• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Staying off topic for a moment......
    Interested that you chose Arnold's own recording of number 4 (presumably Lyrita).
    I have it too, but it is very slow: 54' 11" compared with Penny's 37' 47”!

I have the Naxos set, the LPO Arnold 4 on Lyrita, and others on a couple of EMI issues: numbers 1 (Bournemouth/Arnold), 2 (Bournemouth/Groves), and 5 (CBSO/Arnold). Tempted by the forthcoming bargain box, but I already have some concerto recordings too.

Is there really a Groves 5, or was that wishful thinking?
    Hiya Pulcinella,

That's quite a difference in timing in Symphony No. 4 between the Arnold and Penny accounts. Is it possible that Penny made cuts?

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      Hiya Pulcinella,

That's quite a difference in timing in Symphony No. 4 between the Arnold and Penny accounts. Is it possible that Penny made cuts?
      I haven't listened that closely. But I don't think it's lack of exposition repeats! (Very red face if it is!)
      Let's hope someone more learned knows. I think that Arnold was present at the Penny recordings, so presumably he approved of the tempi.
      Individual movement timings are as follows.
      Arnold: 18' 48", 5' 40", 18' 40", 11' 03"
      Penny: 13' 00", 5' 01", 11' 36", 7' 59"

But then, Arnold is lugubrious in the Sarabande from Solitaire too: 5' 39" with the LPO, and 5' 47" with Bournemouth, compared with 3' 09" for Thomson with The Philharmonia.

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

The Arnold Fourth is a slow burn performance especially in (i) and I find it very compelling. Other performances can't help seem matter of fact by comparison. A quite outstanding recording quality, vintage Lyrita, is no hindrance to pleasure. It's also one of those instances where the LPO sound the best orchestra in the world.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Staying off topic for a moment......
          Interested that you chose Arnold's own recording of number 4 (presumably Lyrita).
          I have it too, but it is very slow: 54' 11" compared with Penny's 37' 47”!

I have the Naxos set, the LPO Arnold 4 on Lyrita, and others on a couple of EMI issues: numbers 1 (Bournemouth/Arnold), 2 (Bournemouth/Groves), and 5 (CBSO/Arnold). Tempted by the forthcoming bargain box, but I already have some concerto recordings too.

Is there really a Groves 5, or was that wishful thinking?
          Double doh ! Meant CBSO Arnold (c/w the Groves 2)
          Wishful thinking indeed, or a senior moment.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            Hiya Pulcinella,

No cuts Stan.
            I did find that the Lyrita Arnold 4 took some getting used to at one time now it just seems to make absolute sense

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              The Arnold Fourth is a slow burn performance especially in (i) and I find it very compelling. Other performances can't help seem matter of fact by comparison. A quite outstanding recording quality, vintage Lyrita, is no hindrance to pleasure. It's also one of those instances where the LPO sound the best orchestra in the world.

Although I don't think it makes other interpretations sound matter of fact Alison, just different but equally compelling.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Arnold leaves me cold . I had that Conifer recording of concertos but they were pretty forgettable - the Arnold 1 as on the BBCMM Cd of a few years back I couldn't stick at all .

Is there anything that could be recommended to an Arnoldphobe to seek to convert them ?

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  Arnold leaves me cold . I had that Conifer recording of concertos but they were pretty forgettable - the Arnold 1 as on the BBCMM Cd of a few years back I couldn't stick at all .

Is there anything that could be recommended to an Arnoldphobe to seek to convert them ?
                  The flute concertos are pleasant enough, though not earth shattering. Didn't Arnold also write some flute pieces for use at competitions?

I do enjoy the Scottish and English dances - on a good day!

Beautiful piece by Sir Malcolm Arnold: Four Scottish Dances, Op. 59. Performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Sir Arnold himself, 1959.Mo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeL_vhMpIgA - this I generally like

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

I do enjoy the Scottish and English dances - on a good day!
                    ...or the Cornish Dances any day - what great tunes!

Peterloo, Tam and Padstow Lifeboat I enjoy too. MA could write serious symphonies Vaughan Williams meets Shostakovich, but also had fun with music.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Alison View Post

I treasure that CD. Yes it's a tad broad, but what an all-round performance.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

I'd suggest the First Violin Sonata , and the Piano Trio.
                        Both on the first Nash ensemble CD, if you can find it online.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Conchis
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2014

Malcolm Arnold's only appearance in my collection is in Deep Purple's Concerto For Rock Group & Orchestra, in which he conducts the RPO.

I don't doubt that this is far and away the best selling disc he ever put his name to.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Cheers teamsaint - shall investigate.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

You should try the Lyrita disc of his English and other dances. If you don't thoroughly enjoy this music making of the highest order, you can at least feel comfortable that Arnold is not for you.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Arnold leaves me cold ... Is there anything that could be recommended to an Arnoldphobe to seek to convert them ?
                                Try this first:

Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006) (GB)Symphonie n°5 (1961) 2/3 **MUST HEAR**Dir : Richard Hickox...2- Andante con moto. Adagio (11.24)...PART III : http://www.yout...

... and if it tantalises the taste buds, try it in the context of the whole work:

Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006) (GB°Symphonie n°5 (1961) 1/3 **MUST HEAR**Dir : Richard Hickox1- Tempestuoso (9.44)...PART II : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9...

If neither this nor the various sets of Dances appeals, then he's probably not for you. If it does, then the other symphonies (which I think are his best works) are an ocean you can navigate across in your own good time - many of them available on YouTube.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X