Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Amazon have just fulfilled my order for the new Rossini William Tell/Pappano 3 disc set on EMI for the grand sum of £5.93.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
      My belief is that Rubinstein didn't record the Etudes because he didn't play them.
      There are a few recordings, but not a complete set. Pianorak states that he only recorded 7 of the Opus 10 and 25 sets, which seems to fit with my observations. I did find some on Spotify and there might just be some on Napster. I suppose that's where one of those very old catalogues of 78s etc. would be of use, but for the moment I think we can assume that Pianorak knows better than the rest of us.

YouTube has some (maybe only one - but several all the same - including one with a Chinese intro) - see for example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90Mz4hvAzI - Op 25 no 1.

Comment

• Don Petter

I have only two Etude recordings by him - different performances of No.17 (Op.25/5) from live recitals, both on Ermitage (now Aura, though I'm not sure if they have both been reissued on that label). So that may be one of the few he did play.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          . . . Pianorak states that he only recorded 7 of the Opus 10 and 25 sets. . .
          Dave – I should have added the source: “A Rubinstein Discography” Compiled and Edited by Donald Manildi (Curator, International Piano Archives, University of Maryland). This Discography is published in Harvey Sachs's biography “Arthur Rubinstein”, originally published in 1995 by Grove Press, New York.

Op. 10 - nos. 4, 5, 6, 8 and 9
          op. 25 - nos. 1 and 5
          Trois Nouvelles Etudes

Op. 10/3 in E (Ampico 57775H - Reproducing Piano Roll probably recorded 1919.)

HTH
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Stunsworth
            • Nov 2010

At 99p these Rachmaninov preludes perhaps count as a bargain...

A wide range of Gardening, home accessories, wildlife and bird care products, outdoor leisure and games.
            Steve

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

Thanks Steve - Worth having for the Etudes-Tableaux alone - but do watch Petkova's Video which includes an excerpt from Schumann's Dichterliebe sung in Dutch.
              Last edited by Pianorak; 13-07-11, 13:45.
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                Thanks Steve - Worth having for the Etudes-Tableaux alone.
                Definitely for 99p - I bought the set a few weeks ago - may have paid £1.99 - from the same source.

Having said that, not sure that I like the pieces, but heck - 99p!

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  . . . not sure that I like the pieces, but heck - 99p!
                  I'm shocked! They are among my favourite Rachmaninov pieces. Got them with Vladimir Ovchinnikov who is doing them full justice.

Comment

• Hitch
                    • Nov 2010

Not so long ago, Brahms's Clarinet Quintet bowled me over so violently that I was left with a yearning to explore his music, hence my purchase of his complete works (60 CDs) for £26 inc. postage. Amazon will be the end of me.

Edit: That's 43p per disc. Any takers?
                    Last edited by Hitch; 14-07-11, 19:53.

Comment

• Curalach

At 99p I found the Rachmaninov discs impossible to resist!
                      This is a wonderful thread.

Comment

• ostuni
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                        At 99p I found the Rachmaninov discs impossible to resist!
                        Me too! Thanks for the tip-off, Steve.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

I'll have some of that as they say!

Comment

• Stunsworth
                            • Nov 2010

If you're looking for some Wagner this 33 'CD' download from Amazon seems good value for £23...

Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                              If you're looking for some Wagner this 33 'CD' download from Amazon seems good value for £23...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Great...47283&sr=301-3
                              Looks good, and on this occasion a very significant saving over the CDs. Did you get it? If so, how long did it take to download? Does anyone know?

Comment

• Stunsworth
                                • Nov 2010

No I don't have it, I happened to stumble on it by chance.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X