Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

The reviewer said that the Gardiner is the only one to use period instruments, but in fact the Hanover Band and Roy Goodman also did an HIP set of the symphonies on RCA.

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      The reviewer said that the Gardiner is the only one to use period instruments, but in fact the Hanover Band and Roy Goodman also did an HIP set of the symphonies on RCA.
      That's true. I remember that it was quite well-lauded in the 1990s, and quite popular - always popping up in HMV sales!

I never partook; did I miss something good? (man )

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Well this was a really impressive survey, covering a lot of ground in what will never be enough time...

Sympathies with slarty, but surely it makes sense to give more time to newer cycles on each revisit to a familiar work?
        I'm afraid the excerpts from Karajan, Bernstein et al only confirmed my own prejudices against older, slower, heavier performances. I even find Szell almost unlistenable now, and as I said in January find Sawallisch almost Brucknerian in its weight and grandeur!
        I was surprised how many of the excerpts sounded disappointing, and was amused to find my ears pricking up at.... Nezet-Seguin - which was the performance I least enjoyed from his cycle! Heavens, do I have to have yet another go at it now? All is truly relative...

But the much-praised winner JEG still sounded flat and inexpressive to me, even in this comparative context. I keep returning to the lovely green & white Archiv box, but never really get on with it... I feel that Dausgaard does everything JEG does but does it better, in better sound - AND it's a real competitor as a comprehensive symphonic survey.

I was thrilled with Abbado's OM performance earlier this year, but today the finale did indeed sound... plodding? Well, very steady... Again, it's simply because of my recent fortnight in the company of Ticciati and Nezet-S. All that dash, agility, volatility and rhythmical freedom! The Abbado will never sound the same again...

Glad to hear the oft-overlooked Harnoncourt getting some acclaim, the whole COE cycle is very, very good - AND you have the Berlin Phil supplement with the 1851 4th.

Classical performances are like sharks; if they're not constantly moving forward, they die...
        ​ You can still enjoy them in the museum though...

I was a bit uncomfortable with RW's pronunciation of Nezet-Seguin, ("Say-Gwan") so I looked around and found this
        All news about the conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin are listed on this page. Consult them to learn more about his achievements.

So it's "Say-GUN". Good to get that cleared up... (I'd started with a nasal say-gan, then moved to say-geen...)...
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 29-11-14, 23:11.

Comment

• JFLL
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          I was a bit uncomfortable with RW's pronunciation of Nezet-Seguin, ("Say-Gwan") so I looked around and found this
          All news about the conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin are listed on this page. Consult them to learn more about his achievements.

So it's "Say-GUN". Good to get that cleared up... (I'd started with a nasal say-gan, then moved to say-geen...)...
          Surely it can't be "Say-GUN", as we pronounce say and gun? This looks to me like Berlitzese, or a version by a linguistically unsophisticated English-speaker making a shot at the French sound he heard. Phonetically, isn't the ending as in Gauguin, a nasalized open e? (Unfortunately I can't do the correct phonetic symbol with the fonts I have -- a Greek epsilon with a tilde)?

Sorry, I've strayed into Pedants' Paradise, and don't at all want to detract from your very interesting (as always) comments on the music.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Karajan and Haitink were the first sets I got, later I got the Gardiner.

Four's my favourite anyway, and It's Furtwangler and Karajan, for me.

Interesting Bal, but increasingly it shows that you can almost divide it into two self-contained programmes, one on well-upholstered 'traditional' performances and the other on HIPP/later renditions.
            Certainly agree with you on Furtwangler - which Karajan - I like the EMI 1955 recording. Klemperer's 4th is good- was done earlier than 1 2 & 3 with the Philharmonia on good form!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Google on "Yannick-Nezet Saywhat? - youtube" for the truth from the maestro's mouth...
              (Link to video was "unavailable" as usual...) What a youthful charmer Yannick seems!

So JFLL you were right! As was my initial guess... (i.e, as per Gauguin).
              But I realise now that the journalist, David Patrick Stearns, would be saying "gun" with an American accent - so for him it would be, well, close enough...
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 30-11-14, 02:24.

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                Surely it can't be "Say-GUN", as we pronounce say and gun? This looks to me like Berlitzese, or a version by a linguistically unsophisticated English-speaker making a shot at the French sound he heard. Phonetically, isn't the ending as in Gauguin, a nasalized open e? (Unfortunately I can't do the correct phonetic symbol with the fonts I have -- a Greek epsilon with a tilde)?

