X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Apart from the offer on Talisker whisky pointed out on another thread, Amazon UK also seem to be having a 2 for £10 offer on various CDs today. It took a while to find any, and also to test out whether the offer really worked, but I ordered a recently pointed out CD of Havergal Brian (Symphony 6 etc. - normally £5.99) plus the Takacs Quartet playing Britten quartets on Hyperion - normally over £13, and when I put that lot into my basket it did indeed come out at £10 for the 2 x CDs. There's a set of Kovacevitch playing Beethoven concertos with Colin Davis as one of the 2 for £10 deal, so others may like to try. I was slightly tempted, but I have them already I think, so no need to get yet another set. It's not easy to filter the 2 for £10 as well as Classical - so I just started from high value items and worked down - since I'd already decided on the Havergal Brian CD. Took about six pages to get to the deals I wanted.

There do seem to be offers today - not sure why. Others may find a way to filter to get to the bargain offers more easily.
    If you do not have the Kovacevich/Davis Beethoven concertos do not hesitate . It is a glorious set .

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      If you do not have the Kovacevich/Davis Beethoven concertos do not hesitate . It is a glorious set .
      I am sure I have multiple copies of tte original CDs already. The Amazon 2 for £10 offer still seems to be active - https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_l...d_i=B00U2OT186 though as I mentioned earlier, it's tricky to find CDs to make it worthwhile. Requires effort.

Add in Alexander Walker's Havergal Brian Symphonies 6,28,29,31 on Naxos, and you should get both for £!0.

Alternatively, look for Takacs Quartet Britten Quartest on Hyperion, or finally try to do your own searches.

Comment

• hafod
        • Nov 2010

I am sure I have multiple copies of tte original CDs already. The Amazon 2 for £10 offer still seems to be active - https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_l...d_i=B00U2OT186 though as I mentioned earlier, it's tricky to find CDs to make it worthwhile. Requires effort.

Add in Alexander Walker's Havergal Brian Symphonies 6,28,29,31 on Naxos, and you should get both for £!0.

Alternatively, look for Takacs Quartet Britten Quartest on Hyperion, or finally try to do your own searches.
        Yes, it is still active as I bought two this morning: Other nuggets include:

Berlioz: Grande Messe des Morts Hybrid SACD Davis LSO Live

Berlioz: L'enfance du Christ Ticciati on Linn (Hybrid CD)

Verdi Requiem Barenboim (2012)

Britten: Cello Symphony, Sonata & Suites 2cd on Hyperion

Beethoven: Complete Violin Sonatas

I don't understand why it is 'tricky to find cds' - simply click on 'classical' on the sidebar in Dave's first link. Granted many Naxos but that is no bad thing plus the usual dross but it does not take long to scroll through especially if you select the 'image view' with 60 to the page.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          Did anybody get that Idil Biret 20th century piano edition set at ££29.23? Ordered 7 May and still waiting. Amazon lists only one set at £111.99. I have a feeling I'll never get the set.
          Same here,not going to happen is it!

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

When I get to the checkout the discount is not being applied and the full prices are still shown ?

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
              • Jan 2014

I finalised a purchase 5 minutes ago and it was applied as I went to the payment page. And it included an additional CD not in the offer and just added that on to the £30 cost of the 6 CD items.
              Thanks for the heads up. (As has been noted, Amazon isn't often the most competitive these days).

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

How odd - seems to be working now but wasn't earlier .

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

How odd - seems to be working now but wasn't earlier .
                  There are some possible glitches. The promotions are not applied until the checkout stage. I put in 10 CDs, but the charge came to more than £50+small postage (should have been free?). So then I started taking out CDs - eventually got down to 6 which I guess includes one or two which are worth quite a lot - for around £33.

This link might help - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=lp_74...58&rnid=520920

should now be restricted to Classical and 2 for £10 offer - but comes up in random order each time.

