboim is good too. Looks like he'll get the nod.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Yay! Barenboim gets the nod. My go-to Elgar 2 since it appeared, despite some rather idiosyncratic tempi in the first movement. Who cares, with that radiant ending.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            Yay! Barenboim gets the nod. My go-to Elgar 2 since it appeared, despite some rather idiosyncratic tempi in the first movement. Who cares, with that radiant ending.
                            I must say, it sounded very good indeed. I'll stick with my Sinopoli, Handley and two or three others that are lying around. Not big on the work anyway.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I found this a most convincing BaL - and likely to be an expensive one.

Comment

• tigajen

I have the HIckox,which I am very happy with.Did not get a mention

Comment

Working...
                                X