X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Such a pity that Sir Charles Mackerras recorded so little Schumann commercially. His hurriedly prepared 1999 EIF survey of the Symphonies and Concertos with the SCO was (and via the cassette recordings I managed to make of the Radio 3 FM broadcasts, remain) a real joy. He did not mess about re. the 4th, either. Both the original and revised versions were included.
    It's a wonderful series and a real shame that CM never recorded a commercial Schumann cycle. As well as both versions of 4 it's good to have the Overture, Scherzo and Finale and all the concertos in the EIF series - a complete delight, as was the Konzertstück at the Proms.

There was a terrific Mackerras 'Rhenish' with the Philharmonia in 2008 at the RFH (send me a private message if you'd like to hear it )

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Thank heavens for the Bernstein /VPO Rhenish . This has always been the symphony of Schumann's which I have found it difficult to love and this recording just brings it entirely alive and without a trace of religiosity in the Cologne Cathedral movement .

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Each to her own, Barbs...

I keep going back to Nezet-Seguin/COE (rather than the more overtly impressive Ticciati)... perhaps he plays hard to get, but once you fall in love it's head-over-heels...
        (true of the whole cycle, the 4th just a bit less intensely, but the finale more than makes up for it...)

What is it about N-Z? Well, he finds the intimacy, the humour, above all the anima in himself and in the music...
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 20-03-15, 02:00.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Indeed JLW but if we all liked the same performances this place would be a bore !

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

There’s a pretty in depth look through the recorded history of this work in this months Gramophone which gives a very strong recommendation for the Holliger / WDR SO recording.

Very tempting looking box set too, but I’ll try on Apple Music before diving in at the current price above £30.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Yes excellent Richard Whitehouse Collection piece, with intriguing choices:

The Live Choice: Berlin Phil/Szell (Testament)
              The Classic Choice: BRSO/Kubelik
              The Chamber Choice: Swedish CO/Dausgaard

He was too dismissive of Goodman, though fairly positive about JEG......I know all of the choices well, and recommend any of them in their different ways...
              Holliger is good too - if surprising as an "ultimate choice"....
              a dark horse, I'm pleased to have the motivation to try it again....
              (Be cautious about the boxset though - I recall finding some of the symphonies a bit "safe", too MOR.....nice to have, but not the most exciting on record...)

One big caveat though - COE/Nézet-Séguin was witheringly dismissed.... "brash extroversion".."overbearing".?!.. How did he arrive at such a misjudgement?.... It sounds wonderful here....
              Given Threasher's adoration of it in G. just a few years ago this was extraordinary....

If I had to choose one, it probably would be YNS or Harnoncourt, but there are so many good ones....
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 14-08-19, 21:32.

Comment

• Goon525
                • Feb 2014

I was slightly surprised to see Richard Whitehouse chosen for this repertoire. In G, he normally reviews contemporary music, I can’t recall him reviewing anything as ancient as Schumann. Which is in no way to denigrate his capability so to do. But his final choice does seems a little eccentric, and like Jayne I think rather more of the YN-S than he did. The JEG cycle still sounds good, but I do think the much revered Sawallisch now really sounds its age (it was never great recording quality, and I’ve owned it on both CD and LP).

Comment

Working...
                X