THere are about 23 web pages to scan through - mostly Naxos, but a few other things. I didn't want the Britten Cello Symphony, and although I did put the Kovacevich/Davis Beethoven in my original 10, I took it out again when I was trying to sort out the cost and the promotions.

Looks as though for some reason the Free Delivery doesn't always kick in - and another factor might be whether all the CDs are supplied by Amazon. The cost calculations do seem a bit erratic - so you may have to just settle for something which you consider reasonable, even if not perhaps "correct" by your estimates.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks for the heads-up

Beethoven PCs etc. (Kovacevich), Berlioz Requiem (Davis), Brahms Clarinet 5tet (Collins) and Britten Cello works (Hyperion) ordered for £20!

Now just need time to listen to them :-(

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

i am still puzzled as to why I have 6 items, but a charge of £32.99. I have been through each item, and each should qualify for free delivery, and each is in the 2 for £10 offer, so why isn't my bill £30? I don't seem to be able to change the delivery, either, which is sometimes a reason why the delivery isn't free. Very odd.

Write it off to experience I guess, but something doesn't feel right.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                        • Nov 2010

i am still puzzled as to why I have 6 items, but a charge of £32.99. I have been through each item, and each should qualify for free delivery, and each is in the 2 for £10 offer, so why isn't my bill £30? I don't seem to be able to change the delivery, either, which is sometimes a reason why the delivery isn't free. Very odd.

Write it off to experience I guess, but something doesn't feel right.
                        It changes when you hit "buy". If it doesn't, just cancel!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                            It changes when you hit "buy". If it doesn't, just cancel!
                            I could do Cancel, but I'd have to be reasonably sure I could get some of the items again. Maybe I'll do that later.

I have now cancelled and completely redone my order, and got it down to £20. One CD which seems to have messed up the accounting is this one with Josef Kaufmann - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Jonas-...words=Kaufmann
                            With that one included there are postal charges and the numbers don't work.

Perhaps the problem is that it was supplied by another seller - although Fulfilled by Amazon. I may try to fix that later.

In fact it looks as though it can be bought for £4.49+£1.26 from a marketplace seller - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...&condition=new so not a great deal of point in worrying about the Amazon offer if it cause problems on checkout.

After all that I put the Beethoven concertos back on the list - so maybe someone will get a decent Christmas present - not bad for a fiver!

Not sure how long this offer business will stick around - might try for another £20s worth tomorrow!
                            Last edited by Dave2002; 15-06-16, 20:13.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Selections currently have some reasonable offers.

Sir Adrian Boult Conducts Elgar 5CDs just £4.99

Arthur Grumiaux The Art of the Violin 7CDs just £5.99

Beethoven Piano Sonatas 9CDs just £4.99

Verdi Operas 18CDs just £7.99

Mozart Operas 9CDs just £5.99

Puccini The Operas 13CDs just £4.99

The Art of Richter 6CDs just £5.99

Chopin Piano Works 6CDs just £5.99

Russian Violin Concertos 3CDs just £3.99

These are from Regis, and the recordings may not be to everyone's taste, but I have some already.

Another single CD which is worth the money is Steinberg's performance of Brahms 4, which is 50p. That originates from Everest (see the thread on Mercury Living Presence in the techhies area) - and I played my copy this afternoon. I don't know how it would have compared with the originals, and I don't think it's as good as some of the best of today's recordings - but it's fairly decent. The performance is OK to good, but not as good as some of the best I've ever heard. For example, Steinberg really slows things down at the end, where the music should be pushing on, but for anyone curious about recordings this is really got to be worth a punt.

http://www.selections.com/brahms-symphony-4.html 50p

I think this is the only Everest originated recording the current tranche of offers.

Comment

• Pianorak
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                Same here,not going to happen is it!
                                A glimmer of hope?
                                Received today: Hello,

We're still trying to obtain the following item[s] you ordered on May 07 2016

Idil Biret "20Th Century Piano Box [Idil Biret] [Naxos: 8501504]"

We're awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier
                                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                                X