X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Hard not to click on that one, ts. Curious to see how soon they notice the error and if they honour the orders.
    Hope you get one, and it makes up a bit for Wedneday.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

The fact that this item is ordered direct from amazon.co.uk, rather than from a marketplace supplier, and that at least in my case is still shown as "Not yet dispatched" some 10 hours later, does not bode well, I feel. Still, fingers crossed.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

I've just ordered one to be delivered to my address in France, and have just received an e-mail confirming purchase. Thank you very much TS, let's hope we all succeed - not had such a bargain since The Real Chopin set!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Well spotted, ts.
          Just ordered here too; not many duplications (only those conducted by Solti, and the Norman/Masur songs).
          Here's hoping we're all successful in getting our orders honoured.
          Snap, did you buy the Solti box when it was at a good price a year or two back?

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Hope you get one, and it makes up a bit for Wedneday.
            I could almost forgive you. Luckily, other results more or less went our way.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              I've just ordered one to be delivered to my address in France, and have just received an e-mail confirming purchase. Thank you very much TS, let's hope we all succeed - not had such a bargain since The Real Chopin set!
              Does the e-mail confirm the purchase or simply acknowledge you initiation of the order? The small print in my acknowledgement reads "This e-mail is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order. Your contract to purchase these items is not complete until we send you an e-mail notifying you that the items have been dispatched".

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

ordered lat night - cheers ts

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Thing is, if they do arrive I'll have to listen to them all!

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    ordered lat night - cheers ts
                    See, I knew I shouldn't have told you all.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

My thanks, too, teamsaint. Fingers crossed as I struck lucky with the half price Complete Mozart some months ago.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        Thing is, if they do arrive I'll have to listen to them all!
                        That's why I hesitated for a few minutes before buying!

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Snap, did you buy the Solti box when it was at a good price a year or two back?
                        Can't remember what I paid or when, only that it too has not been listened to in its entirety.

All these things one imagines one can do in retirement, eh?

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          . . . All these things one imagines one can do in retirement, eh?
                          Yep - that's what I thought - except it never occurred to me I would continue buying CDs, DVDs, books etc., all to be listened to, watched, read - hmm, which retirement would that be?
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Conchis
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2014

I've got a few duplicates in that set: all the Soltis, the Keilberth Arabella and the Dorati Helene (the only commercial recording, I think) and the Sawallisch Intermezzo (ditto?) but went for it, anyway, because certain other items are only available in the box and....it was too good a bargain to resist!

Strauss' decline as an operatic composer began after Die Frau Ohne Schatten (his greatest operatic work, imo) but he got his mojo back temporarily with Arabella and the late works do include some interesting stuff amongst all the stodge.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                              some interesting stuff amongst all the stodge.
                              Good title for my autobiography ...

Funnily enough I had just been looking at getting the Solti Elektra which I don't have as a recording and last listened to nearly 50 years ago on LPs borrowed from Croydon Library when I was student.

Comment

• Conchis
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                Good title for my autobiography ...

Funnily enough I had just been looking at getting the Solti Elektra which I don't have as a recording and last listened to nearly 50 years ago on LPs borrowed from Croydon Library when I was student.
                                I still think it's the best recording of the work and is unlikely to be bettered. And I'm not the biggest fan of Nilsson.

This was John Culshaw's penultimate production for Decca and it's the one where some people think he went over the top: Klytemnestra's 'treated' cackling, the wailing from Chrystothemis that begins the second disc and with Solti sounding like he'd arrived at the sessions having downed fifteen espressos. But I love it - all of it - truly one of my desert island recordings!

Comment

Working...
                                X