Sorry, I've strayed into Pedants' Paradise, and don't at all want to detract from your very interesting (as always) comments on the music.
                I would agree with you over the pronunciation...the final 'n' in GUN shouldn't be heard.

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                  That's true. I remember that it was quite well-lauded in the 1990s, and quite popular - always popping up in HMV sales!

I never partook; did I miss something good? (man )
                  Yes, it's a good set...I got hold of it a little while ago. I also have the original Gardiner set, but regret not waiting before it was packaged into a budget box with other Schumann works from Gardiner.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Certainly agree with you on Furtwangler - which Karajan - I like the EMI 1955 recording. Klemperer's 4th is good- was done earlier than 1 2 & 3 with the Philharmonia on good form!
                    Yes, the 1955 Karajan Schumann on EMI, but the Furtwangler is best!

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Classical performances are like sharks; if they're not constantly moving forward, they die...[/I]​ You can still enjoy them in the museum though...
                      It could be argued that HIPP performances are moving backwards - I have the JEG set but less than thrilled by it - guess its back to the museum shelves for
                      Barenboim
                      Bernstein x3
                      Celibidache
                      Dohnanyi
                      Haitink
                      Inbal
                      Janowski
                      Karajan
                      Klemperer
                      Konwitschny
                      Kubelik x2
                      Levine
                      Marriner
                      Masur x2
                      Mehta
                      Muti
                      Paray
                      Saccani
                      Sawallisch x2
                      Schuricht
                      Sinopoli x2
                      Solti
                      Szell
                      Thielemann
                      Vonk
                      Wit

and just to get the right sound I'll play them through my 80s amp and 70s speakers!

Comment

• JFLL
                        • Jan 2011

Google on "Yannick-Nezet Saywhat? - youtube" for the truth from the maestro's mouth...
                        (Link to video was "unavailable" as usual...) What a youthful charmer Yannick seems!.
                        Yes, isn't he? Maybe we should just called him 'Yankee' after what he said!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

We all have different ears . I find much HIPPite Schumann dull . Dausgaard is a notable exception.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                            My money's already on Gardiner
                            Tipster of the day (I think Bbm was getting round to putting on a similar wager...)

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                            Wasn't the opening Klemperer excerpt truly dreadful? No wonder critics used to slag off this symphony!
                            I'm afraid the excerpts from Karajan, Bernstein et al only confirmed my own prejudices against older, slower, heavier performances.

I was surprised how many of the excerpts sounded disappointing
                            Yes me too - the Kubelik too... But one must beware the deceptive tendency of short extracts, of which I'm becoming more keenly conscious as the years go by (see further below)....

Well this was a really impressive survey, covering a lot of ground in what will never be enough time...
                            Agreed. Most enjoyable. And interesting that that despite the newcomers, RW's view has moved on from his opinion (quoted earlier, from classical-music.com, the online offshoot of BBCMM, that:

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            "Sawallisch’s searching, far-seeing 1972 recording, gloriously executed by the Dresden Staatskapelle, still leads the field, despite memorable recent offerings from the likes of Gardiner, Sinopoli and Thielemann. Richard Wigmore"
                            such that he now places one of those 'runners up' above the Sawallisch.

was amused to find my ears pricking up at.... Nezet-Seguin - which was the performance I least enjoyed from his cycle!
                            Same here! But again - I've come to beware of the superficial attractions of short clips from these swifter, 'modern' recordings. The same happened with clips from the P. Jarvi Beethoven cycles - I was enthused from 2 minute extracts on CD Review, but then very disappointed having invested hastily and listened to the whole thing. Same with the YN-S I suspect. Such performances can ofter flatter to deceive when brief extracts are pitted against more balanced performances, I think.

I was a bit uncomfortable with RW's pronunciation of Nezet-Seguin, ("Say-Gwan")
                            So was I !!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

I agree, an enjoyable BaL.

However I find RW's voice problematic - it is almost as boring as Clement Freud's, such that by the time the clip was played, I'd forgotten who it was by.

But that's me.

Innit.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                I agree, an enjoyable BaL.

However I find RW's voice problematic - it is almost as boring as Clement Freud's, such that by the time the clip was played, I'd forgotten who it was by.

But that's me.

Innit.

Got yer Schumann Minced Morsels muddled up Ammy?

I find that with certain other reviewers, but find RW's gravelly introductions fine, or at least I did earlier.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X