Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

I wonder if there was a rule that only the violinists were allowed to shave?

Only a few of the other players seem to have broken it. Splendid collection of moustaches!

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

I have been asked by one or two people if they may join the Portamento Restoration Society. Sorry to disappoint, but speaking as founding president and hon secretary, I fear the answer is no. The allocation for general membership is already full and there's a lengthy waiting list. NB: Membership is currently restricted to one.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
        I have been asked by one or two people if they may join the Portamento Restoration Society. Sorry to disappoint, but speaking as founding president and hon secretary, I fear the answer is no. The allocation for general membership is already full and there's a lengthy waiting list. NB: Membership is currently restricted to one.
        Are you sure you would want to join a club with Maestro Norrington in it? His Mahler performances carefully observe the variously marked portamenti in Mahler's scores.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
          ... well this is a shame. I am a keen proponent of the Restoration of the Portamento* - where it is appropriate; and of Removal of the Portamento - where it is purely an easy sentimental splurge. Equally I am a keen proponent of the Restoration of Vibrato - in the occasional specific places where it adds additional colour; and of the Removal of Vibrato - where it is a continuous smearing of all notes, concealing the intricacies and starkness of a composer's intentions and acting as a cover-up to conceal the sins of inadequate string players and to provide cheap schmaltz.

* also, of course, a keen proponent of the Restoration of the Portamento at Euston Station

Last edited by vinteuil; 01-04-15, 13:49.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            none of the Barenboim section-by-section feel.
            Err, not sure exactly what is meant by "section-by-section" feel. Do you mean that it comes across as episodic? While Danny Boy does take certain liberties with the, err, "ebb and flow", of the music, I don't find that he ever loses sight of the overall architecture of the work. It might be a slightly meandering path rather than a straight road to get there but he knows where he's going.

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Are you sure you would want to join a club with Maestro Norrington in it? His Mahler performances carefully observe the variously marked portamenti in Mahler's scores.
              Mo Norrington's application to join was turned down by the committee. What can I say?

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                Err, not sure exactly what is meant by "section-by-section" feel. Do you mean that it comes across as episodic? While Danny Boy does take certain liberties with the, err, "ebb and flow", of the music, I don't find that he ever loses sight of the overall architecture of the work. It might be a slightly meandering path rather than a straight road to get there but he knows where he's going.
                Yes, episodic is my perception. The performance feels like a collage of often good ideas about how the music should go rather than a coherent whole.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  Yes, episodic is my perception. The performance feels like a collage of often good ideas about how the music should go rather than a coherent whole.
                  Alison, if you don't already have it, treat yourself to the LPO/Solti recording. Been listening to this after a long spell away from it and it has come up sounding more moving and wonderful than ever. The amount of detail the Decca engineers realise from the score is astonishing. Recorded an unbelievable 40 years ago, hearing it twice this week via my Cambridge Azur amp has been a revelation.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Alison, if you don't already have it, treat yourself to the LPO/Solti recording. Been listening to this after a long spell away from it and it has come up sounding more moving and wonderful than ever. The amount of detail the Decca engineers realise from the score is astonishing. Recorded an unbelievable 40 years ago, hearing it twice this week via my Cambridge Azur amp has been a revelation.
                    Just be careful if buying the Solti second hand. The 1992 pressing was by PDO during their 'bronzing period. Later re-issued are fine.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 01-04-15, 22:54.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Just be careful if buying the Solti second hand. The 1992 pressing was bt PDO during their 'bronzing period. Later re-issued are fine.
                      My own CD is from 1989 and sounds just fine.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Bryn;477964]1914 eh? So how would any string player best project their instrument's output to the primitive recording devices of the time?

Are you suggesting the acoustic recording horn is responsible for the supposed increase in string vibrato following the 1908 premiere of Elgar 1? I'm certain that R.N. would pick up on that one if he were to dip into this forum.

What have I started?

Comment

• akiralx
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          I had a dream last night that explained why Sir Roger hasn't recorded Elgar 2, and I can't remember why...
                          His recording of RVW 2 however is actually very fine...

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

I have been listening to the Mackerras Argo recordings from the early 1990s which arrived over the weekend . I like them both a great deal perhaps the First Symphony recording more than that of the Second . The A Flat has a wonderful lightness of touch whilst not underplaying the emotion . The brilliance of Elgar's orchestration really comes out . The Second is also very fine if the playing does not quite have the vim of the LSO in the A Flat but again as with the BAL I felt Mackerras's best bits - especially in the Larghetto had been done even better by Barbirolli .

Comment

• Radio64
                              • Jan 2014

Stuck in endless traffic jams this morning but luckily had this podcast to hand, and learned so much about this work by my conterraneo...although I didn't make it to the end!
                              "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                I have been listening to the Mackerras Argo recordings from the early 1990s which arrived over the weekend . I like them both a great deal perhaps the First Symphony recording more than that of the Second . The A Flat has a wonderful lightness of touch whilst not underplaying the emotion . The brilliance of Elgar's orchestration really comes out . The Second is also very fine if the playing does not quite have the vim of the LSO in the A Flat but again as with the BAL I felt Mackerras's best bits - especially in the Larghetto had been done even better by Barbirolli .

Comment

Working...
                                X