X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    Gerard Schwarz Collection [Royal Liverpool Philharmonic; New York Chamber Symphony; Gerard Schwarz] 30cd £20.51

A few warhorses eg another Brahms symphony cycle, but it is a good catholic mix (especially the Americana) that has attracted me.
    Soften the blow - Amazon has a one day promotion today - £10 off if you spend £50:

(Sorry - for some reason the link is not working but should be easy to find)
    Thanks for flagging that one up Hafers.

Some interesting repertoire, too good a bargain tp resist on a cold January day !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Gerard Schwarz Collection [Royal Liverpool Philharmonic; New York Chamber Symphony; Gerard Schwarz] 30cd £20.51

I looked at this but didn't want to spend £50 to get the £10 off. I should have gone for the box though, as now it's actually "cheaper" at £19.99 - but the downside is that either there'll be postage to pay, or something else has to be added in to the order!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

You could find something cheap (or useful - e.g office staples?) using this :
        Amazon filler item finder - Find's Amazon filler or add-on items to qualify for free delivery

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

In the end I found this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to store SDHC cards which is a product I didn't know existed, but which could prove useful round here. I probably don't want too many of these though, so next time I need a filler ....

Thanks for your website suggestion. It doesn't always turn up possible items correctly - but these rulers might be OK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000J639NK Some Add On items might not work - I've never been quite sure whether the items can only be provided at the lower price if the "original" order is itself £20 or more.

I was offered yet another bite at the Prime service to get "free" delivery, but presumably then I'd have to pay one month's Prime subscription at least. It seemed easier to look for something I might actually want and use.

Comment

• hafod
            • Nov 2010

Shostakovich & Kondrashin: Complete Symphonies - 320kbps MP3 - £8.49 (Shame it's MP3 but at the price…..)

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Shostakovich & Kondrashin: Complete Symphonies - 320kbps MP3 - £8.49 (Shame it's MP3 but at the price…..)
              https://www.7digital.com/artist/kiri...ete-symphonies
              Thanks Hafod - I've been wanting the Kondrashin Shost but the CDs are becoming costly. Duly downloaded and currently burning discs in my characteristically Luddite fashion!

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Thanks Hafod - I've been wanting the Kondrashin Shost but the CDs are becoming costly. Duly downloaded and currently burning discs in my characteristically Luddite fashion!
                I may not be far behind you Cloughie. I always burn to CD too.
                Great spot as Hafers.

( actually, I'm not sure that downloading music and burning to CD actually counts as Luddite......)
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Also snapped up Shostakovich & Kondrashin. Thanks, Hafod. Worth noting that you also get "extras": Violin Concerto 2 with Oistrakh, two Cantatas and Symphonic Poem, Op. 131 "October". Details on MusicWeb. I'm not burning to disc but have put each work into its own folder for improved access.

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

It's a steal!
                    Sibelius: Great Performances 11cds for £11.99.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

It's a steal!
                      Sibelius: Great Performances 11cds for £11.99.
                      https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YG7W8EO/
                      It would be a shame if the Amazon reviewer is correct about the poor transfers of the Collins recordings.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        It would be a shame if the Amazon reviewer is correct about the poor transfers of the Collins recordings.
                        I've done a straight A/B comparison between selected movements of the Collins symphonies in the box and a Universal Japan set from 2007. The Japanese transfers are certainly kinder on the ear and are more faithful to the original in that there is still some hiss - no digital sound reduction there. On past experience, I'd guess that these are the transfers used by Eloquence. The new transfers are less smooth but make the recordings sound more immediate. The first symphony is, as implied by the Amazon reviewer, probably not a good place to start (there are some odd noises - a bit distracting at the start of the final movement, for example). Overall, based on my dipping into different symphonies, the sound is a bit more congested and strident at times but not unacceptably so - and there are gains, too, like warmth of sound and, as I've said, more immediacy. Great performances in whichever mastering. At the price, the box is a steal, full of excellent performances (Alexander Gibson's LSO fifth, Monteux in the second, Hans Rosbaud in Berlin, Ruggiero Ricci in the VC, Kirsten Flagstad in the songs etc etc).

Comment

• Parry1912
                          • Nov 2010

In his review of the box in Gramophone, Rob Cowan said: "these fresh new transfers certainly do it (Collins's cycle) justice."
                          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• hafod
                            • Nov 2010

Amazon Italy seems to be having some sort of 'clearance'. For example:

Riccardo Muti - The Complete Rca & Sony Classical Album Coll [28 CD] €47.90

Rostropovich Complete Recordings (dg) 37cd €47.90

Karajan Sacred & Choral Recordings 29cd €33.90

Richard Stoltzman - The Complete Album Collection [40 CD] €38.90

Alfred Brendel - Complete Philips Recordings 114cd €109.90

Rudolf Serkin - The Complete Columbia Album Collection 75cd €115.90

The Art Of Semyon Bychkov 21cd €37.90

This looks like the full list.

Although not on the list, the following is a steal:
                            Beethoven Sinfonien & Ouvertüren Classica, Jos Van Immerseel Anima Eterna Brugge 6cd €5.95

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

I've moved #7183 here from the "Selling LPs" Thread

The van Immerseel Beethoven cycle is a real bargain - and even cheaper than when I bought it for about £17 a few years back!

To my chagrin, now that I've got my Laptop back, the Sibelius Box (which I've had my eye on for some time) has gone back to "reasonable" prices from the bargain of #7179
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

... from hafod's marvellous Italian list at #7183, the Strauss opera box at a good price -

Comment

Working...
                                X