• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    ...and we are not all London based!
    Perhaps we should all move to Edinburgh: pastoralguy seems to get most of his bargains in the charity shops there!

Comment

• Conchis
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Perhaps we should all move to Edinburgh: pastoralguy seems to get most of his bargains in the charity shops there!
      Indeed! When I was there in the summer, I had only one morning free before heading home - in the space of three hours', the weight of my baggage seemed to double!

And, as has bee noted - mainly by me - Alfreton is a bit of a goldmine for bargains, too.

Comment

• AmpH
        • Feb 2012

Harold Moores Record Shop in London closed until further notice due to operational reasons - according to the notice I saw in the shop window as I passed at lunchtime today

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
          Harold Moores Record Shop in London closed until further notice due to operational reasons - according to the notice I saw in the shop window as I passed at lunchtime today
          I wonder what that could mean? Could be anything...

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
            Indeed! When I was there in the summer, I had only one morning free before heading home - in the space of three hours', the weight of my baggage seemed to double!

And, as has bee noted - mainly by me - Alfreton is a bit of a goldmine for bargains, too.
            But no fringe!

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Not sure where to put this - I thought there was a Download discussion thread visible.

Anyway, this offer of the week of horn music sounds interesting -
              The 19th century saw huge developments in the design of many musical instruments. In some cases changes were adopted more or less universally: the fortepiano that Mozart

Not a super bargain, but the music sounds interesting enough, and if the performances are good could be worth a punt and there is the possibility of 24/96 FLAC for those who want that.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... also available as a CD - interesting (but not a bargain) :

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... also available as a CD - interesting (but not a bargain) :

http://amzn.eu/5I0oI3t
                  .... at that price the download does become a bargain - if you want it.

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

A couple of weeks ago (probably longer) on this thread, Ana-Marija Markovina's CPE Bach 26cd set of piano music on Hanssler was an item of interest. It now appears as part of a 54cd box of CPE Bach. The latter is going for £55.66 on AmUk i.e. the piano music is about 27 pounds worth of the box - significantly better than the latest price discussed quite recently. Looks like a good deal if you want more CPE.

There is however an MP seller on AmFr selling it new for £41.53 delivered i.e. £20 for the complete piano music content. I have snapped up a copy.
                    Édition: Markovina/Rilling, Markovina/Rilling, Cpe Bach: Amazon.fr | Formats: CD, Vinyl, MP3 |Livraison gratuite dès 25 € d'achat

Previously, I owned the 30cd Brilliant Classics CPE Bach Edition, but for a composer I hold in high esteem I found it too often dreary and a very mixed bag because for me many of the performances were wanting. I sold it for exactly what I bought it for - £31 from Selections (I wonder what happened to them? Last I heard they were selling gardening gear.) The Brilliant box has more vocal music but only about 5 discs of piano music.
                    Last edited by hafod; 14-03-17, 18:26.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                      Carl Philipp Emanual Bach

jpc.de "Offer of the Week" : https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...e/hnum/4070269
                      Can you remember what price it was when you posted the link?

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                        A couple of weeks ago (probably longer) on this thread, Ana-Marija Markovina's CPE Bach 26cd set of piano music on Hanssler was an item of interest. It now appears as part of a 54cd box of CPE Bach. The latter is going for £55.66 on AmUk i.e. the piano music is about 27 pounds worth of the box - significantly better than the latest price discussed quite recently. Looks like a good deal if you want more CPE.

There is however an MP seller on AmFr selling it new for £41.53 delivered i.e. £20 for the complete piano music content. I have snapped up a copy.

Previously, I owned the 30cd Brilliant Classics CPE Bach Edition, but for a composer I hold in high esteem I found it too often dreary and a very mixed bag because for me many of the performances were wanting. I sold it for exactly what I bought it for - £31 from Selections (I wonder what happened to them? Last I heard they were selling gardening gear.) The Brilliant box has more vocal music but only about 5 discs of the piano music.
                        Selections still has CDs, though perhaps doesn't go out of its way to advertise much at present. More for clothes pegs and bird seed at the moment. There's not really much there, though they do sometimes have a resurgence.

Just try putting Mozart or Beethoven or any other compser into the search box on the Selections site - for example - http://www.selections.com/catalogsea...&q=Tchaikovsky

Are all of the CPE Bach piano CDs previously discussed in the larger box you mention?

Comment

• hafod
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Are all of the CPE Bach piano CDs previously discussed in the larger box you mention?
                          The Hanssler box of the piano music only (currently on jpc for €40) is 26 discs. There are also 26 discs of piano music in the larger box - it says so on the back of the box. I doubt if Hanssler has two piano cycles although I have not found a precise listing. I took the plunge - he who hesitates is sloshed (or words to that effect.)

Comment

• hafod
                            • Nov 2010

The Hanssler box of the piano music only (currently on jpc for €40) is 26 discs. There are also 26 discs of piano music in the larger box - it says so on the back of the box. I doubt if Hanssler has two piano cycles although I have not found a precise listing. I took the plunge - he who hesitates is sloshed (or words to that effect.)
                            Dave - Collateral:
                            Die CD Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach: Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach Edition jetzt portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach gibt es im Shop.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Plus also the piano discs are only slightly cheaper at jpc.de than the larger box at am.fr from the mp seller. I'm not sloshed!

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                anybody got the 20th Century Italian Piano Music Brilliant Classics box?

£8/£10 download, same price on Amazon more or less.
                                Not now available as a download from Presto, though the Amazon mp3 seems still available at under a tenner. There's also a volume 2 if you look for it.

You can also listen on Qobuz - http://open.qobuz.com/album/5029365947022 This seems to be the whole thing. Also the Volume 2 is there.

OTOH I noticed recently that some tracks on Qobuz are only sample tracks, which is annoying/disappointing. Most of the tracks of pieces conducted by Helmut Rilling are of that nature. There is the set of 10 Rilling CDs at jpc.de https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...n/hnum/3503141 - which I thought I might be able to assess by using Qobuz, but unfortunately that didn't work too well or help much.

Comment

Working...
                                X